“Shocking service”

Ranked #13 of 48 Wellington B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Shocking service”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I booked a twin room for one night and said I'd check in at 3pm, one hour after normal check-in time. We arrived at 3.10pm and were told the room wasn't ready and to come back in 45 minutes. We left the bags and wandered around town, returning at 4pm. We were told the room still wasn't ready, as the double bed hadn't been split into two singles. She said it would be about five minutes. Luckily we knew someone we could spend time with but after half an hour I returned to reception to be told that the housekeeper, who had the key to the room with the tool for splitting the bed had not returned. I said that we needed to get ready to go out to dinner. It was now 4.30pm - 2 and a half hours after normal check-in. She finally gave us the key, saying that the bed would be changed while we were out, and we went up. She promised that we would get a "significant discount" for our inconvenience.
On our return to the room that evening, we found the double bed had still not been split up, so we were forced to share a bed. There was no-one to complain to as reception closes at 5pm.
The room itself was average, but the pillows were the hardest I've ever encountered in a hotel. The heater and fan in the bathroom didn't work, and as a result there was mould above the shower, and it was cold in the bathroom (on a particularly cold Wellington day). The walls are thin and you can hear everything in the next room.
When I booked, it said we were entitled to access to the gym and spa but no information was given about this at all at check-in. Apparently they're in another building anyway.

The next morning at check-out there was a different woman at reception and she knew nothing about our problems or about being promised a discount and all she did was apologise, and, like the woman before, blame management for no training of cleaning staff. I would've thought that getting a room clean and ready before check-in would be the first thing any cleaner would have to know. Very poor, and it seems management don't give a damn about their staff (with high turnover) or the customer. (Incidentally I complained via email to management and heard nothing back.)

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank krudyard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked in for a 3 night stay over Easter. Turned up on Good Friday to check in to find a note advising us to call a listed 0800 number as reception is unmanned on public holidays. 30 minutes later my call was unanswered and I was highly frustrated. Finally I managed to get the attention of a on site builder who found the manager for me. He gave us the key for our room on the 13th floor. Opening the door it became apparent that the room had not been serviced. We then had to leave to allow for the cleaning staff to come in. The stay proceeded without further incident until the last morning. At 8:15 both female occupants were sleeping when there is a knock on the door. It was ignored as the Do Not Disturb was out and the chain on. The person kept knocking and then proceeded to put the key in the door and try to enter the apartment. I leapt out of bed to find the receptionist at the door with a breakfast package that had not been ordered. I was furious to be disturbed and secondly that someone would try and enter the apartment when they shouldn't and not even offer an apology. After reading other reviews I see it is common practice. The location is ok but you can do better. We took numerous taxis across town, money we should've used towards a nicer, more centralised hotel. The rooms are of sufficient quality but the beds and pillows are hard. There was maintenance being done across the floors all weekend. The nicest thing I could say about the place was they had ice trays in the freezer. First and last time at this location.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CatherineW09

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am of polynesian descent and I can't help but feel as if the staff don't want me here. I am up to date with my rent payments and I feel there is no reason for the staff to behave in such a way that just makes me question why I am here in the first place. I get paranoid everytime I check my mailbox as there is always a member of staff standing next to me, making sure that I know how to turn the key, I suppose. When I first moved in, one staff member, not in uniform, queried what room I was in. I felt like I was unfairly treated and this person was very rude. I assumed he was the owner/manager with the level of authority the other staff members treated him with. All I asked was how the rubbish from the rooms were disposed of. In terms of the hotel rooms themselves, it is very noisy due to the motorway so be sure to come with ear plugs. The rooms are not very spacious and you'll find better value for money elsewhere. I am still here because it is convenient to my place of employment. Quest on The Terrace would make a better block of flats than a hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Ajaxa
various
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is a bit out of the centre, the parking is hard to find, even with the directions, the room was OK but the staff are worthy of note. They seemed to be on another planet, having to go into the back to check reservation, check out time, Internet etc etc. No offer of maps or help or explanation of access, the list goes on. First and last visit here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast, Queensland
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Forget that the room was extremely cramped with little/no space between the bed & wall - we were disgusted that on the 2nd day of our stay we came home to find ALL of our possessions in the lift lobby unattended. We were in Wellington to attend a wedding & I had spent the morning pressing our clothes, which were folded over each other & on the window ledge. My shoes were in a plastic bag with an OPEN carton of milk & my husbands sleep apnoea machine was stuffed in a plastic bag ON ITS SIDE & the water tank hadn't been emptied. The room attendant in our former room handed us a note that advised us that they had to do renovations in our room & advised that we shouldn't have been allocated the room. This was on a Saturday at around 3pm. I asked to speak to the manager but was told that he wouldn't be in, though I did speak to him on the phone. He upgraded us to a twin room & refunded one nights accommodation. This was little compensation but we had no choice but to accept it as we had to be at a wedding within an 1 1/2 hours. I'm still not sure of the legal ramifications of the Quest staff moving all of our belongins out into a common area & leaving them unattended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Margaret F
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We booked an executive studio and found it was very cramped indeed. Hardly any space between the bed and walls and a very small shower-toilet area. On the plus side, the fittings were very new and good quality, the bed was very comfortable and the unit was very clean. The reception staff were very helpful and accommodating. We were given the opportunity for a free upgrade to a one bedroom apartment on the 7th floor. On inspection it had a much more spacious open lounge area, but the bedroom area was still very cramped. One aspect of some of these rooms is the floor to ceiling windows in the bay window. While the view is great from these, it's no place for anyone suffering from vertigo (on this higher floor it was also true that the floors were unnervingly creaky, as noted in one or two other reviews). The only other negative was that our corridor had a particularly unpleasant odour (the other corridors were OK), possibly from one of the guest's cooking some potent cuisine. Bizarrely, a bag of refuse outside the door to a neighbouring room remained there for the whole week we stayed; our room was serviced every day so no idea what was going on there. We had free wifi internet. Not sure if this a new "freebie" or because we booked the room for a week. A note to those using prams or strollers for little ones - although you can access the foyer of the building via a steep ramp, inexplicably there are then 7 steps to get to the lifts and another two steps to get from the lifts to the rooms on each level - a bit tedious!

Room Tip: Check carefully what room you book.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fitzrovians
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The rooms were lovely as were the staff. They have everything including plunger coffee. The rooms were clean and spacious and comfortable to be in. But that wasn't enough to save the visit for us.

We arrived to check in at this hotel at 2.45pm (the info said we could check in from 2pm) to be told that our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready for another hour. We were told that we could wait or just take another room on the third floor. Our other room was on the thirteenth floor so obviously way better and further from the road but as we had a child with us we couldn't hang around for an hour or find something to do so we took the other room offered. Bad move. The room was level with the motorway that runs past the back of the building and had a busy road below too. We had the worst sleep due to traffic noise, and then to top it off, at 5am there was a truck below our apartment emptying a skip! Awful sleep which made for a rough day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor, and don't get one on the motorway side!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family