“A bit kitsch, but cheap and more than adequate”

Richmond Guest House
Ranked #24 of 45 Wellington B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This B & B is in an old building run by John, who is an older chap. The place is done to his taste - maybe a bit old fashioned for some. I'd say it was homely. We paid $85 a night including breakfast in a double en-suite room.

The room was spacious, a heater and hairdryer was provided. The bed was comfortable and we slept well even though we were in the room right next to the kitchen. The shower was good - although the first morning there was a fault with the water heater so I ended up having a cold shower.

Close enough to the city to walk, parking outside. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just started my holiday in Wellington, and was really happy I chose the Richmond Guest House as an accommodation.The location is very good - in just 10 minutes walk you are in the city centre - and quiet though. I enjoyed the free wifi, breakfast and friendly roomservice, for under a hundred dollars such a good value! John, the manager, told me much about the buildings history and how he built it after a fire destroyed most of it. He has done good work, that's why I loaded up some pictures of the ceilings and the doors - beautiful in detail! That guy is really impressing, and I don't understand people who say bad about him. When I come back to Wellington, I'll come back to Richmond - my home in the capital!:)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The only good thing about this motel is the location. The facilities are run down, smelly and antiquated. The bed I was I tipped me out so I had to sleep across the bed, Internet dodgy at best. The owner is a rude ignorant man who has no idea how to treat his paying clientelle. He obviously agreed as he gave me a refund when I complained the way he spoke to me.

Would never recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank kiwigreekscorpion
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Most importantly, I was able to sleep very well (being a tall guy), in a nice though somewhat basic room, without TV. John was very kind and helpful and the free wireless was also great. It looks indeed a bit run-down, but rooms are clean and OK and great hospitality is far more important. Great value for money and a good location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

John is a lovely fellow. Some of the people who wrote some of the earlier reviews are clearly oversensitive and immature and should be ashamed of themselves. I did not have a basement room, and so cannot comment on reviews in respect of these. But my ground level room was very satisfactory. If I ever need to stay in Wellington again it will be a no brainer, I will stay at the Richmond.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Richmond Guest House is fairly basic, but if you choose it for its location and price, you won’t be disappointed. Although the exterior is a bit run down in spots, the rooms are freshly painted and clean, and furnished with comfortable beds and ample storage, in drawers and a wardrobe. Don’t expect chairs, heated towel rails, or a TV or phone in your room (there is a lounge with a TV). Daily room service was limited to fresh towels. Breakfast of juice, choice of cereal, toast and tea or coffee was simple but adequate. John, our somewhat quirky but very helpful host, enjoyed talking to the guests at breakfast, and has a fund of stories, and a nice sense of humour. There is free wireless Internet, provided using Zenbu (you have to get login codes from John). The electric heater in our room was adequate when the overnight temperature fell to 5 or 6 C. We would definitely stay at the Richmond Guest House again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting New Zealand over the past two weeks. We searched for hotels for months before deciding on the Richmond Guest House. The bed and breakfast is conveniently located near the heart of Wellington, and we were able to walk almost anywhere we wanted to go within the city.

John, our host, is someone that is not only warm and inviting, but has a great sense of humor and a soft side (don't tell him I said that!). Upon arrival he helped us with a map of the town and directions to wherever we needed to go. He called us cabs when necessary, and even helped me to try and track down my lost cell phone. We left for two days, and were able to leave our bags at no cost. When we arrived back, he had already placed our bags in our new room and wanted to know all about our trip. When we got back to his place we said, "we're home", and felt that we really were.

I also received a lovely follow up email from him making sure we had made it back to the US safely and to thank us for our patronage. I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone visiting. Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends