“Dreadful and dirty!”

Wild Zebra Backpackers
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed planned to stay here for 5 nights in a private en-suite room and cancelled the last 3 nights of our stay and went somewhere else it was so bad!
The room was filthy! It hadn't been cleaned in months! The wall was full of stains everywhere you looked, the bathroom was dirty, and the room was in the bathroom area which meant it was noisy all the time!
The staff were unprofessional and not very friendly.
I would avoid this place and for the same money stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Elmundotraveller

Reviewed April 17, 2013

the staff here are amazing and extremely helpful ... trouble makers were dealt with a strict hand and they were always available at our every beck and call - from being at the desk to check out at 4am! to arranging shuttles and ferries when needed. They are a new management and so i had decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and stay there for 3 days ... i had a lovely experience ... AND what more!? it's bang in the centre of the city ... walkable distance from anywhere TO anywhere ... will definitely return for a longer stay! : )

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A fantastic experience in Wellington; I stayed in Wellywood for a night and felt the need to leave this review because the hostel exceeded my expectations. My first thoughts were of how friendly the staff were, they bent over backwards to help me out. I needed to leave before 6am but checking out was no problem as they ensured that someone was there on time to return my key deposit. The kitchen and dining area was the most spacious I've ever seen in a hostel (I've stayed in many through Thailand, Australia and NZ) as well as being exceptionally clean. The free food shelf was also stocked up which is always a bonus! The showers and toilets were clean and the bedroom was also the largest I've ever been in. I stayed in a 8 bed dorm but there were only 2 bunk beds; the rest were single beds which made the room exceptionally spacious. The interior was modern and this may sound odd but the lifts were efficient which was great! I will also add that I left my camera in my room then when I contacted the staff they responded immediately and posted my camera off to the South Island free of charge with no problems at all which I am so grateful for. I would recommend Wellywood to anyone and I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 8 bed dorms are still very spacious
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights. We are both former Wellingtonians who were back there for a long weekend. While location is really good, close to courtenay place and the waterfront everything else was poor. The staff when we checked in weren't friendly and didn't seem to know what to do. They couldn't even work out if we had paid or not. Bathroom/Toilets weren't great. Some showers didn't lock, some of them didn't have working lights. Ran out of toilet paper in all the boys toilets. When I informed reception of this there response was 'okay'. No sorry and no thanks for letting us know. The information about where to eat/drink was several years out of date. Being a former Wellingtonian I know some of their recommended places had shut down years ago and some had changed names. Had a poor sleep the last night as people in one of the other dorm rooms was making noise up in the hallway until 4am. Shame because this hostel has potential to be so nice but it is obvious that the owner/managers don't know about customer service and don't care about giving their customers the best experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NZ_Darin
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A wonderful experience in the city .. awesome really appreciate it . It is a really cheap accommodation in the city . very friendly atmosphere and the rooms were tidy and feel to come back again. Its worth staying in the heart of the city with cheap options like this.
I stayed on same room every time when I visit Welli and found the staff very caring.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed in ensuite couple room. Nice view. Toilet is clean. Bed is clean. Bed sheet is nice. Staff are helpful. Laundry is functioning. Importantly, this place is centrally located. It is very easy to move around the city here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

New prices for a back packers are ridiculous.

Having a minimum 3 night stay policy is not workable.

Laundry was locked during hours that it was supposed to be open.

Toilets were very unclean & general cleanliness was below par.

Room not serviced during 3 days.

No hot water for several hours on one morning. Nil applogise.

Having counter in front of lifts caused continual problems with access when people, especialy groups were checking in or out.

Shop not being manned when supposed to have been open.

Over all welcoming, appeal & freindliness is not evident. The hospitality has gone.

We have stayed there every 7s tournament for the past 7yrs & on one off ocassions during the year & we wont be returning again.

• Stayed: January 2013