“On the expensive side”

Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“On the expensive side”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and used our priority privileges... Which gave us 2 nights for the pice of one. Still made it an expensive stay. Very nice room with large bath and separate shower.
Rooms are on the dated side but still very nice and comfortable with plenty of space.
Nice desk and chair although lighting poor over the desk and the desk lamp not quite strong enough..
Wifi too expensive as in most hotels... If they lowered the price then we would all use it... High price dont touch it !!!
Had breakfast and a light dinner in the restaurant.... Good buffet breakfast although service a little slow on the day we ate there. Dinner service was good maybe because it was very quiet SAT night as well???? Again over priced and we only used it for convenience and the fact we had some discount priority priveleges certificates..
If it was more reasonable maybe it would have been busier.
All in all a nice hotel on the expensive side!!!!

Room Tip: We had a king room with spa bath... If you like baths it was fabulous , although the standard room...
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RND1985
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. As one of our valued Priority Privilege members I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay overall in particular our room facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Scott Hamilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times and it is a very tidy and clean hotel. The Rooms are well appointed, and the hotel offers a selection of different pillows to meet your requirements.

For the business traveller, the rooms offered a nice desk from which you can work, and the room I was in had a Wired internet connection. I am unsure if Wireless was an option but it was not offered at checkin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your kind review. As a regular guest of ours I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Best regards,
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Very average service at check in. We booked a number if rooms in a frequent corporate group. A number of our rooms weren't ready at 2pm which reception didnt seem particularly concerned about. I returned a few hours later and my paperwork was lost and I had a long wait to recover my room key.

Excellent location. Beds comfortable.

I thought it was overpriced, I have stayed at better in Wellington.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Theresa A
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. I was disappointed to hear you were not satisfied with your overall stay. I can assure you this is not indicative our usual high standards. Please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@ihg.com so we may further discuss the points raised.

Warm regards,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel rooms are tired and need a refresh but the size was good. Breakfast was great and reception service was good. Great gym - one of the better gyms I've seen in a hotel. A bit overpriced for the quality of the hotel. Great location.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and had the chance to experience our many facilities including Emerge Health Club. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

It this was a review of a 3 star business hotel I would say a good stay. For a five star intercontinental hotel it was incredibly poor. On checking in my platinum status in IHG did not even get me a word of welcome to the hotel much less the promised and not delivered room upgrade. I found throughout a 4 day stay that hotel staff were outwardly polite but with no warmth or willingness to actually provide anything resembling assistance. The rooms are tired and it is like walking into 1982 frayed at the edges, certainly not what an Intercontinental should be. The air conditioning could only be adjusted from artic winter to Ethiopian summer, my wife and I just had to choose which of these two extremes best suited us. The breakfast was appalling. Poor quality, limited standard choices, expensive and everything pre cooked. When I asked for fresh soft poached eggs that had not festered in a container and gone hard for who knows how long I was told to wait until new eggs were bought out!!!? This is a five star hotel????? Take my advice stay in one of the modern $100 a night cheaper large hotels with modern rooms and a management that takes guests seriously. I always stay in IHG hotels as I am involved in their rewards program but this hotel has convinced me to stay elsewhere on my regular visits to Wellington.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David H
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As one of our valued Platinum members I was disappointed to hear of the shortfalls you experienced on your recent visit to the hotel. I can assure you this is not indicative of our usual high standards and for this I sincerely apologise. Please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@ihg.com so I may discuss these points raised in further detail. The team and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington so we may further restore your confidence.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at the Intercontinental check in was very good with a staff member showing us around the hotel including the pool area and explaining what we were able to have included as we are priority customers. Our room was on the 8th floor with a nice view, comfy beds and big tv. The 9th floor priority club room was great, the staff were so helpful especially Lauren who went out of her way to greet us and gave wonderful service. Breakfast was great with lots of selections from fresh fruit to just about anything you could want. The last night we had dinner in the Chemeleon Restaurant with the most delicious tender steak, great chef and fresh produce, wine was pricey though. All in all it was a great stay at the InterC. and we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Floors 8 & 9 would be my choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you taking the time to provide us with your kind review. The Team and I are glad you enjoyed your recent stay and had the chance to experience our many facilities; including our Club InterContinental Floors. We pride ourselves on the 5-star service we deliver, so I am glad you had the chance to experience this during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the very near future.

Best regards,
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Check in was great and allocated 5th floor room on a corner so had a bit more room. Staff are excellent and as a frequent guest at Intercontinental Hotels received a fruit basket and cheese platter and a bottle of red wine soon after arrival from GM Scott Hamilton. Hotel in very central location with a great breakfast in the morning. Cannot fault the service and would highly recommend to anyone coming to the "coolest small Capital in the world"
Craig Willis

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr Willis,

As one of valued regular guests, I would like to thank you for providing us with your kind review. I am pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay, and the small welcome back amenities awaiting in your room. Please rest assured I will pass your kind comments onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another enjoyable stay.

All the best,