“If this place were one block closer to the sea you'd need to book a month in advance.”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #41 of 979 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast is an experience, dinner is heavenly. Lunchs are wellingtons best kept secret - gourmet cuisine exceptionally well priced.

Has to be one of nzs best steak houses/grills. Took a fan of auckland's jervois steak house here - hes a convert. Try the wakanui eye fillet or the long bones . Devine.

Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hi there. Thank you for your great review! We certainly appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I’m glad that our signature dish, the OP Long bone rib, was to your liking. It truly is a stunning cut of meat! I’m sure we will see you again.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We wanted a quick meal before the rugby game and decided on a burger. We had some garlic bread to begin with at the waiters suggestion. This was lightly grilled pita bread with pesto and a limited amount of garlic plus a dollop of tomato relish which we spread over the portion we shared. The meal arrived promptly and was tasty enough with a homemade pattie, cheese, tomato and lettuce plus a spicy relish. However the burger bun was huge and we both struggled to finish it. The shoe string fries were delicious.
Although the steaks looked tempting and is what this restaurant is gaining a claim to fame for, the cost was considerable once sides were added to the steak and sauce only meal.

Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Hello. Thank you for reviewing Portlander. We appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience and enjoyed the meals that you ordered. You are correct in saying that our steaks are our signature dish and we believe they are correctly priced for their quality and portion. All of your comments have been passed onto the Portlander executive team for them to consider. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

we have just been in wellington for the weekend.
We loved the breakfast both mornings and the staff were lovely (a big plus in my book you cant beat great service) they had covered most foods and always had plenty out (we came down to eat roughly 8am).

we also had the dinner on the Saturday night there were a couple of things that made me pick the rating I did.
we didn't book and they were lovely enough to seat us and give our son a childs menu and coloring in things (roughly just under half full)
we didn't have long to wait for the breads we ordered (now very glad we did see further down) and I heard the chef asking the waiter if we would like our childs meal early (another great plus) but as we were almost finished with the bread they didn't come over.
we had ordered the Louisiana chicken, I have asked the lady if I could please leave the hot sauce off as I couldn't eat hot/spicy food (I didn't know until I was talking to family that the chicken I ordered was going to be spicy) I was a bit let down that they waiter serving me didnt tell me that the dish I ordered was spicy as I only got one mouth full before I couldnt eat anymore, the rice was lovely and hubby ate my chicken (and even said that is was much hotter than his) and I went to bed with the spice repeating on me most of the night, so not a good ending I didn't say anything at the time as I should have asked if the chicken was hot, so my fault I guess.
the only other thing was that we didn't once have anyone come over and ask if we wanted more drinks and visited the bar three times during our dinner, the lady at the bar said that the waiter will get you drinks and hubby had told her he had tried to get there attention a couple of times with no luck so it was easier to just get up and get our own.

also the guy (I couldn't remember his name) who was at the counter to seat people was really lovely top point to him.
So 120% for the service and breakfast, and 60% for service of drinks and dinner.

Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for making this separate, detailed review of Portlander Bar & Grill. We certainly do appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our service and quality standards. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your meals at Portlander but I am also disappointed to read about some of the let-downs of your experience. I have informed the Restaurant Manager of the details of your review including the disappointing drinks service. This issue and others you have described will be addressed with Portlander staff. Thank you for your review. See you again next time.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were staying at the hotel so wanted something quick and easy and Portlander was right there. Service was very attentive but not too much. I was a little disappointed at their lack of vegetarian options but the veggie sides dishes were so delicious I could overlook this. The presentation was good and portions were generous. Everything was full of flavor. My partner had a steak with fries and he really enjoyed it and would have licked the plate.

We were too full for dessert but the menu looked good. I like the opportunity to have different size glass of wine, this is a nice touch

Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your great review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your experience at Portlander! It sounds like you had a great meal. Regarding the vegetarian options, I will pass your comments onto our Chef and executive team for them to consider. We will have to see you back again for dessert, next time you’re in Wellington.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went here for our first wedding anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed. They brought us some complimentary bubbles to start our evening which was a really nice touch. We shared the deli meats to start, both had the eye fillets for main which were amazing and probably one of the nicest steaks I've ever eaten. We had handcut chips and salads and it's good to know that the sides are for one person only so we ended up getting four sides for two of us and we finished it all. We had the chocolate cake and tiramisu for dessert which were both amazing- the chocolate cake was more like a brownie it was that dense but we weren't complaining! The service was great and the atmosphere lovely so we will definitely return. Thank you very much.

Kieran W, Head of Customer Relations at Portlander Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to review Portlander. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. I am very pleased that your experience was exceptional. I have pass all of your comments regarding the food onto the Portlander Chefs. We look forward to having you back soon. Kind regards, Kieran Wright.