“Right in the heart of it”

Comfort Hotel Wellington
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Right in the heart of it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights and would definitely come back. Best thing about it is the location, it's within walking distance of the CBD, Te Papa, the waterfront. And of course never a dull moment on Cuba street. Be warned though they party all night here, so expect a noisy night. We asked for a street facing room as we don't mind that, but some may find they literally lose sleep over it.

The rooms are small. We didn't spend much time in ours so it didn't matter to us. However they are really clean. The bed was big and comfy. The hotel is beautiful, an old building with an interesting history: http://www.hotelwellington.co.nz/Home/history.html

Found the reception staff a bit aloof, but the bar staff were very cool and helpful.

Heaps to do around here, great brunch at the Italian, just south of the hotel. Amazing Wagyu dinner at Charlotte, two doors down. And of course great shopping, movies and pubs on the doorstep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patsy_nz
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Patsy_nz,

Thank you for your review of CQ Hotels Wellington. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and dining experience around Cuba Street. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the services provided by our Bar team.

CQ Hotels Wellington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Czech first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I like this hotel. The location (Cuba St) is great and the cost not bad either. There are some nice restaurants nearby. One can walk to the Te Papa musuem. Courtnay Place for dining is not far. The hotel bar service is not bad either.

The rooms are spacious enough in my opinion. Both rooms and bathroom were very clean and well kept.

There is one flaw and that is with the lack of knowledge about the area from most at reception and the so-called concierge. They knew very little about activities, restaurants, directions to certain places, etc. I was dissapointed in this aspect since the other hotels I had stayed whilst in NZ were very helpfull. The bartender was quite helpfull though.

Fortunately, the people in Wellington were VERY friendly and helpfull with directions. Plus, they offer their advice with a genuine smile.

Overall, this is a good hotel and I would stay here again. But given the location I would urge the reception staff to become more knowledgable about the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear AtlanticCoast,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at CQ Hotels Wellington. It is always fantastic to receive positive feedback.

I will pass on your comments to our team; it will serve as encouragement to all of our employees as we endeavour to constantly improve the quality of our services.

I have also taken careful note of your comment in regards to the knowledge of the reception team. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Front Office management team highlighting them the importance of high level of customer service and the need to support any new employee who just started their employment with us. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went here on business with a colleague. For the price this place was excellent. It was a small, yet very clean room. Lovely pool and spa and great cocktails.

Had a bit of an issue at the start where they'd accidentally given us the room with just one double bed (we are colleagues!) ... but when we explained their mistake, they relocated us without too much trouble (although they first said there were no other rooms available, but later managed to find one... which was a bit weird).

Overall it was a hassle-free, great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Good morning Luluzz,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our pool – spa facilities and great cocktails from the CQ Bar!
The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington hotel in the near future.
The team joins me to wish you a Safe and Merry Christmas
Olivier LACOUA
Standish, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Our first challenge with staying here was finding it. We were driving up Cuba, street satnav said "you have reached your destination" but we still could not see the entrance. It is surrounded by shops/retaurants and their awnings. The carpark is round the back only accessed from another street and with a pass. The room itself was "compact" - everything you needed apart from a fridge but in a small space. Wardrobe hanging space was very limited mostly taken up with the ironing board and no drawer space. But it was cheap for a city centre room and as we were only staying one night it was good value. Bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Also Cuba street is full of eating places so location was great from that point of view.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear explorer60_10
Thank you for posting your feedback. You will be happy to know that, as a result of your feedback, our team will shortly contact SatNav to review and improve the hotel directions; thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am also glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at CQ Comfort Hotel and found your stay as a good value.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I am looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Wishing you and your family a Safe and Merry Christmas
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night in mid October.
This hotel had the worst mattress I have ever experienced in a hotel. The springs could easily be felt through the top of the mattress. One particular spring kept digging into my hip. In fact during the following Sunday and Monday, once home, I experienced severe hip discomfort - which I blame this stay for.
Compounding the mattress problem was the fact that it was a very stormy Wellington night. The wind rattled the windows for most of the night. We discovered in the morning that the windows had not been closed properly - the top bolts had not been closed.

We complained about the mattress to reception in the morning. They were very concerned and apologetic. We were given a voucher for a free breakfast for two. The breakfast was really nice and we were grateful for the gesture. But maybe you shouldn't be charging for a room where you actually can't sleep properly? Surely the main purpose of a hotel is to provide a decent bed for the night?

My recommendation would be that all of the mattresses in this hotel be checked to make sure that the springs cannot be felt. This problem needs to be rectified.

You should also be providing guidance to your cleaning staff about making sure that the windows are properly closed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BestTravels2U
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Good afternoon BestTravels2U,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I was very disappointed to read that you experienced such bad sleep in our hotel. We strive to ensure that all rooms and mattress are checked prior to our guest’s arrival as a quality control measure and in this instance it seems not to have been the case.

Your comment has been forwarded to the Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance technician reminding them to be more vigilant in quality management to minimise the risk of this reoccurring in the future.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Olivier Lacoua

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Alamogordo, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is located perfectly on Cuba Street which is a huge bonus as there is a lot of stuff to do in the immediate area. As for the hotel, the price is extremely competitive (we spent quite a while trying to find a good mix of value/comfort) and this hotel was really the only option in Wellington. The hotel itself has a really nice lobby and friendly staff and they were very helpful getting us a no-notice room for 2 nights. The room was pretty small (we did look for the cheapest room, so no complaints) and if I did have one complaint it would be that there was no refrigerator. Overall, I would recommend the hotel cause of the great location and although we didn’t go there, the bar seemed extremely nice with some good happy hour deals (maybe next time!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank daniel z
Good afternoon Daniel,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities and location. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the future and also to enjoy the Happy Hours deals at the CQ Bar!
Olivier
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked my room online at a great price . I stayed here from the 25th October till the 30th in room 308! After my initital booking i had some other enquiries and emailed the hotel. They replied almost immediately, helped me with what i needed, nothing was too much trouble. I could tell during these emails that i made a good choice. Great customer service! Upon arrival the staff were friendly, happy, helpful again displaying good customer service and people skills and well groomed. Check in and out was easy & no fuss. I was impressed. The foyer / lobby area was immaculate, I cannot fault this hotel from the staff to the rooms. My room was serviced daily and it was really serviced...no half hearted job done here. 10/10 for the retractable clothes line in the shower , the shower wash and shampoo that was supplied was nice too. A full mini bar ( which i did not use ) iron,ironing board, hairdryer, coffee, tea etc..around near the lift was the laundry and a bathroom...for those who wanted a bath instead of a shower. Even this was immaculate. My room was quiet and very comfy. There is a dining area ( i did not use ) and a cafe attached ( i did use good coffee and again nice staff ). The hotel has free net half hour daily i thought was fantastic. Just enough time to check in with family and do the important things that couldnt wait till i arrived home ( im there to relax not sit at a computer for my entire stay). Location - PERFECT ( for me). surrounded by cafes, restaurants, pubs etc...lots of eating choices close by.A good walk to New world, Cable car and Te Papa. I had no intentions on ever revisiting Wellington ( my last trip there was 6 years ago and i left with a sour taste toward this Capital City) but that all changed the minute i walked into this hotel. It is amazing how good people skills can change your whole outlook - i have now fallen in love with Wellington.So much so im completing my studies mid next year and will look at relocating from Aus to Wellington with my kids.Im glad i chose this hotel and am already planning my next girls weekend and this hotel is definately my choice of stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank brightnbubbly
Dear brightnbubbly,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the future.
Olivier