“Avoid this place at all costs!!”

and 1 more site!
Wild Zebra Backpackers
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My god what an utter holiday from hell. Poor management and organisation from the get go, took 40mins to check in. Staff behind the counter seemed to be headless chooks, they didnt know if they had rooms available or not. Their room set up was confusing as hell, couldnt find my room and when i did there was 4 indians living in it. I went down to complain and the manager insisted that the people in the room were "good boys" and we will make up a bed. The room smelled foul, these indian "good boys" played music and chatted away when i tried to go to sleep, i repeatedly told them politely to keep the noise down as i was trying to sleep. They left the room leaving the door wide open and could hear everything. They then came back in put the music back on started chatting away. i lost my patience and told them to shut the hell up im trying to sleep. and they finally did. also their bathrooms were the filthiest ive ever seen. Highly NOT recommended

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan F
Robbie N, Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hi, Thank you for the review. You guys insisted for a bed to sleep just for one night. We helped and I personally offered full refund if you do not want to stay with the indian boys. I have explained that we can not give your group a room it is a dormitory room and so can't do much about noise control. We pay particular attention to the toilet and received good feedback about our cleanliness of the toilet, however you have stated the bathroom were the filthiest you have ever seen. We will pay more attendtion in toilet cleanlines in future. In a big event like New year eve or Rugby events please consider booking your own room, for your satisfaction. Thank you for the review.

There are newer reviews for Wild Zebra Backpackers

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Awful place. The worst, most depressingly hostel I have ever been in. No exaggeration.
I was told to come here by "Lodge in the City" a few streets away, as they had no internet in the rooms and said Wellywood was better.
On first looks, Wellywood was smarter than the disgusting Lodge in the City, but after I paid $50 for a tiny cupboard called a room, with no internet, no bathroom, no toilet, I realised I had better get drunk and pas out, because this is the most despressing hostel I've ever been in.
Room- I can touch all four walls with my body at once. I am not a big person.
Window- broken window of glass, plastic sheet ripped on all edges, only held up by one corner, PLASTIC??
Bed-tiny. I mean, very thin, narrow. A sheet, and no blanket.
Internet- none.
Bathroom- a disgusting freezing cold hallway ( no closed doors) with tiny tiny sinks and very old toilets at the end of the hallway from the room.
Hallways- probably the most depressing part of Wellywood. Dark brown tall hallways. Very thin corridors, everything is painted dark brown and even the ceiligns are dark brown and dark wood old paneling.
The building is on 5 floors. Everything is so cramped, you feel sufficated. The old old huge kitchen area is a typical backpackers' kitchen- disgusting sticky plates, pans, pots, tables. It is the dark depressing atmosphere in this place that is the worst. INternet is $2 each hour. You have to buy ahead, you can't just pay with a CC as you go. YOu must buy a ticket ahead of time. Kitchen closes at 10pm. THis SUCs if you're coming in international and have no time zone yet. The most depressing place just got worse. The kitchen is literally locked at 10 so if you're hungry, starving, can't sleep or just lonley etc, you have nowhere but your no TV room, with no internet. I was so angry with this stupid place and the high high cost, that I wanted to do damage to it. Of course, I wouldn't, but to leave travelers with no internet, TV or contact to the outside world when they're paying a hefty $50 for a pigsty of a room is really criminal IMO . I hated it here. HATED it.

Room Tip: DO not say yes to the 5th floor rooms. It's too far up and the place is much too depressing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Friendofchip
Robbie N, Public Relations Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you for the feedback we have received. We do have bigger rooms if you have check with the reception, and proudly we are the cheapest accomodation in the Wellington City, the price of the room changes accordingly to what the guest request, we do have premium room with ensuite. Our kitchen and lounge is open till 1.30am and we have display the opening hours very clearly on the kitchen door. You should be able to watch TV-sky / Internet / gaming machines / pool table / vending machine and etc. Did you check with the reception??? We do not understand what you were saying about plastic edges ripped in all corner of the room, however we did notice the window glass was broken. Our single bed is a standard universal size. It is not a king size bed if that is what you were saying. We do provide duvet on all beds and on request you can have additional blanket. The walls are rimu wood paneling which we are very proud off and the celiing is burgundy with lime lights. The fifth floor is usually loved by our regular guest. I guest it is not your colour. We will look into our kitchen equipments thorougly and make sure everything is in shiny and clean condition. Proudly we are the cheapest internet in town and sorry we do not have the facilities to pay from your credit card as you use. You should have ask assistance with the reception if you were not sure of what is available.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had to stay here as it was the last room avaible and I really wish we hadn't bothered. it was awful, dirty, bad service, shocking management, horrid bathrooms, dirty kitchen. they offer a tv room but then refused to open it, noisy and badly run hostel. Over priced for what you get as well. The manager is not good at his job, he is rude, can't be bothered to help and does not care about customer service. I have nothing good to say about this hostel. I can't stress enough the importance of NOT STAYING HERE.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank northernpixie64
Reviewed December 21, 2012

As other people have mentioned this was the only accommodation in Wellington with spaces available around the time of The Hobbit premiere. I can see why now. The place was filthy, with dirty sheets and old sofas just left in the corridors. To access our room you had to walk between and behind the shower blocks meaning that you would be disturbed every time someone used the shower. In general the hostel was by far the noisiest and dirtiest that we stayed in during our time in NZ and quite frankly I don't think I'd stay there again even if they paid me!

Room Tip: Choose another hostel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clarkey1886
Robbie N, Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

This guest, who harrassed and threatened to blemish wellywoodbackpackers reputation. Before and after staying they want a refund. Full refund was offered at the begining of they stay, they choose 2 stay. Free wifi and towel was given for free and was never satisfied. They continue harrassing staffs and threatened to blemish Wellywoodbackpackers reputation. Police report is lodge and investigation is on process. His partner is the one who wrote,"NEVER EVER STAY HERE". We are receiving continue harrassment from this couple.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I staryed at single room for two nights. I'd paid from the internet and I mentioned about that when I check in, but they said "you have to pay now with key deposit $30". I paid by credit card but I asked again the next day, it was their mistake, and they refund me by cash(I didnt need cash). When I enter my room, the room was not cleaned up by mistake. And when my check out, I have to leave there early morning, before open their reception so I'd told them about my situation the day before. But next morning, no one was at reception desk while I was wating for 15minutes. I left my room key there with memo so they didnt back my key deposit. TERRIBLE!! I'll never use there. If you stay there, you can get the most terrible service int NZ!!!!

Room Tip: you have to pay for WiFi because their WiFi was not free, but some rooms are not available for WiFi.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank yui k
Robbie N, Public Relations Manager at Wild Zebra Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Yui K, I believe have difficulty understanding english. We have refund the key deposit money, she was inpatient waiting for check out in the early morning and left the keys on the reception and left. She stated waiting for 15mins in the reception area, but in our security video camera shows 6 minutes only. We are the cheapest WIFI in town, so not sure where could she get cheaper than that. She book the room from an agent, neither her agent nor her guest have provided us with full informations about the payment unti the next day. We refund the money, which was a fair deal. Again she wants the money to be refund to credit card but guest have no patient for the duty manager to come down and organise it and instead she choose to take the cash money. Our check in time is at 2 pm, and we did informed her the check in time that but she went up to her room and found the bed not make. We again have to advise her to come back after 2 pm. Guest need to learn to relax and enjoy our service. From this experience we have learn how to provide better service eg: be very clear with instructions.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

If you want to stay somewhere near and in the middle of everything, this is the best location. Customer service was really good. rooms are Really cheap, $312 for 4 of us who stayed for 3 nights, not bad. You do get the price you pay for. When we arrived, the beds were made but the floor looked dirty with pieces of I don't know lying around. Bathrooms were average, I've seen better. The large dining/entertainment lounge on the 4th floor was a really neat idea however, the kitchen was very gross! Tea towels were dirty. Plates were everywhere. It was a mess sadly, and our tummies were quite upset the next day. Could have been the food we ate or the utensils we used that night. :(

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank TravelJunkiesx2
Reviewed October 7, 2012

stayed this hostel last weekend for 3 days. it was not very clean, building needs some work, rubbish wasn't emptied in the kitchen and it wasn't very clean, there was no dish soap, very little room in the refrigerator for food and not very many dishes. i think the ownership has recently changed but the new owners have a lot of kinks to work out of this place before it is a place that i would recommend. Staff Friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple