“Good clean room in a good location”
Review of West Plaza Hotel

West Plaza Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Nelson, New Zealand
“Good clean room in a good location”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at the West Plaza for four nights. The hotel is located across from an Information site which can arrange tours of the city and other attractions. Cuba Street and waterfront is an easy walk.

We had a good first impression upon entering the hotel lobby as it was bright and fairly modern. Check-in was efficient and the staff was helpful.

Our room was a corner room on the third floor (room 327). The room was clean and tidy. The furniture was not fancy, but it was comfortable and clean. A major benefit of the room was the bright sunshine in the morning and afternoon as there were windows on two sides of the room (although the thick curtains kept the room quite dark in the morning until you were ready to let the sunshine in).

There is a backpacker accommodation and bar adjacent to the hotel and there were a few nights where the noise from the not too courteous patrons of those establishments made their presence known to us when we were trying to sleep. The fan from the wall heater produced just enough white noise to drown out the clatter.

The hallways to the rooms are a bit dreary and there are a couple doors to pass through after you get off the lift, but it is really not that bad. The mini-bar, although expensive, is no different than any other mini-bar at any other hotel.

There is a restaurant in the hotel, but we never ate there as there are so many food choices in the area.

We would go back to the West Plaza and would rate it 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room looking onto Wakefield Street as there are windows on two sides of the room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike & Terri
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Thanks for the detailed comments we appreciate your feedback as it helps other guests to choose our hotel. We hope to see you back in Wellington.

Julie Wilcock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Nice hotel, room smelt a little of smoke, good location if going to shows etc. I would stay here again depending of course on what specials available on other hotels.

• Stayed September 2011
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
We appreciate your feedback – thanks for taking the time to leave your comments – Julie Wilcock GM
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed August 12, 2011

For our annual work conference this year I was lodged at the West Plaza Hotel. I was greeted by a lovely receptionist who placed my bags in their baggage area as our conference starts well before their check in time.

When I did check in I was met by the same receptionist who offered assistance with my bags to my room. I declined as I didn't have much. However, I would suggest if you have a large family you take up this offer as the corridors have multiple doors along them and could be difficult with children and/or a lot of baggage.

My room (406) was clean and tidy. The shelving in the bathroom needs repainting but apart from that all was in good condition. I shared my room with another employee however only one bed was made up and the spare looked more like a couch than a bed. It would have been nice for this to be made up ready for use as well.

The prices for items in the mini bar are extortionate. You are better off walking to New World Metro on Willis St or Starmart on Manners St, both not far away, than take something from here. For example a Whitakers chocolate bar the usual retails at just over $1 was $5. Bottled water was a similar price.

Not long after I was in my room I heard what I thought was knocking at my door. After a brief investigation it appears that every time the corridor door beside my room was opened it would cause the room's door to rattle. This became an issue not only for the noise at night as people passed down the hall but I couldn't tell if someone was a my door, resulting in me missing fellow employees trying to see me.

The linen provided in the bathrooms seemed to vary between rooms. When I visited another employee in their room they had two bath towels and two hand towels. However in my room there was two bath towels but only a bath mat. I'm unsure of the reason for this but one would assume each room would be the same.

After our conference had finished I returned to my room for rest. Noise from traffic, people returning to their rooms and that from the room beside mine was excessive. Though I know my following suggestion is difficult and costly I would suggest better sound proofing by renewing the insulation in the walls and possibly placing a vent in the hallways to allow air to escape, prevent the doors from rattling. My room was not located at the front of the hotel near a busy road nor did it back onto Lombard carpark to the back of the hotel so I did not expect to hear traffic so clearly. Needless to say I had little sleep.

The next morning I was met by a friendly staff member by the breakfast area. There was a reasonably selection for breakfast and the staff did as well as they could replenishing items with the large influx of people they had dining.

The hotel is located perfectly between Cuba & Courtenay Sts (great for entertainment and food) and Lambton Quay (great for shopping) so is an ideal location for those visiting Wellington for pleasure. Although the noise level at night was too much for me to recommend someone to stay here hence the poor rating. There are better hotels in Wellington for a similar price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank billytheblacksmith
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
Thanks for your comments that were made recently. We appreciate your feedback as without it we would not be able to improve our offering. We will address the issues you have raised with Housekeeping. Regards Julie Wilcock General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I wanted a reasonably priced hotel in a central location for a weekend away. West Plaza fitted the bill nicely. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed. Staff were efficient and friendly and the location is easy walking distance to restaurants, shopping theatres and other entertainment. The bed was also comfy and all in all we had no complaints. Parking was a chargeable extra, as were news papers at weekend, however one night included a complimentary breakfast which was nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review. It is always great to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Thanks again Julie Wilcock GM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 2, 2011

As a regular visitor to Wellington I have tried most of the mid-range business hotels. Other T/A reviews have kept me away from here. However like most Cantabrians high rise hotels now make me a tad anxious so untill now I have avoided the West Plaza untill now. I have stayed there twice over the last few months and I quite like it.

The first room I had seemed recently decorated. I had asked for a quiet room and it was at the back and very quiet. It was clean, well apointed and airy with a modern bathroom. (the shower curtain was "spotless". The carpet looked in need of attention.

The next room was at the front. It was just as quiet when windows were shut. It appeared to have new carpet. Once again it was clean, tidy and had a comfortable bed. The rooms are dark at night so a great sleep.

They had quite an accomplished pianoist in the lobby by the bar and dining room in the evening that gave the place an air of elegance. I never tried dinner there (but colleagues did and enjoyed it) as there is a swag of trendy Wellington cafes within a stones throw. It is particarly well located. It is close enough to Courtney Place's party zone to walk in 5 minutes, but far enough for none of the noise. Equally it is close to shops, the Michael fowler Centre and Te Papa .

The staff were particuarly helpful and efficient. I will stay there again and thorougly recomend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thanks for the positive review it’s always great to hear when guest have enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again at the West Plaza Hotel, Wellington. Julie Wilcock GM
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Just spent 3 nights at the West Plaza Hotel in Wellington. It is central to most of the attractions in Wellington including Te Papa and the restaurants of Cuba St. Also it is only a few minutes walk to Lambton Harbour. The room is of an average size with the usual amenities and the room is serviced on a daily basis. The interior of the hotel could do with a make over but that point is of little consequence. A well priced hotel in the middle of Wellington

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thanks for the great comments we are pleased you enjoyed your time in our "Coolest Little Capital " Wellington NZ . We hope to see you again Julie Wilcock GM :)
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The West Plaza is an great place to stay in the heart of Wellington. The staff are friendly, the prices are reasonable, and it is a short walk to most places in the CBD. The rooms are a little bit dated, but overall it is still good value.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business