The Halswell Lodge
  • Fitness center
  • Room Service
Marksman Motor Inn(Wellington)
View Hotel
All reviewscourtney placete papabasic accommodationa queen size bedbedroom unitstay there againlock boxshared kitchenbudget hotelmini fridgebrilliant locationhappily stay againsmall bathroombeds were comfortablebars and restaurantsnew world supermarketcouple of nights
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Ok for the price you pay. Location is more an advantage- smack in the heart of city. Staff is nice and helpful. Not exactly suitable if you travelling with family or travelers who are expecting more from accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Fred W, Front Office Manager at The Halswell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Hi Ritesh. Glad your stay here was ok. We hope to turn that ok into great! Next time you stay, if in a bigger group, you may want to try out our 4 star Motel units.
Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

The Halswell lodge is a older place which I have stayed in Previous years. But the last time we had problems with parking and the booking system they use.We booked over the net and gave our credit card to confirm the booking which was ok'ed the night before. When we arrived the reception person told us they had double booked and there was no rooms left and his boss had tried to get hold of us. We were traveling on Motorcycles so you can't answer the phone.
But the wost part is that there was no offer to find other accommodation at all, so I will not return to there hotel due to the lack of help.

Room Tip: At the back in the motels
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Apparently there are two sets of accommodations here, one for budget travelers one for standard travelers, having said that, we still paid close to $100/night for a budget room (which I didn't know at the time when booked), and which was the worst night of my life.

The twin room was smaller than a high school twin shared dome, for that price I'd rather pay a little extra to get a standard motel room. The reception is not always manned, our next door was partying with loud music until 2am in the morning, tried to contact the reception since 11pm, but no one's there anymore, so I had to knock on the next room to ask them to stop, but even though, they continued on with loud laughter and chatting, you could hear everything through the thin wall and door.

4am, I heard everything from a love making couple upstairs, it's the last thing I needed by then after a 4 hours sleepless bed time.

If you ever consider this place, make sure you know what you are booking into.

Lastly, I must say, the receptionist (I'm not sure if he's the owner), he's a great man, warm and welcome, only wish he had better amenity to manage. With this great attitude, it doesn't match to the type of accommodation the place is running for. But at least I could remember something good about this place, sorry I can't give a better score for what it's worth.

Room Tip: Do not get a budget room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My room was very small, surprisingly small in fact. The windows were at street level and neither shut properly so I was concerned about leaving valuables in the room. The bed was comfortable enough. Shower a strong point, better pressure than most hotels. The bathroom wasn't clean, there was a mess in the sink when I arrived. The TV was meant to have a number of channels but only 3 worked. Reception staff were friendly enough. The location is great. Significant noise throughout the night and particularly in the morning.
I'd recommend this to budget travelers who are relaxed about security and cleanliness. But it should be noted that for an extra $20 per night you'll get a much better room in a larger hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the lodge. I didn't stay there but the rooms look to be larger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Accommodation is quirky, spa bath lovely. Our window didn't shut fully & with access via the roof to our room we didn't feel it safe to leave our valuables, since we only stayed overnight didn't feel to make a complaint. Bed comfortable. Warning the bedside lamp is touch sensitive not possessed! The historic decor gave a spooky vibe although too many horror films maybe to blame!
Not impressed with parking, first come first serve basis but not enough spaces for everyone.
Reception polite. Location is central, walking (2 mins) to shopping, cinema, bars and more shopping :)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple