“Transported me back” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #594 of 904 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
“Transported me back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We wound up here last night for dinner. The restaurant itself is nothing special at all, but the food was lovely. Super fresh tasting. I had the avocado vegetarian fresh spring rolls and the tofu and vegetable bowl with rice noodles. Having been to Vietnam last year I was transported back to the little side of the road places we went to. The tofu was freshly deep fried which makes a big difference to the texture of the tofu. I will definitely be back. Cheap too!

Visited April 2014

Wellington, New Zealand
“Best Vietnamese in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I come here once or twice a week. Great tasting fresh food, very authentic, and the owners are lovely.

I started frequenting this place after my previous favourite Vietnamese place in Wellington had started to go downhill (Fishermans Plate on Bond street). I didn't realise at first, but as it turned out the real reason Fishermans Plate started going downhill was because the owners had actually left and were now running Phong Vu!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cameronbourgeois
Auckland, New Zealand
“Not authentic!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

After craving some pho we decided to walk down to the arcade to try this.. I ordered a chicken pho dish and you can tell first off that the broth had not been cooked for a very long period, the broth had a bland taste, lack of chicken and overall was not authentic (real shame as this place is run by a Vietnamese family). My partner ordered a chicken pad thai like noodle dish, too salty and oily. Looked like they threw in a bunch of soy sauce on the noodles, fried it and popped it on a dish. The ambiance was terrible and was awkward eating while the 3 staff was standing there staring at us. There was no air cond and it got quite stuffy and hot (if you are the owner and reading this, get a fan or something as eating hot dishes and sweating is a horrible combination!) I also ordered ice coffee which was only 3/4 full and my partners drink was fulled to the max (very inconsistent) and overall we paid around NZD$40 for our meal which we felt was too steep for what they had to offer.

• Visited February 2013
wellington, nz
“delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

go here almost every monday for lunch. always get the pho bo or the bun bo hue and its always delicious. the family is nice, the place is clean and the food authentic. would recommend to anyone.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wellington, New Zealand
“Cheap, authentic, quick and tasty as!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I must have been here 10 times now, always get a rare beef pho, sometimes the prawns on sugar cane, its always tasty. I went here after reading a rave review in the local paper (Dom Post) and i can only agree with everything he said. Sure, i never try anything else but i know what i like and thats what i have. The staff are very friendly though this may be because i go so often! If i'm feeling lazy i sometimes go to their sister restaurant on Bond Street (Fishermans something) and while decent theres just something i cant put my finger on thats not as good as Phong Vu. For the price bracket its an easy 5 from me!

• Visited November 2012