“BYO fun”

Ozeki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #412 of 997 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ozeki is the place to go to for fresh, delicious Japanese food at a great price. It is Wellington’s best Japanese BYO eatery. Based on Tory St in the heart of Wellington, Ozeki is the place to bring your friends, your family, your work crew or that special someone, for lunch or dinner. Ozeki specialises in tasty meals, from sushi to noodles, vegetarian and delicious chicken, beef, fish and lamb dishes. Always popular from the dinner menu is Ozeki’s set meal selection which include our homemade miso soup, rice and salad and which start at $18.50 or our world-famous-in-Wellington Bento boxes! Ozeki is a fully licensed BYO restaurant. So, if you have a favourite wine to go with your meal, bring it along! Or you can choose from our own selection of wines, beers, soft drinks and a range of quality sake (Japanese rice wine) for a very authentic taste of Japan! There’s plenty of room at our tables to stretch out and enjoy the atmosphere, and our friendly staff will make sure you have a great time.
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

8 of us had dinner here and all of us were pleased with our meals.
We were also very pleased to be able to take our own wine and were only charged $3 corkage a bottle. I shared two starters and a main with my friend and we couldn't finish all the food that only cost us $23 each.
Lots of big groups so quite loud but heaps of fun.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

What a disappointment the restaurant was recommended by a food critic, certainly he has no experience of asian cuisine. The staff were all Chinese on the night I visited, and the food was Chinese tasting. I may as well have gone to the local Chinese takeaway as the tastes were similar. I ordered a glass of wine and that certainly was corked. The rice in the sushi was sour and did not taste like Japanese rice at all, and the entree platter consisted of fried spring rolls, fried chicken, sour rice sushi, meat ball (not fresh) all of it nothing like the fresh and crisp taste that should be a Japanese restaurant. Definitely will not go there again.

1  Thank Ian P
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I ordered the teriyaki vegetable and tofu set menu, which also comes with rice, miso and salad - this was very filling. I enjoy this because I like all the different options.

My friends all ordered the chicken curry udon soup - it came with chicken, broccoli, cauliflower and seaweed (3 out of 4 were very happy with the soup).

The meals came out quickly, although there was a 1 -2 minute wait between my dish and my friends.

I enjoyed my weekday meal, however I feel this place is more suitable as a good BYO location.

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

So the food here is good value and yummy, especially the teriyaki chicken. The service however is pretty shoddy... When booking for a group of 20 for a birthday, having booked well in advance and rung to check the next day, when we arrived only a table for 10 had been set up, and the restaurant was full. I asked repeatedly for them to fix the situation and they kept ignoring us, even when 10 people were standing around our table. They then moved us to another very overcrowded room where we were basically on each other's laps. We then asked for free corkage as compensation which they said no to. We did get some free Sake though. It will still remain one of our group's BYO options though as it's one of the biggest Japanese restaurants in town.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I had gyoza dumplings and a teriyaki chicken & unagi (eel) set. The dumplings were delicious. The rest of the food was pleasant but nothing special, as well as a tad expensive.

The restaurant is very open and mainly large and noisy tables. The service was fairly slow.