“Beautiful Historic Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Oceanside
“Beautiful Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

A quaint historic hotel that's been well preserved. Great service as well. We upgraded to a room that had a fantastic bathroom... Black and white tile floor, glass shower doors and a separate jet bath! Wonderful after a long day of traveling. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I booked into this hotel at the last minute, without much research - so I had no idea what to expect.
I was offered a reduced rate.
On arrival (after 10pm) the staff member was helpful and welcoming.
I was suprised that the hotel doubles as a Freemason's lodge.
The decor is very tired - not really to my taste.
The bed was comfortable.
The television had a limited range of broadcast only channels.
I guess it was ok, but I don't think I'll book it again. A taste thing.
Finally the window in my room was odd. Chest height.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JoeGreenz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Always love going back here, and have been doing so for 7 or 8 years since their original refurbishment. The Hotel is right downtown, and with Wellington's compact nature, it's not far from anywhere a tourist might want to go. Has a real old school feel about it, originally being a Gentlemen's Club (the right kind). A sweeping staircase, leather chairs in front of the fire, etc. The rooms are really comfortable and old world style. My wife has this as her default place to stay when we're overnighting in Wellington.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark L
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Really loved this beautiful historic building and it's fantastic location. The food, silver service and attention to detail was awesome! The bathrooms are really nice and that is something that I am really fussy about so I was pleased (and my husband was pleased that it came up to my standard ;)). The staff are really good and accomodate your requests as best they can. Would recommend for the location service food cleanliness and rooms. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank princesspea01
Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I really, really wanted to like this place. It's not often that you find lovely historic buildings in NZ CBD's to stay in, so I enjoy the opportunity and was very excited about a 1 night stay while in Wellington on business. They nearly had it right - but with some small extra touches it could have been really lovely.
The building is nice with a cute old cage elevator, but the room (I had a superior one) was strangely appointed with a larger than necessary bathroom, but this left the main room with only one small window and an odd dinning room area which wasn't very useful. As I was on business I wanted to work and would have benefited more greatly from a desk with some decent lighting.
The Molton Brown toiletries were exciting – I usually only see those in the UK and they’re lovely.
I ordered room service which was very ordinary. Again not bad - but not as great as I expected.
All in all a nice hotel but felt a little let down that it was noting special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Witney, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel had good reviews and looked attractive for our intended stay in Wellington from 17th January until 22nd January 2013. I believed that booking directly with the hotel would be a good idea. WRONG!. I simply checked the box saying that I have read the T&Cs and gave my credit card details to secure the booking. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the hotel had taken the full amount of NZD 1295 from my card even though it would be a full 5 months before we stayed there. When questioned there was an immediate apology and an offer to refund 80% of the charge. That was eventually increased to a near full refund - they deducted the bank charges associated with the refund. But it took more than 2 weeks to achive with more than 10 e-mail exchanged between us. Along the way, they credited NZD500 to my account and took it back the same day. After another week they credited NZD800. Then the balance after I had requested VISA to initiate their dispute process. Having drawn attention to a quite unsatisfactory situation, the response was to tell me to stay somewhere else! Not surprisingly I will and I wlll tell as many other unsuspecting potential clients to beware of the fact that this hotel will take full payment against your card as a condition of booking. Outrageous.!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Michael W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Food was awesome and service was prompt. As young people going there we didn't feel like they really wanted us there but was still good. Great start to the WOAP festival! Definitely recommend people to go there, the decor of the lobby and restaurant is just beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends