“Great food but a bizzare dining experience”
Review of Curry Pot

Curry Pot
Ranked #195 of 956 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: good south indian food, have been a curry fan for yrs but curry in NZ is usually rubbish NOT HERE the food was good staff friendly and clean, fantastic value 5 of us ate for $169
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My partner and I often eat here and find the food great very authentic, reasonably priced but have found the dining experience leaves something to be desired.

We generally order Onion Bahji, which is the nicest in Wellington (IMHO), either Afgahani Chicken or Chicken Tikka, both of which are beautiful and moist, followed by a curry each and a naan bread. This generally leaves us with enough to take home for the next day.

The restaurant is small and the decor could do with updating.

The wine selection is small and some what confusing. After being told they did not have a wine list but I could look in the fridge and pick what I like, I picked a bottle of Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc. The waitress then asked if I really wanted this and perhaps I would prefer a Selaks Pinot Gris. Begrudgingly I agreed, and the waitress disappeared out the back of the restaurant before returning 15 mins later with the wine. While I can't prove it I have a sneaking suspicion she headed to the Countdown across the street to buy it.

We finished the bottle of wine and asked for another. The waitress then asked if we were driving as she would not serve us if we were. We explained that we were walking and she went out to get the other bottle. After a glass of this she offered to keep the rest of the wine in their fridge until the next time we visit. We declined and finished it before leaving.

We love the food but won't be hurrying back to eat at the restaurant, think we will get take-away and can buy our own wine from Countdown.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My partner and I enjoyed a nice casual meal here last night. As usual we over ordered and were stuffed by the time we left.

We started with a tandorri chicken leg and vegetable pakoras to start. Very yummy. I recommend ordering raita with the pakoras.

For our mains my partner ordered chicken briyanni. He enjoyed this dish but was grateful that it came with raita as it was a bit dry. I ordered a prawn curry dish and this was delicious. We also ordered garlic nann and rice so there was heaps of food.

One thing to note is that not all of the meat dishes will be avaliable when you ordered. I ordered my main at about 7:30pm and was told that there were no lamb dishes avaliable.

It is nice to dine in here, however there are not a lot of tables so it will probably pay to book. This restaurant seems to be very popular with people wanting takeaways.

I would recommend the Curry Pot for a nice casual dinner with friendly service.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We took the bus from our City hotel to Newtown for some op shop browsing and stumbled upon this restaurant (lured in by the aroma) where we had the most wonderful lunch special. The place was packed but the service came with a smile. What a little gem for flavour and value.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were in Wellington, and craving for South Indian food. So we went here. A dosa cost us $8, and was very poor quality. Service was poor too. Avoid this place.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have mainly ordered takeaways so far but loved it everytime! The food is delicious and the service was great. Ideal location too.