“Amazing value for money!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of ibis Wellington

ibis Wellington
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Melbourne
“Amazing value for money!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

We paid only NZD$100 per night to stay at this modern hotel! We spent more at dinner at the Belgian beer café up the road.

If you are a tourist, then the shops start one block away, and cuba mall is a good 5 min walk.

Good staff, and exceptional value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this review, March 18, 2010
groundrush,

I am glad that you found the hotel to be exceptional value for money and enjoyed the service that was provided by my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights with tour party. Very central location – convenient for sightseeing. Spacious room with 2 large beds. Good shower; decent breakfast; helpful staff. Only complaint was that I was unable to access the internet because they had run out of tokens!

• Stayed February 2010
Mandy46,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, I am glad that you found the room spacious and enjoyed our breakfast. I am sorry about the issue with the tokens for the internet, this was a supplier issue and I have passed your comments onto them and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed at the Ibis for the first time last year. Soon after checking in I requested a change to a brighter room on a higher floor. To my great satisfaction, this was immediately done for me.

When I returned in Janauary, I was delighted to find I had been reserved a great (very clean, well appointed) room on the top floor, with a complimentary bottle of wine, and letter from the manager. Outstanding service, far above most places in NZ!!!

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
IbisWellington, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
takapunalegend,

I am glad that we were able to rectify a problem and turn it into a highlight of your stay with us. We look forward to you returning to the property again in the future and do not hesitate to ask on check in for a room on the 9th floor as they are a little larger than rooms on other floors.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

Spent 4 nights at the Ibis while attending a conference in Wellington. GREAT LOCATION, right next door to the Intercontinental. Probably paid one forth the cost. Rooms were REALLY small - this was OK....but w/ 2 people, it became a bit clostrophobic....they really took advantage of flat screen TV's to make the rooms a meter narrower by mounting it on the wall! It was clean when we checked in, but the bathroom floors were never mopped although towels were changed daily, sheets were not. For a quick, business stay, it was great. For a romantic holiday or extended stay I would find another place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
PinotSeller,

Thank you for your comments, based on your name and dates you stayed I can assume that you were in Wellington for the highly successful Pinot Conference, I hope that it went well for you. Thank you also for your comments regarding the size of the room, without knowing what room you were in, I can only assume that you may have been in one of our rooms with a Queen bed that are a little bit smaller than our King Rooms or rooms with two Double beds. I will pass your comments regarding the bathroom cleaning onto my Executive Housekeeper to follow up and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you during your stay.

Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Booked via online prepay special on their website to get the lowest rate.
Nice, helpful front desk staff. The hotel kept a bag for me overnight before my stay while I was on an island trip.
The room (one bed) was small with limited desk space, plastic chair, shower stall, etc. The room had an odd odor the entire 6 days--like a pet had been in the room. But the odor when away with the competent air conditioning--cannot open window. 7th floor facing street no street noise.
Sheets were not changed in 6 nights, so ask if you want clean linens.
Elevator stopped, then restarted one day and staff seemed to take genuine interest.
Clothes washer and dryer worked well, but heat control on 1 dryer broken.
It is interesting to read the manager's comment below about 15 minutes free internet--I asked the desk staff about internet access and was told the price in my room ($10 for 2-hours continuous access or daily rate in room, higher for their computers in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Metwo3,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, I am disappointed that our service has not been up to scratch and I will be passing your comments onto my Management team to follow up. I can assure you that we do not allow pets in the room and if there was an odour in your room, can you please send me a message and let me know what room you were in and I will investigate. We do change the sheets in a room daily when a guest checks out and every 3 days for a guest who is staying more than 3 nights, if this has not occurred during your stay than this is not our usual standard and again if you tell me the room number you stayed in I can follow up with the staff member concerned. Thank you for letting me know about the dryer, this will be passed onto my Chief Engineer to follow up. I can confirm that we do have 15 minutes worth of free Internet in our lobby areas as well as offering in-room packages. Again, I am sorry that our service during your stay has not met our usual standards and I hope that you will give us a chance in the future to rectify this.

Suffolk UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

Let's get the few minor negatives out of the way first. The first thing you need to know about the Ibis Hotel is that it has been designed for business travellers, not tourists. So in a standard room there isn't a single drawer and the wardrobe is fairly full with an ironing board. So for 2 nights we didn't bother to unpack. The hotel is easy to find, off SH1 at Thorndon/Murphy St. Straight on until the road bends right into Featherstone St (where the hotel is). Straight on and you will see the Ibis on your left. If you have pre-booked your hotel parking (highly recommended but NZD25 per night) turn left immediately after the hotel into Panama St. You will see a metal shutter about 30 yards on your left. Pull in there and use the intercom linked to the hotel reception. Parking on a meter is very expensive. As I mentioned, the rooms are designed for little luggage business travellers. There are laundry facilities at two locations in the hotel and internet facilities in the lobby (around NZD10 for 50 minutes). Breakfast is good and we tried one night in the restaurant for dinner. There are sometimes special offers on pre-booking for an early dinner and I think we paid around NZD35 per head for two courses including filet steak and that also included a good sized glass of highly drinkable wine. The staff are really helpful. The hotel location is fairly central and within walking distance of the Te Papa museum and restaurants around Courtney Place. It might be a bit far too walk if you have young children with you though. All in all the hotel was great value and we would use it again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilliamPayer
WilliamPayer,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation regarding directions to the hotel and to our underground parking. You are correct that if you do need to park at the hotel, it is a necessity that you pre-book as the hotel has very limited spaces. We do recommend to our guests to park on the street or in the local parking stations if our parking area is full, please ask for a map of the parking areas when you check in. You are also correct that we do not have a lot of drawer space in the rooms. Our wardrobe does have shelving and we do have luggage racks in the rooms, however if you are wishing to unpack your bags we do not have the facilities for this. I am glad that you got to experience the restaurant and enjoyed the meal as well as the value for money. I am also pleased that you found the hotel to be in a good location for your needs and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future.

Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

Superb location, nice modern rooms, great breakfast! On top of that: great price! Near to everything (cablecar, financial district, sea, shopping...)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
quattromonti,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the facilities as well as our breakfast offering. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to Ibis Wellington in the future,