“Nothing Special”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good sized room, although a little dated, no complaints about the room. The hotel is centrally located, I was on level 2 and there was a bit of street noise.
The concierge staff were very friendly and helpful, the woman who seated us at breakfast was not, in fact she didnt even say good morning. Overall nothing wrong with the hotel but for the price I think you could get better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our central location and the service delivered by our Concierge team. I am however disappointed to hear this service was not continued during your breakfast; please rest assured this is not at all indicative of our usual high standards and for this I am sincerely sorry. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington to further restore your confidence.
Scott Hamilton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,515)

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stay here reasonably regularly. Service from staff is always attentive and this stay was no exception. Rooms are being done up which is good to see as they were getting dated. Always get a good sleep with great beds and pillow options.
Only gripe was that there was no hot drink or coffee service in the lobby the Friday night we were there. Couldn't understand this at all. Does the hotel only have one coffee machine for expresso coffee?

Room Tip: Harbour views are great. Otherwise you look onto office blocks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank blowenz
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your recent review. I am glad to hear you enjoy the 5 star service delivered by our fantastic team and that this stay was no exception. I am also pleased you enjoy our range of pillow options we offer when staying at the hotel. As for the coffee incident please accept my sincere apologies, we have not come across this issue before so I will be sure to investigate this with the appropriate manager. Please do not hesitate to contact me further at wellington@ihg.com so I may speak with you in further detail.
Best regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great location of this hotel. Close to shops, restaurants and attractions. Stayed on the 9th floor Club level. Well appointed lounge, good breakfast and canapes of a night. The only negative would be that bedrooms are a little tired and in need of a reburbishment. However, I understand that this is in near future. Would definately stay at this hotel if in Wellington again.

Room Tip: Any room on the Club level
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. The Team and I are glad you enjoyed your recent Club InterContinental experience in particular the Continental breakfast and Canapés served in our Club Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I love the location of this hotel. As a royal ambassador, I enjoy the upgrade to the club however am totally disappointed in the evening canape selection that they now offer, ie, a tasting plate. Staff are professional, but perhaps lacking in some warmth? I did have an issue with not being able to access pay movies, which wasnt able to be resolved but not a huge issue, just an annoyance really. I also love being able to use the indoor pool which is a lovely temperature, and spa and sauna. These are a real plus to me. All in all a good stay in a nice harbour view room and will be back again in a few weeks....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

As one of our valued Royal Ambassador members we truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall, and had the chance to relax and enjoy Emerge Health Spa and pool. Rest assured I have taken your comments on board to further improve our service. Please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@ihg.com to discuss these points in detail. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in a few weeks’ time.
Warm regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Second visit here over the last six months. The first was disappointing re service, especially at reception. Things had improved a lot but still a touch of "meeting the requirements of reception" rather than full customer focus. But a significant lift. This hotel is so well placed in the heart of the Lambton Quarter and a skip away from the harbour. Rooms are large, clean and the beds really comfortable. Really appreciate the wake up call coffee (or tea). Make sure you call reception and book your wake up call and enjoy a cheery grreting and a hot cuppa within minutes of waking. Close to five star experience. Maybe next time?

Room Tip: Try a corner room. A little larger
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review. I am disappointed to hear of your experience regarding the service provided. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests a great experience at all times and I would like you to rest assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. I am however pleased to hear you enjoyed the warm greeting and complimentary beverage with your wake up call. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental so we may further restore your confidence.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Every year or so we take a quick weekend break in our own hometown (cuts the travel right down!) and generally stay at the InterContinental, especially as Priority Privilege Club membership makes it good value. We booked a Club room with spa bath and had a lovely weekend. The wines in the lounge were great quality (Ata Rangi) and the service was friendly yet attentive. The only real let-downs were the hotel's rather dated look and rooms also showing their age (mainly in the bathroom). The king bed was firm but comfortable (just the right balance), room service dinner good if pricey (again, Priority Privilege has advantages), and breakfast in both the lounge and restaurant also good (and included, like valet parking and Internet, if you book a Club room).

The biggest let-down was again a tiny thing - which I raised during my last stay - and that was the wine glasses in the room being ISO/XL-5 tasting glasses. A terrible choice. Thankfully, the friendly staff in the Club lounge let us borrow some better glassware. All considered, we had a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a harbour view - although that's close to the busiest street and you make...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I am a very frequent business traveller but 1st time at the intercontinental Wellington. This is a brilliant hotel - very friendly staff across many departments, great location with bars, coffee shops and shopping close by. This place impressed me so much when I needed my suit pressed at 4pm and returned that night- house keeping did it to perfection and didnt put up any objections to my requests. My only issue is that the shower is a little "weak" and the mini bar was not restocked during my stay, but I'm sure one phone call and it would have been fixed. Fast and friendly valet parking and nice big breakfast Buffett. Ill be back here for me future stays for sure!

• Stayed: February 2013
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment of your time to complete your review. The team at InterContinental Wellington are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments regarding friendliness of the staff across the departments. Our team will be pleased.

Kindest regards