“Not a great stay”

Comfort Hotel Wellington
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My son (11) and I stayed one night recently. My mum had stayed with him before and both had quite liked it. The decor is old and dated and everything is showing signs of wear. This is made up for though by the fantastic location, the heart of Cuba St, handy to everything. The issues I had were that when we arrived there were shards of glass in the bathroom near the shower. It looked like someone had dropped a glass on the floor and the room had not been cleaned properly. I called and someone came up to see to it but she just kept saying she didn't see how it had happened as the shower door was intact. Quite frankly I didn't care if she could figure it out or not, the room had obviously not been properly cleaned. The other issue was that the lift is very noisy and we had to listen to it going up and down every time someone used it. Apart from those two things I think the price reflects what you get, and I feel that if we had been further from the lift and without the glass on the floor I would have rated this place a 3.5-4.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Cuba St side, and well away from the lift!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Interpretergirl,

I was very disappointed to read that you noticed a poor state of cleanliness in the bathroom. We strive to ensure that all rooms and bathrooms are checked prior to our guest’s arrival as a quality control measure and in this instance it seems not to have been the case. Your comment has been forwarded to the Executive Housekeeper and her team reminding them to be more vigilant in quality management to minimise the risk of this reoccurring in the future.

I have taken careful note of your comments in regards to the state of our rooms and would like to inform you that we are in the process of finalising our refurbishment budgets to ensure that the quality of our product remains at a consistent high standard.
As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital, Cuba Street. Our economy rooms are definitely a good option for budget conscious travellers.

On your next visit, I would be happy to assign one of our quieter, east-facing rooms and away from the main lift upon request.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Hotel Wellington

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was here for a conference last week and had an amazing stay! The staff are absolutely fantastic, led by an incredible manager, Olivier - love your work guys!
Brilliant location with spotless comfortable accommodation, perfect for a good nights rest after a busy day in the boardroom!

I look forward to my next trip to enjoy more of your great hospitality.

Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ambassador_Team
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Gracious greetings from Wellington! Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to write us a wonderful review! We are pleased to learn that you've enjoyed your stay and conference with us. We look forward to having you with us again in the near future!

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Comfort is absolutely spotlessly clean and great value. I love the location in Cuba Street that has a great vibe. While they have a great buffet there are plenty of cafes nearby. They also have very good parking, pays to book ahead on this in busy times.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to write us a wonderful review! I am very pleased to learn that you've enjoyed your stay with us and will continue to strive and excel to meet your expectations. I look forward to having you with us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This hotel is great for short stays if you are budget conscious and also want to be right in the heart of the city. Everything is within easy walking distance and there are some excellent eateries close by. The room I was in was small and basic but very clean with a comfortable bed. There was no traffic noise. Would have liked an easy chair and small table as there was little in the way of surface area to put anything down. The staff were efficient and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kaye W
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here for a hockey tournament,a s team accommodation. I say this, because the Comfort Hotel is not one I would have chosen if I had made the booking. That is not to say there anything terribly wrong, just that I tend to choose more up-market establishments for myself. First off, the one (and only) real negative - the size of the rooms. We were in a twin room, and the door wouldn't open fully because the bed was too long for the wall space available. Had I needed to spend time in the room other than for sleeping, it would have been annoying. The facilities in the room are minimal - no fridge (though you can request one), shower only. The water pressure was, however, excellent. There is wireless internet throughout the hotel, with half an hour free per day, unless you are a member of their loyalty club, when it is free all day.
The public areas of the hotel are pleasant enough - the building is over 100 years old - with a comfortable bar, and a lounge adjacent to the dining room. I only used the dining-room for breakfast, but that was above average - plenty of choice both hot and cold - hot food replenished regularly so you don't get three hour old scrambled eggs.
Another gripe is the $25 per day car parking charge - a bit steep, considering there is a car park round the corner where you can get a spot for a whole week for $50.
Location is excellent - loads of good, and cheap restaurants within easy walking - shops, Te Papa, and even the Westpac Stadium is only about 20 minutes walk away. Overall - good value for money as long as you don't need to spend too much time in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over Cuba Street can be quite noisy until very late.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear gaiteiro,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us, I am glad to have made your stay an enjoyable one! Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back at CQ Hotels Wellington. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here during the Rugby Sevens for a few nights. The location is good, lobby is nice, and room/bathroom was clean. The room itself was extremely small for two people and the only window opened onto a courtyard that echoed noises from other guest until late in the night. We asked for an extra blanket and pillow; front desk staff questioned the request instead of offering to help. We never received the extra blanket and pillow, even after personally going down to the front desk to ask for them a second time. Called the front desk a different day to ask if they knew where any close costume stores were located and was told they would research it and call back the room in 15 minutes. I never heard from them.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Kimberly B,
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. It is very unfortunate to read that you experienced a disappointing level of service at the Reception desk. We endeavour to provide an excellent customer experience for every guest and in this instance it seems not to have been the case. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Front Office team highlighting them the importance of high level of customer service and the need to minimize the possibility of this happening in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Due to the rugby 7's we were only got a small room due to the demand. It was clean and comfortable though. It is on Cuba Street were there is plenty going on day and night. The harbour and museum are not too far away as are the shopping area. Didn't like paying NZ$25 per night for parking!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Peter_St_Helens,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities and location. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future or during next year’s 7’s tournament.
I have also taken careful note of your comment in regards to the hotel car parking fee; while our actual car parking fee is currently sitting below the average inner city Wellington hotels, your feedback will be highlighted during our next pricing review.
Please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.