“for some reason I loved this hotel, best location for it's price!”
Review of ibis Wellington

ibis Wellington
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Just loved to be in this hotel, fantastic location, clean, safe, near te Papa museun, wellington cable car, botanical gardem, and a few wonderfull pubs, even if you are willing to pay more for a hotel, recomend you to give this Ibis a try! very easy to came from airport by bus!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

rafy_ctba,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, we love that you loved our hotel! Thank you for pointing out the supreme location the hotel is in and I am glad that you were able to take advantage of this for what seems like a busy but great trip away in Wellington. Thank you also for mentioning the Airport Flyer bus, this is an express bus service that runs from Wellington International Airport to the centre of Wellington every 15 minutes, every day and I am glad you were able to take advantage of it. It stops on Lambton Quay which is around 2 minutes walk from the hotel and for anyone who requires fare information please contact the hotel directly.

Nathan Frost

Write a ReviewReviews (2,236)

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed twice at the Ibis and the visits could not have been any more different. The first visit was great. We were able to get a parking spot at the hotel, the room was clean and the heater worked.

However on the second visit, there was no parking available which meant we had to find a spot on the street. Unfortunately it was four blocks away-a long way to lug luggage. When we got into the room, it looked like it had not been vacuumed in quite awhile.

And finally after a night out, we returned to the room to find the heater was not working. Because it was late, we just dealt with it. When I mentioned the problems with the room the next morning at checkout, there was no apology, just a “we will look into it”.

So if you are going to stay at the Ibis, try to secure a parking spot. And check the room carefully because they are some good and bad ones.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2010

errantmd,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, I am sorry that some aspects of your stay have not lived up to previous expectations. Car parking does need to be booked at the hotel as we have limited spaces and we do make this known via our own website as well as some third party websites. Car parking over the weekend on the street is free at certain times we do have an affiliation with a car park building in the next street and I am sorry if you were not made aware of this. Thank you also for your comments regarding the vacuuming of your room, I will pass on your comments to my Executive Housekeeper to follow up with her team and I apologise on behalf of the hotel for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed September 30, 2010

Stayed there over the last two days and won't ever again. A newly refurbished room with a terrible bed, king size = two single mattresses that have wire around the edge! Cheap pillows. UHT milk (blerk), white sugar, no plunger coffee or biscuits or newspaper. Smokers congregate in the entrance way and its a really bad look. Foyer is crammed and you go down an alley to the lift. Great location. Room was clean, quiet but basic and you can't forgive a bad bed. Sheet for a bed cover. Breakfast pretty basic, still no decent coffee, it's out of a push button machine. Other guests we spoke to felt the same and had read only positive reviews which like us encourage us all to stay there. Do you delete the negative reviews? At $199 per night we really expected more.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

chakendick,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington and I am sorry that you found the bed in your room to be uncomfortable. The rooms were refurbished in 2009 and all beds and mattresses were replaced. The room that you would have stayed in would have had a bed called a King Zip. It is a common bed type in hotels as it allows a Super King bed to be created that zips up the middle. If guests wish to have two beds in the room then the mattress is unzipped and the bases disconnected from each other. These beds are designed to be either a King bed or a King single bed and I am sorry if this bed did not meet your expectations.

With regards to your comments about amenities in the room, we are a 3.5 star hotel and do not provide certain services at the hotel such as plunger coffee in the rooms, biscuits or newspapers. We do however have all of these available for purchase at reception should you require them. We do have an instant coffee machine in the restaurant that is included in the price for breakfast, however if a freshly made coffee is required, again we have these available for purchase from the restaurant.

With regards to reviews being deleted on Tripadvisor, I can assure you that I nor anyone in the world has access to what anyone writes on Tripadvisor except for Tripadvisor. I am sorry that you felt that you did not receive value for money during your recent stay with us. Should you require these services for you future bookings in Wellington then I can recommend our 4 star Novotel Hotel who does provide most of these.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed here overnight on our honeymoon. The room was very basic (like a Travelodge/Premier Inn) and a bit tired but was clean and warm. There was a nice bar/restaurant downstairs with very friendly staff. The hotel was very close to the tram and a short walk to the city centre. A good place to stay if you're looking for a no frills hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

gymsusie3,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and congratulations on your marriage! I am sorry that you found the rooms tired, all rooms were refurbished in 2009 and everything in the room is new however I will take your comments on board. Thank you also for letting me know about the service that was provided to you by my staff, I will certainly pass them onto the team.

Reviewed September 13, 2010

If you are looking for a cheap hotel that is still comfortable and clean, the Ibis is a good option. 5 minute walk from the Cuba Street area and Te Papa museum. Close to the tram and shops. Short taxi ride from the ferry.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

maddiefly,

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the close proximity of the hotel to all attractions in Wellington. We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for the week on business in central Wellington. The location was certainly quite handy and surprisingly quiet at night. The room although small was definitely tidy, modern and for the most part clean (the water/spill mark on the mug tray for example remained uncleaned the entire time). However a bunch of issues eventually amounted to a less than perfect experience even for a 3 star hotel (I would say 3.5 given that its quite modern). On the first night I realised the temperature of the shower kept fluctuating, it goes hotter one sec and cooler the next. While this was bearable, it was just very annoying. I called the reception, they were helpful and I was told it will be fixed the next day. It never was but I never called back. The next evening I realised my desk lamp was broken and had to call again to have it replaced. Also one day my shower mat was taken away and not replaced until 2 days later.

While the hotel had a full restaurant and bar, there was no room service and you will have to go down stairs yourself to collect the meal. It seems a little silly to have to carry your full priced main back up in a tin can. It was quite a surprise to see $7 fries served with Aioli from a packet instead of being made in-house.

You could argue that I’m being a little pedantic about all these things. But when you have a bad couple of days and feel you have to call reception so many times, it is just a bit frustrating.

The hotel also lacks a business centre and printing facilities. I suppose this is not a business hotel and hence will not be an inconvenience for most guests. I just feel that this can be something that will be handy to have for guests (ie printing out onward bookings, tickets, boarding passes etc, especially since so many things are electronic now).

To be honest if any of these things didn’t happen to you it will still be a good place to stay ultimately if you can get a good deal on your reservations.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Dynamac,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I am disappointed that the room cleanliness has not met our usual standards and you are correct in that a stain on a tray and a bath mat not being replaced is unacceptable. I will be passing on your comments to my Executive Housekeeper who will follow up with her team and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay. I am also sorry that there was an issue with the shower in your room, can you please contact me at Nathan.frost@accor.com and tell me your room number and I will have my Chief Engineer investigate. Thank you for your comments regarding room service at the hotel, it is an Ibis brand standard that we do not provide room service and in its place offer Grab it and Go which is similar to a takeaway option. We serve our meals in Tiffin containers to ensure that the meal stays hot and is easy for our guests to carry the meal up to their rooms as you would with normal takeaway.

We unfortunately do not have a business centre at the hotel however in the future should you require any assistance with having things printed, please let my reception team know and they will be happy to assist.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel is affordable and well-located if you have some business in Wellington CBD. The rooms quite comfortable and spacious enough for two double beds. However, there is no view and the windows do not open, so you have to rely on the aircon system for fresh air. During our stay, there was a power outage on one day, which made staying in the room impossible, as it heated up quickly. We had to leave the hotel to breathe some fresh air. As with many hotels in NZ, the charges for Internet access are absolutely outrageous.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

awesomniac,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Ibis Wellington, I am pleased that you found the rooms to be spacious and comfortable. The hotel is in the middle of the city and rooms face either the light well at the back of the building or Featherston Street, so you are correct in that there is no view as such of the harbour or local scenery. Our rooms do not have opening windows but they do have hush glass installed which is a type of double glazing and blocks out any city or traffic noise. Thank you for your comments regarding the internet pricing at the hotel, unfortunately this pricing is not dictated by the hotel but by the service provider. We do have 15 minutes worth of free wireless internet access available per day in the lobby and affordable 2 hour or 24 hour plans and I am sorry if none of these plans met your requirements.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.