“Best steak in town!”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #70 of 1,004 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Visited the Portlander Bar and Grill whilst staying at the Rydges Wellington. Had a wonderful dinner - great atmosphere, helpful staff and fantastic food! My steak was cooked to perfection and both the entree and dessert were of the highest standard. Would recommend everyone to visit!

My husband and I recently went to the restaurant at Rydges Wellington
- The Portlander. We had heard several good things about this
restaurant and they all lived up to expectation. The staff were
friendly, the service was efficient but the food was definitely the
highlight. I had the Pistachio Lamb and it was cooked to perfection -
delicious flavours! Will certainly be returning for another meal.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have to say that the Portlander cooks the BEST steaks in town. Sirloin steak on the bone is to die for. Service was impressive and the overall atmosphere is amazing. Can’t wait to take my future wife back there.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I brought my wife here for the Visa Wellington on a Plate lunch deal. $35 for an entree, main, and a glass of Julicher 99 Rows pinot noir. I had the chicken drumstick with spinach and pistachio mousse for the entree. This was cute because there was no drumstick just the meat from the drumstick with the spinach and pistachio mouse in the middle of the rolled and sliced chicken. It was a tad bland though. For the main we both had the beef short rib braised with star anise and vanilla, with parsnip puree, roasted bone marrow and confit garlic clove. It was okay but the beef was a bit stringy and tough and probably needed to be cooked longer and at a lower temperature. The wine match was great, one of my favourite pinots.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Upon arrival at the Portlander Bar & Grill, I found the atmosphere warm and pleasant, and the wait staff were all very personable, knowledgeable and made us feel very welcomed.
My wife and I had the Wakanui Sirloin Steak, I like mine medium and she likes her medium rare. Both our steaks were cooked to perfection. I also had the hand cut fries and they were massive, but delicious.
The service was extremely prompt and we could have a conversation with a normal tone of voice.
My experience was a wonderful one and I would definitely return.