“Great for groups”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #40 of 963 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I dined here with 12 other colleagues for lunch recently and I was thoroughly impressed. As we we a large group we decided to pre-order our lunch mains. This was very easy to do as we could email them through to the kitchen. This meant that we could all enjoy our lunch within our lunch hour.

The service is friendly and our table was nicely set up. I enjoyed a lamb burger which was very tasty as the lamb was so tender. The food is very reasonably priced which was suprising considering the quality.

Our drinks did take a while to be served, however, overall it was a fantastic lunch.

Rhiannon B, Sales at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Hi Olivia,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. Pre ordering lunches is a fantastic idea for those larger groups, that lunch hour is precious! I remember your table and my apologies for the drinks being slightly behind the food, I hope we'll see you again and can remedy that.

Regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2014

The food is really excellent. We had 1kg spareribs, which fall of the bone and the eye fillet with bearnaise sauce. The quality is superb.
Tip: ask for Ivan as waiter, he is awesome!

Rhiannon B, Sales & Marketing at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Hi there,

We really appreciate the time you took to leave a review. I also LOVE the ribs, so i'm glad you enjoyed them! I'll be sure to let Ivan know that he's your hot tip :)

See you again soon,

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Strange place. It seemed OK when we booked
First - music like a disco blaring - it's a restaurant guys!
Thank you for turning it down when asked
Next... don't send two separate waiter over within two minutes of sitting asking for orders.
Last... Steak - 100% naked on the plate (where is the presentation & garnish)?
It was awful looking. Thank goodness we had sides ordered

Rhiannon B, Sales at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, I wanted to let you know that with our brand new winter menu release some changes have been made to the steak presentation that I think you would be happy with.
My apologies also if you felt rushed during your meal with us. That is most certainly not our intention, we just aim to be there for our customers every need, though we may have been a bit too attentive on this occasion and your comments have been noted.

I hope you would give us another chance to impress next time you're in Wellington.

Regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a night out for our wedding anniversary. Lovely meal and Ivan the waiter was wonderfully polite, thoughtful and efficient.

Thank you very much for the time you took to leave a review and happy wedding anniversary.
Ivan is a true hospitality star there's no doubt about it, so thank you for leaving great feedback for him, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have been going to Rydges regularly and always really enjoy the food.

They are amazing as a steak restaurant (they really know how to cook Steak to whatever your taste is), but I mainly go for lunch. The have brilliant value for money burgers, a smaller lunch time steak and really taste sides.

As amazing as the food is, what really makes this place so great, is the people who work there, they are friendly and go out of their way to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Mel is so friendly and lovely before you know it you'll feel like you've been friends forever, Dom is charming and good for a laugh, and Antonio (the manager) always stops to say hello and check that everything is going well.

I strongly recommend Rydges and all the people I have taken there have loved it.

1  Thank HelenDawkins

Hi Helen,

Thank you so very much for leaving this lovely review. We also love having our regulars in for a chat and really value your loyalty to lunching with us!
Mel, Dom and Antonio are huge assetts to the team and it's great for them to hear positive feedback, thank you Helen and hopefully we'll see you today for lunch.