“Where's the Care!”

Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Where's the Care!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Ibis in Wellington several times and it has always been adequate and I love the fact it is central to everything. This time however my friend and I arrived late and found we had only 1 wine glass, no hand towels,(they don't do this anymore). Room service is non-existent, you can order but you have to go to the bar to collect your food, drink etc. Still we had a good room this time facing the street and not the centre of the building. The 2nd night I was really disappointed to find they had not made my bed and the mattress cover was all pulled to one side and the bed was just a mess of lumpy mattress cover, so I know it had just been pulled up. The extra glass we had got from the bar the night before had been removed and this time we had only one again. Annoying when you have to ask again and then have to trip down to the bar to collect another glass for the 2nd time. We were disappointed and probably won't stay again, as it seems the cost cutting has gone to far for us. Checking out was a long queue of people with only one person on the desk, although the staff were friendly enough I think they could improve in lots of areas. If I go away for a weekend I don't want to make my own bed or have to constantly leave the room to collect glasses from the bar! Best part of this hotel is it's location!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NathanFrost, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear joyeous,

I am very disappointed that we have not met our usual standard during your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. Just to clarify, ibis hotels are an economy brand and do not provide hand towels. We also do not provide room service and instead offer a take away option that needs to be picked up from the restaurant. This has been the case since the hotel opened and I apologise if this did not meet your expectations. I am however very disappointed that the servicing of your room has not met our usual standard. I agree that it looks like no care has been taken in servicing your room and I will personally be following this up with my Executive Housekeeper and her team. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues raised and prevent future occurrence.

King regards,

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Narbonne, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was just a run of the mill hotel. Not a very good welcome at reception when we arrived and rooms a bit noisy, especially from the room above us The room was well equipped and a good size. The location was worth the stay for a couple of days.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bodilly3,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. I am disappointed that the welcome by my team has not met our usual standard and I will pass on your comments to all staff. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to ibis Wellington again soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of the Ibis seemed ideal: given the relatively compact nature of Wellington city centre and places of interest it was easy to walk everywhere. The hotel was efficient and welcoming, the room smart and good in quality and facilities, though it is a pity many hotel rooms don't include a bath (and also impose a small credit card surcharge). Good value for a quality city hotel. Only minor complaint was the lateness of servicing the room: I guess all hotels deal first with rooms being vacated. Happy to recommend the Ibis.

Room Tip: Despite being on a busy road the upstairs room was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Radix7,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us particularly the location of the hotel and the facilities provided. I am sorry that your room was serviced later on in the afternoon and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to ibis Wellington again soon.

CAMARILLO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We enjoyed everything about the Ibis EXCEPT the inability to control the temperature of our rooms (we had two). We received several "explanations" from the managers including "we don't have air conditioning" and "it's winter so we only heat the rooms". We eventually got our room down to a comfortable temperature (humidity was always high) by bottoming-out the thermostat and leaving the fan on high 24 hours a day for two days (we were here five nights). Unfortunately we let housekeeping in on day four and we somehow lost control of the temp again.

Nice place, nice location, accommodating people but we don't sleep well at 74 degrees and 90% humidity. Other members of our party shared our concerns.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fubar3d,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the air conditioning in your room. We do provide air conditioning in the hotel which is controlled by a chiller which operates on heating or cooling based on outside temperature. It seems that this has not operated correctly during your stay and I have passed your feedback onto my Chief Engineer to rectify. I do apologise that this was not resolved during your stay and we hope to have an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Simple small rooms, but clean and modern. For the price you can't go wrong, but skip the breakfast. It is not worth $17. And the price for internet is a rip off. Just use the free connection in the lobby. That is why the lobby is full.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear DavidF345,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. I am disappointed that you found the breakfast and internet options provided not to be good value for money and I will take your comments on board. We appreciate the feedback and hope to have an opportunity to better serve you again in the future.

Greater Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

While the location of this Hotel is great and convenient for shopping, and the room is large, the King bed was actually two single mattresses put together which made it inconvenient for us to sleep tight.
Further more, the shower cubicle is so tiny and it was a bit of a struggle to have an enjoyable shower.
For the size of the room, a small kitchenette would have added much value and would be much appreciated by customers. The Restaurant was great with great service from all staff and the food is good. Kudos to cleaning staff (in particular - Jo)who have done a meticulous job. Our room, a designated Environment friendly room 905 was really quiet at night.

Room Tip: Rooms on top levels 8 and 9 were quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellerPorirua
NathanFrost, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Travellerporirua,

I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel as well as the Planet 21 room that you were allocated. All king rooms in the hotel contain a specially designed bed for hotels called a King Zip which are two king single mattresses that zip together and I am sorry if this did not meet your expectations. Thank you for letting me know about the service provided by Jo in the restaurant, I will personally pass your comments onto him and we look forward to welcoming you back to ibis Wellington again soon.

Whangaparaoa, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our room proved to be much bigger than we had expected (and experienced in Ibis Hamilton) and was serviced well each day. We ate at the dining room for lunch and dinner on different days, and got in-room snacks late one night. The food was tasty but not amazing.

We did have some neighbours who woke early and seemed to argue (not in English, so I can't tell you what about!) and banged their doors. Generally, though, the noise wasn't bad and we were right next to the lift so I was a little concerned to start with.

The location was fantastic for walking to Te Papa, Cuba St Mall (for restaurants - a nice way to burn off dessert!) and Parliament Buildings. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. My one complaint is that three staff members used the dining room one afternoon to talk loudly about their managers and staff politics - not a good look.

Otherwise, a reasonable price for a clean, tidily-appointed hotel stay.

Room Tip: The front corner room on Level 2 is the largest.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosRobertson
Dear RosRobertson,

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. I am disappointed that a meeting has taken place in the restaurant which has been overheard by yourselves and will pass your comments onto all staff. This is not our usual standard and we hope to have an opportunity to better serve you again in the future.