“I miss the old MOF :(”

Ministry of Food Catering
Ranked #665 of 908 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Cafe, Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We provide quality catering to Wellington with affordable and adaptable menu options, reliable delivery service and friendly people who care. Call us or email for your next catering order.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“I miss the old MOF :(”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I used to be one of the regulars spoken about in previous reviews, many a Friday evening has been whiled away over the years in the ‘smoking garden’ nibbling on great pate washed down with a good variety of boutique beer. It used to be a really great set up, perfect for a wind down at the end of the working week, especially in summer with the blankets on the lawn and cruisy background music. It was an excellent place to catch up with friends, start a night out, or have a relaxed informal business meeting. However my experiences there of late have left me feeling really disappointed and unwilling to go back. They seem to have recently hired a lot of bored looking girls with bad attitudes, they treat you like a nuisance and are often downright rude, they have zero sense of humour and would clearly rather be somewhere else. It is not unusual to see burnt food on display, the coffee has become decidedly average and the once legendary cheese scones have shrunk dramatically; I haven’t had one in months as I refuse to pay $4 for a scone half the size of a bar of soap. Please guys, think about a return to the good old days before you lose the cash cow you’re so blasé about sitting on.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Patsy_nz

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over priced with rude staff”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I used to be a daily regular (sometimes buying 2-3 coffees and food in a day) and a regular for an after work tipple with friends on a Friday.

My friends and I now try to avoid the place whenever possible. The weather can sometimes force us to relent and go there.

The staff are just overly rude. My friends and I have all been offended by them and their attitude. Apparently it's a priviledge to spend your hard earned money there.

The coffee is mediocre at best. Whilst the food is nice like everything else in the place it is grossly over priced.

In summary : Don't go if you're easily offended or expect even reasonable customer service, don't expect a great coffee, the food is good but you'll pay a premium for it.

My friends and I are like many others working in close proximity who are now finding alternatives!

Shame on you MOF for your complete disregard to your customers

1 Thank Lio-chase
Eglisau, Switzerland
“Cozy regular”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

In a wasteland of Wellington bureacrats, the Ministry of Food (or MOF to its nearest and dearest) is a beacon of low lighting, strong coffee and free-flowing drinks. One of the few independent cafes among the chains.
Recently refurbished with lush orange velour and Sweden-inspired dandelion patterns, this is a great place for early morning pick-me-ups, coffee, lunch or after work drinks.
Not sure what to order? Recently I asked for a perky drink with low alcohol content but a bit of a kick and the staff mixed me a delish elderflower and ginger tall drink with a shot of vodka.
Some government officials rate MOF's cheese scones as the best in town. Go early before they sell out. Also try the savory brioches.
Last winter MOF had a live jazz band on Friday evenings.
The garden (for smokers and the hardy in winter winds) is framed with herbs, a huge puka and a prolific clematis. The garden is great in summer in the afternoons.
Staff are quirky but mostly friendly and helpful.
Top tip: wine is better value by the bottle.
Clientele: 90% government officials.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank RosemarieNorth
mofianz, Owner at Ministry of Food Catering, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank-you for your lovely review. Over the last year we have put a great deal of effort into re-vamping the Ministry of Food Cafe. After all the uncertainty surrounding our building its been a bit of a roller coaster ride but we are now busier than ever. So it is great to hear from people who are enjoying the new environs but with the same commitment to service that we are proud of.
Regards,