“Don't waste you're money here.”

Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
and 1 more site!
Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We didn't look at reviews before we came here but we so wish we had. One positive, the double bed we stayed in was really comfy but that said, the noise from people stomping up and down the stairs, slamming doors and talking in the hallways until late ruined any chance of a good nights sleep. The kitchen was small and not that clean. This is definitely a hostel for young partying backpackers. There are so many choices of hostels in Wellington, a lot of which are closer to the centre, that I don't know why anyone would choose this one.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I liked staying here. The bunks where high so you could sit up if you were on the bottom bunk. Had a nice TV room for movies or TV. The kitchen was a bit small, but was okay. The free breakfast was cool. They include Internet but I couldn't connect on my iPad. The people I met there were cool too.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was one of the best hostels I stayed in while I was traveling around New Zealand. The owner is super friendly and genuinely wants to know what you're all about. Our double room was clean and had a sink and hairdryer IN the room. The bed was the second most comfortable bed we slept in while in NZ. There's also free breakfast...cereal for some reason is delicious when you're traveling! The hostel also has a nice lounge and funky music playing during the day. The terrace is a great place to hang out and it is a short walk to downtown. Great vibe and a great stay! We are going back to Wellington in a few days and staying there again! I think that says it all!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hostel has been my home for nearly six months of the past year. It is a small but busy en vibrant place with new people coming in every day, but also quite a few people like myself who make it their home away from home. Old people who do not like noise should reconsider coming here because most of the people staying here like to have fun and the building being a hundred years old does not make it any quieter. Wendy and Andy are the loveliest people, they will help you out with any questions you may have about the city and if they're not in just ask someone else, it is an easy place to make friends! I travelled to and from Wellington several times over the past year and always stayed at World Wide, experienced earthquakes, storms and citywide power-cuts here and it was awesome.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MartijnNZ12
Reviewed April 28, 2013

You will either love or hate this hostel depending on what you are looking for. This is not the place to stay if you want a quiet night. However, if you want to meet fun friendly people, have a drink and a party, then it must be the best place in the world for that. I decided to take a chance on Worldwide despite the poor reviews on here and on BBH, mainly because all the other hostels close to the centre of Wellington sounded a bit big and impersonal. Boy, am I glad I stayed here! Everyone was really friendly - there were some people who'd been there for a week or two and had obviously become the best of friends in that time, but they still had time for new arrivals, so there was absolutely no cliqueyness. I was there for St Patrick's Day and a couple of Irish girls organised a superb party.
The owners were really friendly too - they obviously enjoy running a hostel and seeing everyone having such a good time. They make themselves scarce in the evenings though, and pretty much leave the hostel to run itself.
I cancelled my last nights stay on the day, but they gave me a full refund, which I wasn't expecting, because someone else wanted to stay an extra night.

Room Tip: Room 3 is very small.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed April 9, 2013

To be honest, the place really does need a good revamp. The area is old, messy and looks rather dirty. So it would definitely not be suited to a clean freak. The rooms are also rather small and do not provide much storage for bags.

However, the staff are amazing, the outdoors is big and relaxing, location is great and the atmosphere is very relaxed.

It was great for the Wellington Sevens, but any other time I wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms down stairs are quieter, but most rooms are the same size
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the Wellington Sevens and absolutely loved it! I have no idea why so many people have written bad reviews! We found the owners amazing and the other guests very friendly :) yeah it's not the cleanest place but its a backpackers. The outside area was nice to enjoy a few predrinks in the sun. Would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2013