“Over priced”

Wild Zebra Backpackers
Reviewed February 8, 2013

New prices for a back packers are ridiculous.

Having a minimum 3 night stay policy is not workable.

Laundry was locked during hours that it was supposed to be open.

Toilets were very unclean & general cleanliness was below par.

Room not serviced during 3 days.

No hot water for several hours on one morning. Nil applogise.

Having counter in front of lifts caused continual problems with access when people, especialy groups were checking in or out.

Shop not being manned when supposed to have been open.

Over all welcoming, appeal & freindliness is not evident. The hospitality has gone.

We have stayed there every 7s tournament for the past 7yrs & on one off ocassions during the year & we wont be returning again.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Tutauanui

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed many times at Wellywood in a single room and now they have new mattresses, duvets, curtains and good quality sheets I can recommend them. The staff are helpful & courteous and it is only half a block to the main shopping area. I think this is the cheapest place in town for a single room. Heaters are available in winter, and there is a security officer on duty through the night in case of any problems. E.M.Marshall

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Well.. I heard many storys about the Wellywood Backpackers. Plenty of them were horrible. I can only say that it wasn't the worst hostel for me. I stayed there twice. The first time I stayed for 3 nights in a 3 bed dorm with only one other guest and I was in a room where the color peeled off the walls and it was very cold. At least we had a heater.
The second time I stayed in a 10 bed dorm and that was really not the best. It was very loud and the roommates always kept the door open. But that is not Wellywoods mistake.
What is theyr mistake is that they invest in the wrong things! The manager invested in a new 'supermarket' inside the hostel and wants to build a gym.For what?? The people who stay in a hostel look after the price (and the 'supermarket' is really expensive), comfy beds ( the mattress were awful - BOTH times, because they are REALLY thin!) and if the hostel or the room is clean (which it wasn't).
So please Mr. Manager... FIRST RENOVATE THE ROOMS ANDTHEN YOU CAN BUILD A GYM! It won't help you to have a gym, when the rest is just awful and disgusting!!!!!
The staff was really nice but I heard that most of themleft already!
Nothing more to say about the hostel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Robbie N, Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Hi Corinna, We are new management and new crew on board from September 2012. It is not a supermarket but a convenient shop for guests to use when they need something. Our prices are reasonable compare to other convenient stores. We have no idea where you get the ideas about GYM. We have no plans to have one yet. We have started the renovations from the fifth floor from September and moving down to first floor. I will definitely have a look at the mattress and replace the thin ones immediately. We have changed a lot from your last visit and definitely the cleanliness have improve and we will try to keep up the standard. We really appreciate your honest feedback and will continue to work on it. Please continue your support for us to get better.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My god what an utter holiday from hell. Poor management and organisation from the get go, took 40mins to check in. Staff behind the counter seemed to be headless chooks, they didnt know if they had rooms available or not. Their room set up was confusing as hell, couldnt find my room and when i did there was 4 indians living in it. I went down to complain and the manager insisted that the people in the room were "good boys" and we will make up a bed. The room smelled foul, these indian "good boys" played music and chatted away when i tried to go to sleep, i repeatedly told them politely to keep the noise down as i was trying to sleep. They left the room leaving the door wide open and could hear everything. They then came back in put the music back on started chatting away. i lost my patience and told them to shut the hell up im trying to sleep. and they finally did. also their bathrooms were the filthiest ive ever seen. Highly NOT recommended

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan F
Robbie N, Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi, Thank you for the review. You guys insisted for a bed to sleep just for one night. We helped and I personally offered full refund if you do not want to stay with the indian boys. I have explained that we can not give your group a room it is a dormitory room and so can't do much about noise control. We pay particular attention to the toilet and received good feedback about our cleanliness of the toilet, however you have stated the bathroom were the filthiest you have ever seen. We will pay more attendtion in toilet cleanlines in future. In a big event like New year eve or Rugby events please consider booking your own room, for your satisfaction. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Awful place. The worst, most depressingly hostel I have ever been in. No exaggeration.
I was told to come here by "Lodge in the City" a few streets away, as they had no internet in the rooms and said Wellywood was better.
On first looks, Wellywood was smarter than the disgusting Lodge in the City, but after I paid $50 for a tiny cupboard called a room, with no internet, no bathroom, no toilet, I realised I had better get drunk and pas out, because this is the most despressing hostel I've ever been in.
Room- I can touch all four walls with my body at once. I am not a big person.
Window- broken window of glass, plastic sheet ripped on all edges, only held up by one corner, PLASTIC??
Bed-tiny. I mean, very thin, narrow. A sheet, and no blanket.
Internet- none.
Bathroom- a disgusting freezing cold hallway ( no closed doors) with tiny tiny sinks and very old toilets at the end of the hallway from the room.
Hallways- probably the most depressing part of Wellywood. Dark brown tall hallways. Very thin corridors, everything is painted dark brown and even the ceiligns are dark brown and dark wood old paneling.
The building is on 5 floors. Everything is so cramped, you feel sufficated. The old old huge kitchen area is a typical backpackers' kitchen- disgusting sticky plates, pans, pots, tables. It is the dark depressing atmosphere in this place that is the worst. INternet is $2 each hour. You have to buy ahead, you can't just pay with a CC as you go. YOu must buy a ticket ahead of time. Kitchen closes at 10pm. THis SUCs if you're coming in international and have no time zone yet. The most depressing place just got worse. The kitchen is literally locked at 10 so if you're hungry, starving, can't sleep or just lonley etc, you have nowhere but your no TV room, with no internet. I was so angry with this stupid place and the high high cost, that I wanted to do damage to it. Of course, I wouldn't, but to leave travelers with no internet, TV or contact to the outside world when they're paying a hefty $50 for a pigsty of a room is really criminal IMO . I hated it here. HATED it.

Room Tip: DO not say yes to the 5th floor rooms. It's too far up and the place is much too depressing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Friendofchip
Robbie N, Public Relations Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you for the feedback we have received. We do have bigger rooms if you have check with the reception, and proudly we are the cheapest accomodation in the Wellington City, the price of the room changes accordingly to what the guest request, we do have premium room with ensuite. Our kitchen and lounge is open till 1.30am and we have display the opening hours very clearly on the kitchen door. You should be able to watch TV-sky / Internet / gaming machines / pool table / vending machine and etc. Did you check with the reception??? We do not understand what you were saying about plastic edges ripped in all corner of the room, however we did notice the window glass was broken. Our single bed is a standard universal size. It is not a king size bed if that is what you were saying. We do provide duvet on all beds and on request you can have additional blanket. The walls are rimu wood paneling which we are very proud off and the celiing is burgundy with lime lights. The fifth floor is usually loved by our regular guest. I guest it is not your colour. We will look into our kitchen equipments thorougly and make sure everything is in shiny and clean condition. Proudly we are the cheapest internet in town and sorry we do not have the facilities to pay from your credit card as you use. You should have ask assistance with the reception if you were not sure of what is available.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had to stay here as it was the last room avaible and I really wish we hadn't bothered. it was awful, dirty, bad service, shocking management, horrid bathrooms, dirty kitchen. they offer a tv room but then refused to open it, noisy and badly run hostel. Over priced for what you get as well. The manager is not good at his job, he is rude, can't be bothered to help and does not care about customer service. I have nothing good to say about this hostel. I can't stress enough the importance of NOT STAYING HERE.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank northernpixie64
Reviewed December 21, 2012

As other people have mentioned this was the only accommodation in Wellington with spaces available around the time of The Hobbit premiere. I can see why now. The place was filthy, with dirty sheets and old sofas just left in the corridors. To access our room you had to walk between and behind the shower blocks meaning that you would be disturbed every time someone used the shower. In general the hostel was by far the noisiest and dirtiest that we stayed in during our time in NZ and quite frankly I don't think I'd stay there again even if they paid me!

Room Tip: Choose another hostel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clarkey1886
Robbie N, Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

This guest, who harrassed and threatened to blemish wellywoodbackpackers reputation. Before and after staying they want a refund. Full refund was offered at the begining of they stay, they choose 2 stay. Free wifi and towel was given for free and was never satisfied. They continue harrassing staffs and threatened to blemish Wellywoodbackpackers reputation. Police report is lodge and investigation is on process. His partner is the one who wrote,"NEVER EVER STAY HERE". We are receiving continue harrassment from this couple.