“Very pleasant stay...”

CityLife Wellington
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
“Very pleasant stay...”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for seven nights during the lead up to Anzac Day football game. Great service and lovely suite...the only issue perhaps being no opening windows making it a bit stuffy. Yes there was construction work next door but we were warned about it at check in.

Super friendly reception and housekeeping staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Michael E

Thank you for the taking the time to provide your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you found our staff super friendly. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused with the noise and lack of windows in the room that could open.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Wellington.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at City Life Wellington for a few nights on two separate occasions.

We were impressed with our rooms, especially the second time when we were upgraded. The staff were friendly (even though a couple of them were involved in some sort of demarcation dispute) and the hotel is very well located.

The only thing we didn't like was the breakfast selection - it seemed unimpressive.

We'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Scott H

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apology over the incident you witnessed on your stay with us. It is very concerning and does not reflect the high standard of service we strive for. However, I am pleased to hear that you stil found our staff friendly and will choose to stay with us for your next trip to Wellington.

Kind regards,

Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great location, friendly staff. I guess they upgraded us because i only reserved a standard room. But we were given an extra large suite with living room, 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen. No view so I wouldn't want to stay too many nights. We were there just one and it was very quiet and comfortable. Value was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear trippin321

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your upgrade in our spacious Two Bedroom Directors suite.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Wellington.

Kind regards,

Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is the second time I'm staying at Citylife. The first time I stayed there I was woken by 3:30 am in the morning due to construction work just outside the building. It took more than an hour before the noise stopped. As the overall impression was a good one I decided to give it a second try.
Well this time the construction work already started by 11 pm at night. Unfortunately no-one could tell me when it was finished. It seems in Wellington construction work and noise is allowed at any time.
Both times the hotel wasn't in a position to tell the guests upfront what is going to happen during the night.

As a conclusion, for me a good nights rest is important and at Citylife that seems to be hard to get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear 328BKK

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apology over the inconvenience caused with noise you experienced during your recent stays with us. Unfortunately, the work that was being carried out late night/early morning during your stays was illegal (without a council consent). For this reason, we were caught off-guard and were not able to provide further information to our guests. Since this incident, we have lodged complaints with the council and are now working closely with them to minimise any inconvenience to guests at CityLife and nearby hotels.

We are aware of the many buildings surrounding us undergoing seismic strengthening but this work is only carried out during the day.

I appreciate your frustration and disappointment but please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further. We would love to have an oppotunity to welcome you back at CityLife Wellington.

vireshm@heritagehotels.co.nz
Newcastle
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed at the City Life for 3 nights earlier this month and found it to be a good experience. The check in was efficient and the room was a good size. The bathroom was a bit small however and the room was quite hot during the night due to no air conditioning. The hotel is centrally located and 5 minutes walk from a New World Supermarket to assist in self catering. We thought it would be noisy, however even though we were facing the street on the 1st floor, we hardly heard the buses going past. Lots of banks and boutiques close by with easy access to the motorway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear PeterD8

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are in the process of installing air-conditioners in all our rooms and half of the hotel suites are now equipped with one.

I am pleased that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and found the room of good size.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Wellington

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked myself and three colleagues a room each here whilst we were in Brisbane on business. We dealt with a lady in reservations called Casey who was extremely helpful arranging rooms for us. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised to find we had all been upgraded to a 2brm suite. The rooms were well laid out, spacious, modern and clean. Tow of the four rooms also had doors opening onto a balcony area and all rooms had opening windows and air conditioning. We have now made this as our hotel of choice for when we come and stay in Wellington for work.

Room Tip: 2brm suites on level 7 have outdoor areas.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chelle1607

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

It is our culture to celebrate success and receiving positive feedback is an integral part of this process. I have passed on your kind words to Casey who has also be recognised in our recognition program "Your'e Someone Special".

I am pleased to hear that we have now become your hotel of choice on your visits to Wellington. We look foward to hosting you on your next trip.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Recently stayed at Citylife Wellington for 3 nights. Can't complain about much at all and enjoyed my stay.
I am an air conditioning junkie so the lack of an a/c did give me concerns when I was making the booking.But the (discounted) price for a 2 bedroom Director's suite was too good to pass up. I can see that in summer, this would be a big problem but in late April, it was fine.
The rooms were tidy and neat with a couple of heaters and a fan available - we didn't use either. Plus, very importantly, the room had a proper hair dryer (as opposed to the nasty hairdryers you usually get that you can't take away from the bathroom wall and offer the power of a soft evening breeze). Our suite was huge (I was there with my sister) with what appeared to be a fully functional kitchen although we only used the microwave and fridge. My original plans were to use the kitchen for our evening meals but there was so much to do and see in Wellington, in the short time we had, - who had the time to shop and cook? We also had 2 bathrooms which saved a lot of time and some arguments no doubt. There was laundry equipment - but again, we didn't use them in the short time we were there and the weather we experienced.
I also missed an in-house restaurant/cafe option but the hotel has tried to cover this as best they can with links to local places available as room service. We had Chinese one night and pizza another - both good choices. The pizza was ordered after 11pm on Anzac Day (when we got back from the footy) so we appreciated that we could get something at all.
The beds were very comfortable, the lounge & chairs -likewise. Yes the room was a little dark and we didn't have a view (or a balcony - I was stunned to read other reviews that said they had a balcony) but not all hotels can have views and to be fair I don't remember reading anything on the hotel's website that indicated they did.
I've read a review that the tv was tiny - ours was a reasonably good size. Yes - there weren't many channels but for all I know - that's the norm for NZ hotels.
Yes, you paid for wifi -but the price seemed pretty cheap so no complaints there.
The staff were great. Always helpful and obliging and nothing seemed to much for them. We asked for a late check out (we asked on the morning of our departure) and even though they were fully booked that night, they did their best to accommodate us - at no extra charge. Wake up calls were received on time and taxi's arranged promptly and arrived quickly (credit to the taxi company here as well - Corporate).
Would I stay there again - absolutely...... if I got a similar room rate, and didn't need an air conditioner.

Room Tip: We had no view (room 307) but it was quiet (I've read other reviews that say rooms on the street...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joanne1960

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff great. We are in the process of installing air-conditioners in all our rooms with hald of the hotel suites now equipped with one.

We look forward to host you again on your next trip to Wellington