“Bit rundown, but improving!”
Review of Lodge in the City

Lodge in the City
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was almost put off staying here by the bad reviews but I am so glad I stayed here! The staff were really helpful and friendly, always going the extra mile :) You can tell that the new managers are doing awesome things there too. Lots of reno work and upgrades, which were desperately needed! Good work guys. I would definitely stay here again and I can't wait to see how different the place will be next time I come to Wellington.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank blueyberi

Reviewed May 18, 2010

We arrived in Wellington late evening and this was the only place left with rooms available - and we soon found out why. The place was filthy and full of strange looking locals who seemed to be staying there long term. The room was similar to a 1970's bedsit and had a funny musty smell about it. The bathrooms were dirty and the kitchen was a disgrace. I don't think the kitchen had been cleaned since the place opened. At night the noise from the residents was horrendous and as it was on a main road, the party animals outside were shouting, screaming,roaring and generally being idiots up until dawn. The room next door woke us up at 4am with loud heavy metal music and there was no staff/security to put a stop to it. Wellington seemed like such a nice city however this place put a big downer of our experience. If other travellers have the choice to stay in Lodge in the City or an industrial bin. I'd reccommend the bin - it'd be cleaner and quieter.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BarryMip
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Lodge in the City is in a rundown building. The bathroom facitilites are very old, and the rooms are just alright. The staff we dealt with seemed nice but not super helpful. They have a lot of long-term renters, and there are a lot of people coming and going. I wouldn't leave anything of value in the rooms... I just didn't trust the place. We were looking for a deal since we had an upcoming three-month long trip, so we booked this place. It served it's purpose.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Me and my friends stayed here earlier this month for my birthday. Was so handy to all the nightclubs just a quick walk down the road and we were in bed after a night out. The $15 bunks are pretty good value was the cheapest I found in Wellington after calling around. The staff were awsome! Not as bad as its made out to be really I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I got a single room was paying $245 a week they advertise it at $165 it was a small room dirty gross place over charging and did not even give me my bond back because i returned my card an hour late disprite the fact I had moved out of room 9.30AM
The staff are useless some of them are just out of jail no jokes. yes the roof is leaking you will walk through the halls and feel sick from the smell
Would not ever stay here again

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Do NOT stay here. We only stayed here because it was the only hostle in town that still had rooms available....now we know why.
The room stunk, we didnt get to sleep, the hallways stunk like pot, there were kids outside at allll hours of the night and when we woke up at 8am, they were still partying.
This was my memory of Wellington and so it was a bad one.

The only good thing about it...was it was cheap.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stirken
Reviewed February 6, 2010

just recently stayed here (2010) and were very appalled by the cleaning standards!! in this accommodation cant belive this is open to the public!.
The lightshade was covered in dust not just a little, but thick as! there was mould in the corner of the room on the wall and floor! also a lot of stains on the carpet. I know that this is a hostel but still should be clean!, there was water leaking out the hall ceiling just left to fall on the rotting carpet also not to mention the smell that was coming from this! i just cant believe there is places like this in nz the bathrooms were dirty with hardened soap scum on the dish not to mention that men also used the ladies bathrooms! that is were they have their washing machines, at $70.00 per night i mean come on is this a joke do you even check the cleaning jobs done??? as i work in accomodation this was tremendously terible!! DO NOT STAY HERE our door broke and we had to fix this ourselfs this place should be shut down! the place is falling down anyway, with seedy men running this place not to mention that seedy people are living there too. Be so careful not recomended for anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple