“OK if you don't expect too much” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Guest House

Richmond Guest House
Ranked #22 of 54 Wellington B&B and Inns
Newport, Oregon
“OK if you don't expect too much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've given a lot of thought of how to review my stay here, trying to be fair, but it was such a mixed bag of experiences, perhaps I ought to just relate my experience.

I had to change my itinerary twice, and John, the owner, quite graciously changed my booking both times. He helped with my bags when I arrived, and moved them himself the next night as I had to change rooms due to the change in booking. The rooms are nice - kind of antiquey and quirky, but I like that sort of thing and felt right at home as to the surroundings.

Alas, that is really the only good things I have to say about my stay. John began our acquaintance by telling me a long, drawn-out story about how he got cheated by UPS shipping him some of the ceramics he collects. Even though some Americans in Chicago helped him to get reimbursed, the point of his whole story was how awful Americans are. I had a bad fall in the middle of the night due to there being a step between the bedroom and the bathroom, which injured my back and my knees, but when I told him of it the next morning, his response was, "You know what I think? I think Americans just aren't like other people." I still don't know what he meant by that.

Later, I asked him for some ice to put on my back injury, and his response was to complain, "Only Americans use ice, and they never fill up the trays."

The same day, I also developed food poisoning so bad that I had to go to Urgent Care. John called me a cab, but that was all the concern he showed for me. A complete stranger, another guest at the House, offered to accompany me to the clinic and stayed with me and saw me back to the House.

What few times I was able to go to breakfast (I was throwing up for 3 days of the 6 I was there), John would be jeering at some other guest behind their back, often for quite ridiculous reasons, such as leaving for the Ferry too early. He also never failed to mention what nationality the person he was ridiculing was, as though that matters. Altogether I found him to be a very unkind person, quite lacking in sympathy.

I think he prides himself on giving 'good service', and as far as the accommodation goes he does. Just don't expect anything else.

Oh, yeah, breakfast consisted of toast, tea, juice and cereal. No fruit, no dairy, no protein of any kind except for jars of peanut butter.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 6, it's the one with the step that's too easy to trip over in the dar...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank khalleron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

There is a lot written about Richmond Guest House and you have to know what you're going to get otherwise you might be disappointed. You get basic but clean and maintained accomodation. My friend and I had the two rooms upstairs in the "annexe" - very quiet and private. Breakfast pretty simple but included in price. John, the host, has his own particular sense of humour and is not the most patient of people - once you work that out you'll get on fine and have a great stay - he's very helpful. We found the Hop Garden bar/restaurant just round the corner on Petrie Street to be excellent if you don't want to walk into twon.

Room Tip: With two of us wanting single rooms each we had 12 and 14. Single front door and then two separate...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great place to stay to unwind and relax. Very clean and close to town. A home away from home. I look forward to going there, whether picing my son up from Varsity or dropping him off. Cheerfull and helpful host.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great budget B&B - friendly, clean, homely, simple breakfast, free wifi internet and newspaper, tea/coffee in sunny communal dining room, TV in communal lounge.
Great location - quiet, 15 mins walk to Courtney place (city life, airport bus, supermarket), 3 min walk to regular bus stop to city or Miramar (Airport bus might even drop you there if you ask).
No TV in the rooms, tidy but not modern decor, personal. If you want anonymous independence in a self-contained room, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms 14 and 15 are upstairs and not attached (so possibly quieter). 14 faces the street (some traff...
1 Thank Michael K
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Courtney Place only 15 mins walk away from here. On the edge of city life. Accommodation is excellent. Room was clean. Good place to meet other travellers, as can mix with other guests in dining room. Supermarket 15 mins walk away. No. 2 bus to town, 5 mins walk. Bus to Mirimar 10 mins walk from here. Airport bus (no 91) 15 mins walk away. John was an excellent host, will book in here again. David

Trondheim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just traveled onward after a two night stay at Richmond Guest House.We had room 4 which was a small, clean room with a double bed, large mirror( that my girlfriend loved for make up) and en suite bathroom. I think it was a good budget B&B, we paid only 85 NZD per night which included free internet (2x 100 MB), newspaper and a small breakfast.

Bear in mind though that this is more of a home than a hotel, the style is personal, there are no TV in the room and daily room cleaning are limited to a new towel. John, the owner and manager, is a good hearted and interesting character who likes to talk to his guests.

If you want a less personal style with TV in the room and room service, go for a hotel like Ibis. But if you prefer more of a home away from home, this is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This B & B is in an old building run by John, who is an older chap. The place is done to his taste - maybe a bit old fashioned for some. I'd say it was homely. We paid $85 a night including breakfast in a double en-suite room.

The room was spacious, a heater and hairdryer was provided. The bed was comfortable and we slept well even though we were in the room right next to the kitchen. The shower was good - although the first morning there was a fault with the water heater so I ended up having a cold shower.

Close enough to the city to walk, parking outside. Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple