“Poor sleep to be had here”

Comfort Hotel Wellington
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“Poor sleep to be had here”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night in mid October.
This hotel had the worst mattress I have ever experienced in a hotel. The springs could easily be felt through the top of the mattress. One particular spring kept digging into my hip. In fact during the following Sunday and Monday, once home, I experienced severe hip discomfort - which I blame this stay for.
Compounding the mattress problem was the fact that it was a very stormy Wellington night. The wind rattled the windows for most of the night. We discovered in the morning that the windows had not been closed properly - the top bolts had not been closed.

We complained about the mattress to reception in the morning. They were very concerned and apologetic. We were given a voucher for a free breakfast for two. The breakfast was really nice and we were grateful for the gesture. But maybe you shouldn't be charging for a room where you actually can't sleep properly? Surely the main purpose of a hotel is to provide a decent bed for the night?

My recommendation would be that all of the mattresses in this hotel be checked to make sure that the springs cannot be felt. This problem needs to be rectified.

You should also be providing guidance to your cleaning staff about making sure that the windows are properly closed.

1 Thank BestTravels2U
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Good afternoon BestTravels2U,

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I was very disappointed to read that you experienced such bad sleep in our hotel. We strive to ensure that all rooms and mattress are checked prior to our guest’s arrival as a quality control measure and in this instance it seems not to have been the case.

Your comment has been forwarded to the Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance technician reminding them to be more vigilant in quality management to minimise the risk of this reoccurring in the future.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Olivier Lacoua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Czech first
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is located perfectly on Cuba Street which is a huge bonus as there is a lot of stuff to do in the immediate area. As for the hotel, the price is extremely competitive (we spent quite a while trying to find a good mix of value/comfort) and this hotel was really the only option in Wellington. The hotel itself has a really nice lobby and friendly staff and they were very helpful getting us a no-notice room for 2 nights. The room was pretty small (we did look for the cheapest room, so no complaints) and if I did have one complaint it would be that there was no refrigerator. Overall, I would recommend the hotel cause of the great location and although we didn’t go there, the bar seemed extremely nice with some good happy hour deals (maybe next time!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank daniel z
Good afternoon Daniel,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities and location. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the future and also to enjoy the Happy Hours deals at the CQ Bar!
Olivier
Sydney
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked my room online at a great price . I stayed here from the 25th October till the 30th in room 308! After my initital booking i had some other enquiries and emailed the hotel. They replied almost immediately, helped me with what i needed, nothing was too much trouble. I could tell during these emails that i made a good choice. Great customer service! Upon arrival the staff were friendly, happy, helpful again displaying good customer service and people skills and well groomed. Check in and out was easy & no fuss. I was impressed. The foyer / lobby area was immaculate, I cannot fault this hotel from the staff to the rooms. My room was serviced daily and it was really serviced...no half hearted job done here. 10/10 for the retractable clothes line in the shower , the shower wash and shampoo that was supplied was nice too. A full mini bar ( which i did not use ) iron,ironing board, hairdryer, coffee, tea etc..around near the lift was the laundry and a bathroom...for those who wanted a bath instead of a shower. Even this was immaculate. My room was quiet and very comfy. There is a dining area ( i did not use ) and a cafe attached ( i did use good coffee and again nice staff ). The hotel has free net half hour daily i thought was fantastic. Just enough time to check in with family and do the important things that couldnt wait till i arrived home ( im there to relax not sit at a computer for my entire stay). Location - PERFECT ( for me). surrounded by cafes, restaurants, pubs etc...lots of eating choices close by.A good walk to New world, Cable car and Te Papa. I had no intentions on ever revisiting Wellington ( my last trip there was 6 years ago and i left with a sour taste toward this Capital City) but that all changed the minute i walked into this hotel. It is amazing how good people skills can change your whole outlook - i have now fallen in love with Wellington.So much so im completing my studies mid next year and will look at relocating from Aus to Wellington with my kids.Im glad i chose this hotel and am already planning my next girls weekend and this hotel is definately my choice of stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank brightnbubbly
Dear brightnbubbly,
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the future.
Olivier
Retford
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just your basic hotel room, simple and clean, bar was well stocked, wifi is free (though check with reception, welcome pack states it's in rooms but we had to go to the bar), and in a prime location in the CBD. We couldn't hear any noise form the street, but we had a massive room in front of our window so that was probably blocking the noise.

Noise does carry down the halls though, my boyfriend who was in reception on the ground floor could hear me moaning about the smell of his clothes on the first floor in the laundry room! Also, a group of women were shrieking for a few minutes late at night, something to do with a phone, but I was only half awake and they shut up pretty quickly.

Get in at the bar for happy hour, beers $5 :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Good morning kiwilovestravel,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the size of the CQ Quality Hotel Suites, indeed these are one of biggest in town.
I wish you good luck for winning this amazing brand new Suzuki Swift Sport! Please note, you will receive an entry for every booking you make up until November 30th 2012.
I look forward to welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was an amazing place for the price I paid to discover Wellington, almost everything was in walking distance from the Hotel. The street it is on has so many lovely cafés and more Sushi joints than you can shake a stick at! The room was lovely, the staff were helpful, I just wish I had more time there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Hi Ruairi77
Thank you for your reviews of CQ Hotels Wellington. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The team takes great pride in the service they deliver and I was pleased to share your comments with them. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again soon.
Regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in October. Whilst the location is great for restaurants and tourist attractions the room we had was terrible.
We could only just fit 2 of us and our 2 suitcases and hand luggage bags in the room and resorted to putting one of the cases and the rucksacks on the tiny desk as we could only fit one case in the wardrobe. The bed was a small double at best and took up 3/4 of the room and was possibly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever tried to sleep in. The room overlooked Cuba Street which was as noisy and lively as its reputation, but not conducive to sleep in a single glazed, ill-fitting windowed room. The bathroom was taller than it was long and was so narrow you have to stand side on to the sink to avoid getting splashed when washing your hands.
The staff on reception were pleasant but not very helpful. It took 2 attempts to get comprehensive directions to get to the hotel car park having just completed a stressful 4 hour drive in bad weather we could've done without driving 3 loops of the surrounding area following incorrect instructions on the first time of asking.
The breakfast was OK, although service finished quite early but the vegetarian options in the restaurant for evening dining were virtually none existent. Fortunately the location is great for a range of restaurants (recommend the flying burrito brothers just down the street).
Whilst selling itself on "character" this hotel would be better served if they were to half the number of rooms by doubling them in size to justify the prices they charge!!
I am disappointed in myself for not kicking up a fuss at the time...too much British reserve perhaps?
I would not recommend the comfort hotel to anyone travelling with more than an overnight bag or anyone wanting a decent nights sleep.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Joanne C,
I have taken careful note of your comment in regards to the size of the room and bathroom. As you noticed, the CQ Comfort Hotel is a prestigious 3 Star Plus Qualmark heritage building dating back to the 1800s. The hotel provides all of the basic necessities, comfortable and well appointed rooms in the middle of a very unique and vibrant heart of the Capital; Cuba Street.
During your next visit in Wellington, you may consider to reserve a room into the adjoining CQ Quality Hotel Wellington, 4 Star Plus Qualmark, all suites are very spacious with Queen size beds and equipped with modern kitchenettes. Adjoining shared facilities with the CQ Quality Hotel Wellington and CQ Comfort Hotel Wellington are an heated indoor pool and spa, fitness room, 24h reception, room service, restaurant, bar and café.
I have also taken careful note of your comment in regards to the limited vegetarian options in our restaurant; this has been forwarded to the Executive Chef for his review. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Joanne, I really appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Regards
CQ Hotels Wellington

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have just returned from 4 night stay at this hotel. We found the room size suitable for our needs. Having mobility problems I found the access to and in the hotel great as was the bathroom setup. The cleanliness was of a high standard and the staff friendly. Yes good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Faye B,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future.