“Excellent food and service.”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #34 of 956 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a night out for our wedding anniversary. Lovely meal and Ivan the waiter was wonderfully polite, thoughtful and efficient.

Rhiannon B, Sales at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you very much for the time you took to leave a review and happy wedding anniversary.
Ivan is a true hospitality star there's no doubt about it, so thank you for leaving great feedback for him, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have been going to Rydges regularly and always really enjoy the food.

They are amazing as a steak restaurant (they really know how to cook Steak to whatever your taste is), but I mainly go for lunch. The have brilliant value for money burgers, a smaller lunch time steak and really taste sides.

As amazing as the food is, what really makes this place so great, is the people who work there, they are friendly and go out of their way to make your visit as pleasant as possible. Mel is so friendly and lovely before you know it you'll feel like you've been friends forever, Dom is charming and good for a laugh, and Antonio (the manager) always stops to say hello and check that everything is going well.

I strongly recommend Rydges and all the people I have taken there have loved it.

1  Thank HelenDawkins

Hi Helen,

Thank you so very much for leaving this lovely review. We also love having our regulars in for a chat and really value your loyalty to lunching with us!
Mel, Dom and Antonio are huge assetts to the team and it's great for them to hear positive feedback, thank you Helen and hopefully we'll see you today for lunch.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Excellent value-for-money Valentine's evening supper. Really helpful waiter who fitted us in at the last minute. He showed great patience in helping up chose suitable wines. It was amusing to have bubbles in a 'Marie Antoinette' champagne saucer!

Rhiannon B, Sales Exec at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

We're so glad you were able to enjoy our special valentines day event last minute. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and I hope you were able to get a rose with your meal!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The restaurant and its adjacent bar were the redeeming features of the Rydges hotel (see my 2* review). Staff at both were helpful, efficient and knowledgeable. Steaks are their main event and my medium rare sirloin was cooked to perfection. Wine list reasonably prices.

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review.
We've just released a new wine list that may interest you on your next visit through Wellington.

Hope to see you again then,

Reviewed March 26, 2014

After two very enjoyable dinners here within the the last six months, my wife and I were eagerly looking forward to dining here again recently with our three friends.
Our three friends had really wanted to dine at another nearby restaurant but I told them the Portlander Bar and Grill would be the better choice, So we all came to the Portlander again.

I WISH WE HADN'T...........WHY??

(1) Extremely Poor Service.

No waiter or waitress attended to us after we were seated at our table. After a full 20 minutes, I had to physically get up and ask a waitress over to give us menus and some water to drink.

Although the restaurant was really full and busy when we arrived, there is really no excuse for the bad service we received. All we had was two jugs of water to drink all evening.............no wine waiter had bothered to come around to our table to attend to our drinks requirements.

(2) Poor Food Preparations Standards.

Three of our five guests had ordered the same Fish of the Day mains at $38.00. It was served only "warm". My three friends said it wasn't enjoyable to eat.........only just passable.
Worse was to come; My wife had ordered the Pistachio Lamb mains. Again, it was only served "warm". There was lamb served though without any real signs of any pistachio nuts or pistachio flavor to be tasted. I had ordered this same dish on two previous occasions before, and the Pistachio Lamb was always full of pistachio nut flavor.......but definitely not this time!
My mains was the Rib Eye Steak which was nice and hot and full of flavor. If only the other four mains were served like mine, then we all would have been a lot happier.

The three side dishes of green beans, flat mushroom pieces, and beetroot pieces at $8.00 each were pathetically "small" and certainly not good value

(3) Poor Quality Desserts. The Apple Crumble at $14.00 was "okay", but the Tiramisu with Strawberries at $14.00 also,came served with "no" strawberries at all.

(4) The Manager's Bad Attitude.

When I voiced our numerous complaints to the Operational Manager "Antonio", we found him to be unfriendly, extremely difficult and uncooperative. After five minutes of much unnecessary arguing, he decided, to his credit, not charge us for both desserts ordered.

So, what was hopefully an enjoyable evening food-wise, had turned out to be a real "fizzer" for us all. We would find it difficult to return to dine at this establishment again at anytime soon.

1  Thank WellytownPhil