“Very good location.”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The location was excellent being close to the shops and waterfront.Staff were friendly and helpful .Rooms were average but reception area on arrival was very nice and spacious.The price we paid per night was very expensive being over $400 for a basic room but we did go there when WOW was on , so it was peak period.Car parking cost extra per night.

• Stayed: October 2013
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. The Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay; in particular our central location. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Scott Hamilton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of, if not the best located hotels in Wellington where the staff are consistantly among the best you will find anywhere in New Zealand.
If you dont mind paying a little extra then the Club floors on 8 and 9 give you access to the club lounge with views of the harbour, great quality wines and a well thought through range of boutique beers. You can also enjoy a quiet breakfast away from the husstle of the restaraunt. (Which by the way is excellent)
Has a well equipped gym with the usual machines, free weights and kettle bells.

Very hard to beat in the Capitol!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 20's have sea views. The hotel is going through a "discreet" renovation...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review. I was pleased to see you enjoyed the InterContinental experience and all it has to offer, in particular our many facilities including the Club InterContinental Lounge. The team pride themselves on the level of service they provide, so please rest assured I will pass your kind comments on. We look forward to welcoming you back for another pleasant stay.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I don't like having to spend only one night in a good hotel - you can't really appreciate its entirety unless you spend at least two nights, I think. But the single night I had at this inner city InterContinental showed that it had plenty to offer as well as room for improvement.

It is very much a CBD hotel, meaning that its quite handy for sight-seeing, shopping and business. Being located close to the harbour meant that I enjoyed a brisk 5-10 minute walk to my destination, the National Museum. There's also a lively high street shopping precinct just around the corner.

On arrival, my IHG status was acknowledged and I was given a complimentary upgrade - actually a double upgrade to a higher floor room with excellent views of Wellington harbour. I'm guessing the room was last renovated maybe a decade ago as it looked a bit dated. That said, it was very clean and well maintained, and replete with all the standard amenities including soft bathrobes, slippers, mini-bar etc. Added to that those nice little IC perks like complimentary chocolate, mineral water and sweets.

The bathroom also showed its age, but like everything else was very clean and well maintained. Toiletries and bath linen were also excellent quality. Wi-fi connection was not the best; meaning that it was intermittent and not up to speed at all. My dining experience was limited to room service in the form of dinner: lamb shank with creamy mash potato and carrots - very delicious and rounded off with a fresh fruit platter.

But the most important feature of all - the bed - did not disappoint: comfortable, luxurious and festooned with soft and firm pillows. I always regard sleep quality as THE most vital aspect of a room; if you can't sleep well then its hard to give a hotel a tick of approval. This InterContinental definitely gets a tick!

PROS: Central location. Easy access to shops, sight-seeing and business. Good food.
CONS: Needs upgrading. Bad wi-fi connection.

If my report helped in your decision-making, or if you just enjoyed reading it, then please take the time to click the "was this review helpful"? button located below. This is the only feedback I receive, and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank ExLibris76

Dear ExLibris76,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your review. I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay, in particular our central location. I would also like to thank you for your valued feedback; please rest assured we have taken this on board to further improve our service.

I am pleased to announce InterContinental Wellington is currently undergoing a major refurbishment, delivering even further on our promise of authentic luxury in the heart of New Zealand’s capital city. For more information on this please do not hesitate to contact our Team at wellington@ihg.com.

We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Wellington where you will be able to experience one of our newly refurbished guest rooms.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Cool hotel, had fantastic large room on 7th floor with great views, you gotta love Wellington on a good day. Hotel perfectly located to explore Wellington. very good friendly concierge. Good cafe with best breakfast muesli ever just across the road.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear FD67,

Thank you for your kind review. The Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to InterContinental Wellington and experienced all the Coolest Little Capital has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Lovely classic hotel. Pay extra for a room with a view as it is worth every cent. Great service by extremely professional staff. Close to all Wellington's city attractions.
Were only there for one night but the gym and pool look stunning.
Amazingly comfortable beds and pillows that you sink into!!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a view over the harbour.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted to hear of your wonderful stay; please rest assured I shall pass your kind comments onto the Team. I am also pleased you enjoyed our waterfront views and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I actually didn't have a choice - as this was the only hotel that was available through my company's travel reservation system. What I liked best was the excellent location the hotel had to offer. It was walking distance from the office, restaurants, ATMs etc. The rooms were neat, spacious and very accommodating but everything else was a bit normal and nothing to write home about. Staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. The food wasn't too great - breakfast didn't have a lot of options and neither did the room service menu items. I had stayed for about 10 days but I didn't get much points as I would have got if I had stayed in other establishments although I was a IHG gold member. Overall, good hotel, wouldn't mind staying here again, but would try other options if I had the choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed our central location and spacious guestrooms. Thank you for your feedback; rest assured we have taken these comments on board to further improve our service. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Rooms were a bit dated - bathroom was tired.
Staff were fantastic - went above and beyond when they knew I was a loyalty member. Breakfast was delivered incorrectly one morning, and when I phoned to have it corrected, manager hand delivered new brekkie herself and didn't charge at all.
Wifi internet in hotel was pricey - not worth it.
Food options were also boring.
Concierge staff knew the area back to front.
Spa was overly booked, couldn't secure an appt 3 days in advance so had to go elsewhere. Maybe more spa staff needed?
Pool and jacuzzi also need an update.

If I go back to Wellington, I'd still stay here again because of staff and location of hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Travelandread,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review from your recent stay. The Team were delighted to hear of your kind comments regarding the fantastic service you received. Please accept my sincere apologise for the incorrect breakfast order; I am however pleased the Manager on Duty had this swiftly resolved.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback, please rest assured we have taken these comments on board. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.

Best regards,