“Great service and a relaxing stay”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Our club floor stay was very enjoyable and we were looked after well by the club staff. The food and wine in the club floor was of a high quality and although crowded the team were attentive. The room had not been renovated and was comfortable but dated. The new renovated rooms looked very good and the renovations on lower floors did not disturb us. The room service was very good although quite expensive but the portions were decent and the costs not unusual for a 5 star hotel. Loyalty program recognition was strong. This is our third stay and we have enjoyed each time. We look forward to returning to a renovated room and consider this to be one of the best InterContinental hotels we have stayed at.

Room Tip: The renovated rooms look great but none are on the club floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Ross Y,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to share your feedback.

The Team and I are delighted you enjoyed your recent Club InterContinental experience and the benefits you receive by being one of our valued IHG Rewards Club members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another great stay.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

As mentioned by several others, the location is excellent as it is central to the rest of the city and closer to the habour. The rooms are also newly renovated and luxurious. They even have a pillow menu for you to choose the type of pillow you want. So it does match what you pay for.

However, my experience with the counter staff was unpleasant. Firstly, she did not advise me correctly on the options of the internet properly and she did not smile at all.

My room was at one end of the hotel and I could not receive any wifi unless I'm near the room door. The wired internet was not working as well. When I called to check, the staff over the phone said it's probably a problem with the cable and she would send a replacement cable. 5 minutes later she called to say that as the hotel was full, they don't have a spare cable. I was amazed that such a luxurious hotel did not have one spare ethernet cable. The next day, I got a cable from my friend's room and confirmed that it was not a problem with the cable. I called the customer service and told them specifically it was not a cable problem. That afternoon, they came to sort out the problem with a cable. What can I say? In the end, the problem was never resolved and I gave up pursuing.

After the trip, they sent me a feedback request and I told them all these. They took my feedback seriously and assured me they have added an additional router near the area of my room and the wifi problem has been fixed. They also gave me a sizeable amount of IHG points for me to redeem my next stay as a goodwill gesture to my experience. So that at least show their sincerity to retain their customers.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank fourgeeven

Dear Fourgeeven,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay.

I was disheartened to read of the problems you faced during your time with us. I can assure you this is not indicative of the usual high standards we pride ourselves on. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

I am pleased however that we were able to make contact with you shortly after your stay to speak through these issues in more detail.

The Team and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington to further restore your confidence.

The Positives:
Excellent location close to the water and the rest of the city which is relatively small and very walkable.
The hotel is currently undergoing room renovations - depending on what room you get you will either get one which is newly redone or one which is not.
On top of my "corporate rate " of NZD 250 I decided to pay at check in an additional supplement of NZD 70 per night to access a Deluxe room which has been renovated.

The Negatives:
The bathrooms are nicely redone with large Grohe shower heads - unfortunately though the water presssure is unsatisfactory to get the full benefit.
Small irritation factors which detracted from the overall experience - for example why was there no complementary water bottle by the bed side? This is more or less standard nowadays for leading hotels around the world. All three nights I had to pay 7 dollars a bottle from the minibar.
Nice to have a bathrobe in the closet but why where there no slippers. Kind of silly having to walk to the swimming pool in a bathrobe and black socks!
The breakfast buffet is average at best with average selection and variety.
The fitness room is dated - hopefully this will be included in the hotel renovations.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear MattCopenhagen,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your review and valued feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed our central location and brand new Deluxe Guestrooms.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay. We pride ourselves on the 5 star service we deliver, so I was disappointed to hear of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at wellington@ihg.com so we may discuss the raised points in further detail.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on a recent holiday and had a great experience. This is a corporate luxury hotel so you get exactly what you expect and what you pay for. The room was really comfortable and the beds one of the best I've slept in. We had a new deluxe room with a semi-view and very nicely decorated. We swam in the pool and had it all to ourselves - most guests are there on business I imagine. Had a few drinks in the bar but its very corporate so not ideal if you're holidaying but there are loads of lovely places right outside. Very close to shops too.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review.

The Team and I were delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our brand new Deluxe Guestrooms; and also the opportunity to experience our many hotel facilities.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We usually stay here and it has never let us down.The service offered by the staff is outstanding. We stayed in a King bed Club room which was well appointed with an excellent bathroom. You may not always get the best views but that is not so essential when in the middle of a City.

The location is superb for shops , retaurants and several of the sights to see. As I have seen on other reviews you really do get what you pay for and would always recommend this hotel when in Wellington.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear David716,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review.

The Team and I are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay in one of our Club King Guestrooms and the memorable service provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another wonderful stay.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have reviewed this Hotel several times and I am pleased to report that some of my earlier comments and those of other travelers have been listened to as a huge refurbishment is under way.
We booked in for a two day stay to celebrate our 40th anniversary and as semi regular guests I contacted the concierge to advise him it was a special occasion for us, well it was simply the most superb stay we have had. The staff had obviously been advised we were arriving and we were greeted warmly by many we met during our stay and congratulating us on our 40 years.
Service was as always 5 star but this time it was even more special.
We had Club Rooms and the benefit of enjoying their superb pre dinner service overlooking the beautiful harbor just made it all the more special. A hotel is only as good as its staff and right now they have some very dedicated people making guests feel very welcome.
I want to thank each and every one of them for making this a very special weekend.

Room Tip: Club rooms are worth the extra although I doubt anyone would be disappointed with any of the rooms o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear 3shepherds,

As one of our dedicated guests we appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your valued feedback. May I take this opportunity to also congratulate you on your 40th Anniversary; I am delighted you chose to stay with us during this special occasion.

The Team were pleased to hear your kind words in regards to the service provided and were glad they made your weekend a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another fantastic stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the 22nd february. The service was excellent, the staff were very helpful and the room was fantastic. We had a lovely view and a great sized room in a convenient location. There was nothing we could fault with the hotel. Would recommend the motel for anyone staying in Wellington.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank BennyTheBoss
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and kind feedback. The Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and the level of service provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to New Zealand.