“Modern, good location, great value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ibis Wellington

ibis Wellington
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Hawaii
“Modern, good location, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Ibis is a clean, modern hotel located in the heart of Wellington. It is just a few blocks away from the cable car, and the major streets are also within easy walking distance. Wellington is a fairly compact city, and it is best to walk as parking can be difficult to find and also costly.

We had a standard room which was a bit small but enough for two people. Wi-fi was also free while in the hotel lobby. Guest laundry facilities were available, which was great for travelers like us on a long road trip. The machines were token operated, with detergent included. If you do have a car, I would recommend paying the extra fee for a parking spot. The hotel has underground parking, but there are only a limited number of spots. I saw this noted in another review, so contacted the hotel ahead of time to book a spot. Without that parking, I’m not sure where else I could have parked our car, as there didn’t seem to be many other options nearby.

Bottom line is the Ibis is an excellent hotel, well located and at a reasonable price. I had considered other Wellington hotels with similar positive reviews but ultimately decided on the Ibis as it was significantly cheaper. In the end, my wife and I were very happy with our stay and felt the Ibis was the best value of all the places we stayed at during our 2-week trip in NZ.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NathanFrost, General Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Travelerfromthe808,

Thank you for your incredibly informative feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. I am pleased that other reviews have enabled you to call ahead and pre-book your car parking as it is limited and street parking is sometimes difficult to find. I am pleased that the hotel met your expectations and provided you with the best value for money during you trip around the country. We appreciate the feedback and hope that we can serve you again on your next trip down under.

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I spent one night here for $109. For that I got a tiny room on level one where it was an obstacle course to squeeze between the bed and the TV in order to reach the paltry tea and coffee making facilities. The bed itself was not overly comfortable but compared to the tiny shower stall it was great. The location is its redeeming factor. If you stay ask for a higher floor to avoid street noise.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear RickM638,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I am sorry that the room has not met your expectations. I have taken your comments on board and in the future, do not hesitate to ask for a room which faces Featherston Street as these are a larger room and provide a better outlook. We appreciate your comments and hope to better serve you again in the future.

AshbydelaZouch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Having stayed in a number of Ibis hotels in Europe, we were pleasantly surprised by the spacious bedroom and shower room.
The hotel is in a central location with the tram and museums within walking distance. Whilst in a central location, we found the hotel to be quiet.
Customer service standards were high - all of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful.
Whilst we didn't have any evening meals in the restaurant, we did sample the breakfast buffet, which we found to be adequate though not memorable.
Overall good value for money

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JWDavies,

Thank you for your informative feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that the hotel has exceeded your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed at this established on a business trip. Service was poor from the minute I walked in the door - room was prepaid, staff insisted I pay again as they had no record, even presenting them with booking information didn't satisfy them. I'll give them credit, they gave me room access and said they'd sort it out the next morning.

The room was nice appointed, however - a dirty bathroom didn't make for the most pleasant of experiences, nor did the shard of glass that went into my foot.

Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear GraemeRussell,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at ibis Wellington. I am sorry that there was a mixup with your booking, I am pleased that my staff were able to resolve it however I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I am also very disapointed that the standard of cleanliness specifically the vacuuming of the floor in your room has not met our usual standard. This is not acceptable and please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend in Wellington, and the location is excellent for all Wellington city attractions. The hotel was extremely quiet and the rooms were comfortable and very clean. Staff were welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear MichelleNZC,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotels location as well as the cleanliness of the rooms and the service provided by my team and we look forward to welcoming you back to ibis Wellington again soon.