“Does what it says on the can”

Richmond Guest House
Ranked #20 of 48 Wellington B&B and Inns
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Does what it says on the can”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Just one night stop. John, the manager, was very helpful and had a quirky sense of humour which was surprising after all that he has had (and continues to) endure in his personal life. We liked him.
The facilities were OK and all that we needed for a one night stay. He explained the parking rules carefully and provided us with a permit so there were no problems.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Shoeburyness
Reviewed March 9, 2014

It's difficult to write a balanced review when the owner is downright rude and insulting, but I'll do my best. On the plus side, it's close to the centre (10 mins walk) and cheap. The rooms have all you need. Can't comment on breakfast as we didn't stay for it, or wifi as we didn't want to ask for the code and get another round of verbal abuse.

On the downside, the owner of this B&B was really unpleasant. He opened by telling us he is 'fed up telling stupid tourists how to park, and that we would definitely be fined if we parked illegally' - not really very helpful. Luckily I was expecting a 'Fawlty Towers' like reception based on other reviews so just laughed at this. But it didn't get any better. As he had asked for my credit card details over the phone we decided just to stay the night and have nothing more to do with him. This we successfully did, skipped breakfast, paid and left the next morning. PS - unfortunately, we found that our car had been keyed (deeply scratched) outside the B&B overnight, so be careful if you are travelling by car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JohnShoeburyness
johno116, Manager at Richmond Guest House, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Hi John
Well im' sorry that you got your feelings hurt but to quote another guest here the same night as you
from Expedia, : the arragence of some guests . maybe get a new zealand road code instruction book
as i explained to you at the time i can loan you a parking permit but you will still have to park your car properly the same as every other car in the street which does tend to make it a little obvious , im' here to operate a bed and breakfast not to get into debates with folk over the New Zealand road code etc'' And as you are aware the parking wardens did come around at 6.05am the next morning and as you know one of my guests did get ticked , the way you were parked you would have been towed , New Zealand is just like any other country , obey the laws and things will be good but if you haven't' even got time to read the road code well ,

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Maungaturoto, New Zealand
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was my third stay at the Richmond Guest House. The place is not a modern structure but has the rustic old world charm of Victorian buildings and has all the basic requirements. The rooms I have been in are basically just big enough for sleeping. There is a lounge for stretching out in, and a decent sized dining room for breakfast. Not far from the CBD but a quiet enough street for a good nights sleep. Proprieter John has been through quite a few trials in life and his mannerisims took a bit of getting used to at first, but I now really enjoy a chat with him. I will be staying again. It's important to display the supplied parking permit at all times, othewise you'll get a ticket like me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 4, 2014

It ain't flash, but the old building has character, is quiet, and the rooms are comfortable and clean. The shower is hot and has good pressure. Nicely firm mattress and a basic breakfast. If you need a room for a few days close to town, and have a limited budget this works well. It does seem that the proprietor has a continuous program of painitng and general maintenance, so don't be surprised if he is a bit splattered with paint and there are areas of wet paint to watch for..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was clean enough, not overly. Got a newspaper daily. Continental breakfast available on time. Kitchen stocked with utensils. But, the manager is as described in other reviews. Customer service is not his forte but complaining is. Bed mattress was saggy and like sleeping in a hammock. Room not overly large but adequate. Common area had old CRT TV and saggy chairs/couch. Healthy walk to the bus stop but doable. Internet available but spotty. Ok as a place to sleep but for the money could probably do better elsewhere if vacationing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon D
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The location is superb, the price is good, I have no real problems except I wished I had a desk. The wifi access rigmarole (seems New Zealand needs to catch up bandwidth wise big time) is a problem for me as I am a web developer -- I can't run to the owner every 1-200MB. But I bought a 2degrees SIM and I'm good.

There's laundry here which is very useful. The breakfast is a meh, you can find so much better in less than ten minutes walking.

Speaking of walking, note the least climbing can be had by Hania and Mori streets, I recommend first doing this route going down as you simply can't miss it that way, there's nowhere else to go from Mori but out to Hania. If you want to find it going up, first check Google maps and then coming from the shore, walk on Hania past the church, in the far corner of the Life Centre parking lot you will end up on Mori street which does a 90 degree turn and ends up on Brougham right next to the guesthouse. It's very sneaky and absolutely without any signs. Otherwise, I'd have found the climb on Brougham street a bit too much for my knees but this way I am good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank bean1975
Hampshire
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I arrived during the evening, for a 2 night stay, travelling alone and following a tiring hiking/kayaking/biking adventure holiday on South Island. As a single woman of 62 travelling alone, I felt shocked and unprepared at my initial meeting with the owner who is the survivor of a severe fire and has considerable burns scaring to his face. Although he was approachable, helped to carry my luggage for me and showed me around the B and B, he was more concerned to explain the rules and requirements of the B and B and talk about his own experiences than to allow a tired and exhausted guest to get to bed and sleep. I was also unsettled by the owner's fairly wacky sense of humour which I did not fully understand at first. I offered to pay for my room in advance because I felt that might help the owner feel more at ease and that I was not out to cheat him. Very few people seemed to be staying at the B and B on the 2 nights when I stayed. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet with shower and toilet. Breakfast was fairly basic with little choice of bread other than white sliced and more variety of food choice would have been welcomed. Lots of little notices everywhere told guests what they must/must not do. I generally felt uncomfortable and was out and about for most of the day and wondered whether a solo male traveller would have felt easier. Because the owner was around in the sitting room and office for much of the evening I felt unable to use the public lounge and TV area. Having spent 5 weeks in NZ experiencing a range of hotels, B and B, Mountain huts and Hostels - this was the only difficult experience I had.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo