“Better than we expected!”

The Lodge at the Inlet
The Lodge at the Inlet
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Better than we expected!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

After reading the earlier reviews I was concerned about our stay at the Lodge but it turned out to be great! We stayed two nights with friends that got married. Our room was large and sunny and we had a great sleep. There aren't tea/coffee facilities in the room but the owner was more than happy to get milk for us and we used the tea station off the lounge. There isn't a T.V in the room either but there is one in the bar. This is a great wedding venue, very large and some great spots for photos and guests to mingle. The food was lovely and plenty of it as well.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the upstairs room and had a lovely view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank HomebaseTauranga

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Napier, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Well sadly, we must have stayed there on an off day (or two). The place does have spectacular views & that's about it really. Our experience turned very dark in a matter of minutes. Firstly, the so called apartment we stayed in stunk like mildew & methane(not from us I might add), the power cut out as I was in the shower with shampoo in my hair, no TV's in the room to chill out and watch when you ...have the kids in bed. No coffee, no microwave. Don't go there if you have asthma ~ serious mold problem too! Thumbs down right there! Then I decided to watch the Rugby in the lounge with the owners and their family & friends. It was a nice atmosphere at first until the ONE chair (out of the 20 odd seats there)I saved for my husband and our friends for when came back from the game was asked to be given up??? I was shocked and said that I would like to save it for my husband if that's ok? The owner responded "well, I'd like my son to have a seat thank you and your husband wasn't expected back early from the game" I was so shocked, I went stone cold. We were PAYING guests ... they didn't offer us a drink, greet us when the rest of the guests came in. In fact, they were told they were inconveniencing them to ask to see their rooms during the rugby game!!! Absolutely shocking. Oh, and the two big puke piles outside our door the next morning were just the cherry on top of our stay. NEVER again!!! ZERO rated!! What a waste of a beautiful property with such lovely views. New gracious owners and staff would be a warm and recommended welcome!

Room Tip: If you can land the room they advertise on their website, you might be ok, but Im not sure in actual...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Karen K
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

I would not recommend this as a wedding venue to anyone and the list of complaints is endless.
Clearly the new owners lack experience within the fields of hospitality.
There was not sufficient food to serve all the guests which included the bride and groom. The bride’s father had a bread roll (without butter as they had no butter left!),one tiny spoonful of cous cous and salad.
Brides brother, grooms cousin and the bride had to eat bread, cous cous and salad. No meat was left and the other dishes were empty.
For $40 a head they only offered one meat option, along with salad, cous cous, bread rolls and one other dish. (Can’t comment on it though as there was none left) Gear Homestead certainly offer a lot better selection for the value for $40 and it’s a beautiful location too)
The owners failed to honour some of the agreements which they said they would.
Caused undue stress to the bride and groom.
The owners were rude to sober guests and drinking guests complaining of service. The owner looked like he had just rolled out of bed. Personal presentation is not what I would expect for a facility like this.
Finally, they were clearing full drinks from the tables when people were dancing. Resulting in many guest complaints that they had to keep buying drinks. A complete rip off.
Real shame as it is a beautiful place

• Stayed February 2011