“No longer our choice for a good steak...”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #29 of 911 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse, European, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
“No longer our choice for a good steak...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We had been to Portlander about three times prior and had enjoyed the evenings there. We hadn't been for a while and thought we'd return as it was a good place to get a decent steak
.. Unfortunately we did not enjoy the dining experience last night.
We started with oysters... We asked to have eight (four each) .. But we were told we could only order either six or 12.... Given they come individually and six cost $24... they could easily charge $32 for eight.... I couldn't understand the inflexibility...
The six we had were good
We both had the Wakanui steak... Mine was "ok" .. But my husband did not enjoy his saying it was 'chewy'.
When you order steak that's all you get. For $34 you get the steak and a choice of a sauce so you have to order sides. We had sautéed Brussels sprouts with bacon, and pumpkin with honey and thyme.... Sound good? They weren't. Both a bit on the hard side.... Not very tasty, and very small portions - and I couldn't find any bacon, nor did there seem to be much honey.... Really disappointing
My husband mentioned the poor steak to the waitress when she cleared our plates. She apologised etc.. Then later offered us a free coffee ......?
When we went to pay the maître'd asked about the meal, so my husband mentioned the steak - she was aware of it .. and apologised but gave us no concession...
It's a shame as in the past it was a good place for a good steak, but we won't return.
I also don't like tables being set up around me...for breakfast or dinner the next day... I feel this could be done after guests leave... But that's just me. It just doesn't create a good atmosphere.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank annieandnick
Rhiannon B, Sales Exec at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Hi Annie,

Very unfortunate to see this, and first thing this morning I passed your concerns onto our manager Antonio. If you wouldn't mind getting in touch at my email rhiannon_beavan@portlander.co.nz he would love to invite you in to personally discuss your experience. Its such a shame since your previous review for Portlander titled 'a new favorite' was wonderful. We would be most disappointed to loose an extremely valued customer.

We hope to speak to you soon,

• Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good atmosphere, good food, okay service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Came for a lunch for a work friend's farewell. Ordered the semi-dried tomato tart tartain, which was not semi-dried tomatoes but roasted, but it was delicious anyway. We had requested one table for all twenty of us but got two instead. When our drinks order was taken it was like our table was split in two again, with the servers not knowing what the other was doing. I asks what flavours of Rekorderlig they had and the server took ten minutes to find out they only had two. Other than that it was enjoyable, and I'd probably come again.

Rhiannon B, Sales Exec at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi Brian,

I really appreciate your feedback about lunch last week. I have talked with chef about the menu description and we're changing the desceription slightly on your reccomendation.
As for the table plan, I do apologise but we couldn't fit in a long table of twenty that day. In saying this we should not have been confused over your drinks and the service even though in two tables should have run smoothly. My apologies again but thank you for saying that you would still return. I look forward to seeing you soon and you may like to know we have Strawberry & Lime Rekorderlig coming later this month.

London, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere, value and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I dined here with one other for lunch and Portlander was packed out and had a great atmosphere. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted by a friendly waitress and promptly seated.

The lunch menu is extensive and very well-priced for a nice restaurant. Once we had ordered the food came out promptly.

I had the vegetarian quesadilla with a french green salad while my friend really enjoyed her braised beef cheeks and broccolini with walnuts.

This would be an excellent place for a business lunch or for a nice meal in the evening, I will be back again.

• Visited May 2014
Rhiannon B, Sales exec at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for letting us know what a great time you had at lunch the other day, we really appreciate the great feedback.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice looking restaurant not so nice tasting food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was really looking forward to trying the Portlander for the first time. I’d heard about their great burgers and had been in for a drink and the ambiance was great! Unfortunately though it was a really big let down. We started with bluff oysters, the naturals ones were a bit warm where every other restaurant I've been to they've been chilled. They came out on top of a a few sad looking pieces of rocket which was not appealing. We got a dozen 3 different ways between 4 of us so we each got to try one of each type. The naturals ones did not taste fresh, the only ones edible were the deep fried ones but everyone knows anything deep fried is hard to ruin because it all taste the same! The mains were mediocre 3 of us finished our mains but they were nothing to write home about especially for the price. The 4th persons dish the leguine with prawns was really disappointing although they were not shy with the number of prawns which was good. However the pasta could be compared to 2 minute noodles not well prepared and a bit tasteless. In the end it got taken off the bill and we got a free dessert. We all decided to order different desserts unfortunately the only one I could recommend would be the cheese board. A really unacceptable meal especially for the prices.

• Visited May 2014
Hello Trisna,

My name is Rhiannon and I am the Portlander Sales Executive. I have been looking into your review, could you please supply me with an email address or phone number so I could get in contact to discuss your experience a bit more. rhiannon_beavan@portlander.co.nz

Kind Regards,

Mudgee,
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We ate here several times during our stay in Wellington. Amazing food!
Menu is extensive with good variety. Breakfast buffet the best I've ever experienced. Dinner was outstanding, the steaks superb.
The only downside was that some of the staff spoke quite rudely to one another within earshot, which didn't fit with the otherwise polished service. The Restaurant Manager, in particular was very personable.

Visited March 2014
Hi Katie,

Thank you for the feedback on your visits here. We love the breakfast buffett and steaks too!
Especially thank you for letting us know about the tone staff spoke to eachother in. I have had a talk with all our FOH staff about this issue and really hope this never happens again. It's just not what we would expect from our awesome team.

Thanks again for letting me know, hope to see you back again in you're in Wellington.