“Good atmos, friendly stuff and decent eats.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sprig and Fern
Ranked #239 of 904 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good atmos, friendly stuff and decent eats.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I live nearby and fancied a close walk for a drink on a long weekend afternoon. We were both feeling well-behaved so didn't partake in the large range if their own beers etc. on offer, but instead had some non-alcoholics and some cheese. The cheeseboard we had for $17.50 was magic. Blue cheese, a hard cheese and some brie/camambert with chutney, onions, crackers and warm bread hit the spot nicely. Big enough to justify the price and a great little mid-afternoon snack. I reckon it could easily be a snack for 3-4 as it is quite generous.

We'll be back in the near future, and highly likely to try some of the beers!

• Visited January 2013

Rotorua, New Zealand
“A proper pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Yep I've been here before but called in this eve after a break. Hoped to have a swift one but left 2 hrs later! Staff, of course, were nice, but I simply spoke to different regulars and it was great. Time flew by, made some new 'friends' of varying degrees...but that is one of the great things about this pub, you can simply be there ..and be part of it. (others I spoke to simply wished they had a similar pub close to here they lived...which i think indicates how well the owners & staff have done in making you feel welcome).

• Visited January 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Great little "pub"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I deliberately used the quotations around the word pub, as I have found the Sprig and Fern to be one of a few proper pub style establishments in Wellington (still remorsing the closing of the Harp off Lambton Quay).

Frequenting the Sprig since opening, I have always found it to be welcoming and sort of hugs you, a feeling amiss since living in the UK. Friday nights can get very busy, but at other times in the week if lucky not to be working, its a great spot to sit with a book or friends and watch the world go by.

A key selling point is the beer, brewed by their own brewery, and god it is good. And if you don't find it to your liking, try another type. There is a broad spectrum of beer types as well as the seasonal. I would find myself having certain beers at certain sessions (pilsner on a friday evening, best bitter on a sunday arvo). A full imperial pint and starting at $8, its slightly better value than a lot of the craft bars in town.

It is worth including this place on a tour of the botanical gardens and the cable car, as it makes a pretty rounded day.

Like others have mentioned, the food arrangements are slightly different but work very well, and so much better than trying to serve up too much variety with little success.

For me, a must do for any beer lovers in the region.

• Visited October 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best little ale house in Wellington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you are planning a sightseeing day put the Beehive tour on the late afternoon slot, walk your way up through the Bolton Street cemetery ending up on the corner of Tinakori Rd and Bolton Street. Here in a quaint little wooden two storey building you will find the amiable staff of the Sprig and Fern serving the best selection of local ales. A great way to waste an hour or two. Following this try one of the great little cafe restaurants along Tinakori Road for a meal. Bound to find one to suit. Located close enough to the CBD to walk (10 mins) or take one of the many buses or taxis. The Thorndon village is the best remaining example in Wellington of early settlement buildings still in use. Just along the road are the Botanic Gardens, if you have moderate fitness, haul up the picturesque gardens hill to the Cable car and be dropped back into the centre of town.
Enjoy.

Visited October 2012
Vancouver
“I wish I lived in Wellington for this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

This little pub is amazing. Not only was there a massive selection of craft beer but it was a cozy and warm place to wind up an evening in Wellington. I had a porter and my husband had a doppelback - beers were about $8-11 per pint. Which is about the going rate for craft brews in this city.

Well worth stopping in and I'm sorry we won't be back to try their upcoming release - ruby ale. I wish I lived in Wellington so that I could join their book club and go to their quiz night! This would definitely be my local. And I wouldn't get sick of the beers because there are so many and both we tried were lovely.

Keep up the great work!