“not bad”

1, good price
2, OK room
3, after a argument free parking
4, great location.
Thumbs down for crappy telly and parsimonious facilities in the room. It has a gym which could be use full I suppose, worth a look

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for taking valuable time to give us your feedback. I am pleased to learn that you've had an enjoyable time with us and that you found the location to your liking. I look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future! Please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Olivier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed recently for over a week. While the room wasn’t flash, it was affordable, and functional, and so far down a series of corridors that it was reasonably quiet most of the time. The sheets were reasonable (triple sheeted beds were probably the best part of the experience), the towels ok, and the shower had pressure.

The first seven nights were fine – I arrived back late, slept, and left early in the morning. The trouble started on day eight, when my calendar told me I was checking out (though my room (and flights) had been booked a day later for one reason or another). I packed in the morning and checked out – unbeknown to me that I was checking out a day early. The guy on the desk happily checked me out without questioning why I was leaving early. Long story short – I later received a phone call asking why I’d checked out early, so we agreed that I’d return the following night to stay. My original room was already booked, so I ended up elsewhere.

The new room was awful. An “upgrade” I’d been told. It had a shower that hardly worked, an uncomfortable split king bed, missing towels, and neighbours so loud I could clearly hear their conversation through the walls… I reluctantly expressed my dissatisfaction to reception; I don’t enjoy causing a fuss, particularly on the last night, but felt if the noise went on much longer (almost 11 at this stage) I’d have a terrible sleep. I was offered a down-grade to a room with two single beds or an upgrade to the quality hotel for $50. I didn’t much like the direction things were going, so insisted on a room equal to that which I had booked. The front office manager (Sebastian) assured me all staff were trained in housekeeping, so went to make up the room for me himself.

It’s here that I really regretted having stirred in the first place. The new room was poorly made up (no mattress protector on the bed) and it had a very strong smell of feet. It was very cold, and judging by the way the curtains were jammed in the window, I assume they’d been trying to air it out. I wasn’t sleeping here. I returned to the front desk. The look on the duty manager’s face told me he was aware of the smell, but thought he’d try his luck anyway. So I was offered a free breakfast. Then I was offered an upgrade to a room in the quality hotel.

This room was considerably nicer. It was well made up. It didn’t smell. It was warm. It was quiet… until the lift started moving. Seriously – when you have an unhappy guest who has complained about noise, and everything else, don’t put him in the room beside the lift shaft. These staff seriously need training in conflict management. Cut your losses – do what you need to do to ensure the situation is resolved without further complaint. But I didn’t complain… I’d had enough of that.

But that wasn’t the worst of it. I finally made it to bed at about 1am, and was just settling down to sleep when two intoxicated ladies stumbled into the room at 1:25am! Turns out the guy on reception had booked them into my room – despite them telling me earlier that most of the rooms were vacant! By now, I was furious and couldn’t sleep. The overly apologetic guy on reception offered me another free breakfast… as if breakfast is a bargaining tool?

4:30 in the morning, the phone rings… wake-up call? Not sure… ripped the cord out of the wall. 7:10am, alarm goes off. 7:15, second alarm goes off. Another cord ripped from the wall. Almost missed the 9am breakfast cut-off. Apologetic assistant manager is in my face before I get a chance to pour a coffee… I’m tired, I’m still furious, and he doesn’t seem to pick up on this fact. I request a late checkout and he wanders off to arrange that. Breakfast is soggy hash browns and half-cooked poached eggs. I settle for juice before heading out for a decent coffee and a muffin somewhere else.

Next time I think I’ll stay somewhere else as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank lostintheether
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I apologise we didn't meet your expectations. We aim to make everyone's stay at CQ Hotels Wellington a comfortable and enjoyable experience. We're committed to providing the best possible accommodation and service so I've taken your review on board to help us improve our day to day operations. Feel free to contact the hotel directly if you would like to make any suggestions on how we could make our customer experience better. We'd appreciate any further feedback you may have. Thank you again for sharing your experience and I look forward to hear back from you soon
Olivier

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The place is very clean. Have the shuttle bus took us from the ferry to the hotel straight way.
24 hour check in.
However the room is too small and there is no fridge.
very old lift and the corridor is a bit scary Very average.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Hui Z,
Thank you for taking time to post your review which we are appreciative of. We are glad to have made your stay an enjoyable one! As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are compact, but are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers
Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back at CQ Wellington. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We loved our stay at the historic Comfort Hotel (formerly Trekkers) in the heart of Wellington's chic, cool cafe and club party zone -- very reasonably priced, great food downstairs in the dining room and surprisingly quiet after midnight. One downside was having to park in a general parking garage a whole block away. (We paid the hotel $25 a night to park, but could have parked for free as there are no boom gates across the entry and exit lanes of the Marion St parkade.) It's an easy stroll down to the waterfront, the art gallery, Te Papa national museum, the shopping precinct and pretty much everything. Another glitch was that all electricity is switched off when you remove the key card from the slot to go downtown, so you can't charge up your mobile phone/laptop while you're away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon L
Dear Jon L,
I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to compose such an extensive, review on all aspects of your experience with us at the hotel.
It is certainly one of our greatest pleasures to be able to accommodate you in the friendly and professional way you deserve.
Warmest regards,
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The hotel features a very central location right in the heart of Wellington with Cuba Street offering you a wide range of possibilities. The rooms are pretty small and therefore somewhat in lack of storage space, but they are definitely well kept and tidy. The sleep quality is okay although it suffers a bit due to the far too soft matrices, which wobbles with every movement. The pool could be cleaner. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room service efficient. Good value for what you get - we paid 70US$ for a double room per night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear 5months2014,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities and location right in the heart of Wellington Cuba Street. I have taken note of your comments and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email to info@cqwellington.com and we will take care of your reservation personally.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights which was one too many. The room was VERY small and pretty uncomfortable for two. Not enough towels, and there were stains on the sheets and towels. A plug point that didn't work and a loose showerhead pointed to maintenance work needing done. Tea and Coffee making facilities were also very poor. This place was a lot better a few years ago. Still, great location.

• Stayed April 2014
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Fragglerock1981
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are compact, but are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers
I have taken careful note of your comment in regards to the stains that you noticed on the linen and the loose showerhead; please accept my sincerest apologies. Your comments will be reviewed with the team.
Again, I really appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
London
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights. We picked it for its price and location. The hotel is very well located near the centre of Wellington and only 15 min drive to the airport. The rooms are modern and clean, with large shower rooms. The beds are a little small but you can live with it for a few nights. It can get noisy on Cuba street so ask for higher floor and to be at the back of the hotel. There is no air con which did mean you need to keep the windows open at night which does add to the noise.
They also have washing rooms of each floor, only $2 per go. And a nice spa bath room which you can use (ask reception for key).
They also have parking at $25 a day, but it is secure and right next to the hotel.
Overall we enjoyed our time, it was good value and didn't disappoint us. Perfect place to stop off in Wellington if your budget is stretched.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter