Richmond Guest House
Hotels.com
$129
$90
  • Fitness center
Best Western Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$103
  • Bar/Lounge
$191
$146
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$46
$40
$211
$117
  • Pool
Quality Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$135
$130
  • Pool
Wellesley Boutique Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
$75
$73
  • Room Service
At Home Wellington(Wellington)
$112
$109
Orbitz.com
  • Fitness center
All reviewsb bparking permithost johnnew zealandbasin reservebed and breakfasttv loungecity centrecourtney placemt victoriaan easy walkdouble bedstayed here for two nightscourtenay placete papa museumaccommodationheater
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked my accommodation in Wellington and it was great value, clean and so near to town. I really enjoyed my stay, Everything was great. John was a wonderful Host and made you feel so Welcome. The view over Wellington was great as well. Breakfast you had so many choices actually you were wondering just what to have as there was far more to choose from than you would have in your own home. Parking no problem. A really good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Having not stayed at The Richmond for a while it was so nice to be back in Wellington and staying in a clean and tidy, homely B & B. You can tell people feel relaxed and at home by the vibe of the other guests staying there. Such an easy stroll into town that we didn't once move the car. A hassle free and excellent way to spend the weekend. Cheers John!

Room Tip: Not sure about the others but Room 4 was a nice size, clean and warm.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Firstly, when I booked by phone and asked a couple of questions, John kept saying "you obviously haven’t travelled very much!" which was a bit rude given he hadn’t met me yet. Despite this I booked 4 nights.

On the first morning I was making a cup of tea with my own teabag and John demanded I move my stuff which was a cup. Later at breakfast I asked if I could boil an egg (which I brought myself as I can’t eat cereals) to which I was rudely told no, despite the kitchen being used by another guest the night before - John said this was due to insurance - he declined to boil a pan for me. I didn't attend breakfast after that.

John was constantly making snide personal comments that were actually quite rude, such as talking of our ‘intellectual capabilities’ when parking. There were many mixed messages regarding being in the kitchen, using the crockery, etc.

It’s disappointing John is like this as the actual accommodation is great despite the porcelain - very clean, tidy, good bed and shower, great location. John doesn't make you feel very relaxed and I suspect he is a misogynist.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 as it is under the dining room/kitchen and you can hear john pacing back and forth setting up breakfast.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank michelle c
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Richmond Guest House several times over the last two years - most recently in April. It is absolutely the best deal around and having breakfast included in the price is a real bonus (and is served just like at your favourite Nana’s with a glass of juice and choice of cereals followed by little bowls of different jams and butter accompanied by fresh hot toast presented with a flourish in delightful old fashioned toast racks). It has a great location being close to the airport and within easy walking distance to Wellington Hospital, Victoria University and the city. As a postgraduate student at Victoria Uni, it is ideally situated. Having my own room and bathroom is fabulous when I need to get on with study in the evenings without interruptions. However the TV lounge with the daily newspaper is available when I need a break. Access to the kitchen to cook my evening meal is a bonus, although there are also some fab cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance (the Thai restaurant, Phuthai Esarn, just a brisk 3 minute walk away at 35 Cambridge Terrace is my favourite). I feel very safe there as John is always around and quick to manage any over-tired and emotional visitors or guests. John is also great for a chat and very welcoming and accommodating - he doesn't hesitate to assist with my bags, phone for taxis or shuttles, or provide directions or advice. See you there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Convenient location - walk or bus to city center.. Helpful manager, clean comfortable room, plenty of hot water, quiet, adequate breakfast, tea and coffee available any time, nice lounge with view.
Also close to the airport.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo