“Handy central location”

Amora Hotel Wellington
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Good views of the waterfront, clean rooms with modern decor, nicely renovated for an older hotel. Reasonably affordable parking in building next door. Good walking distance to Te Papa and restaurants/shopping. Staff were very friendly. Downsides = antiquated Internet system, why isn't there free wifi? Building noise coming from development site across the road, although only during the day.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear GingerKiwi,
It was good to read your comments in relation to our modern and clean rooms, ideal location and high level of service from our staff; it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I have also taken on board your comments in relation to our internet service and noise from the building site. Thanks for taking the time to provide a review, and I hope to welcome you back to the Amora Hotel Wellington in the future.
Liam Craughwell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

As I own a motel myself, staying away is always a bit of fun and a bit of a treat! Amora was everything that we were looking for in terms of location and price. The rooms were really nice - clean and well equipped. The hotel itself is in a brilliant central location. We were in Wellington to attend The Phantom and Amora is just a short 5 minute work to the Theater. We loved that we could walk to Lampton Quay, walk to the water front - there are some really lovely bars/cafes along the water - great places to sit in the sun and read with a cold glass of wine in hand! The staff at check-in were really lovely and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Clare G,
Thank you for providing such an encouraging review, highlighting the cleanliness and decor of your room, the service of our staff and our superb location in the heart of the entertainment district of Wellington. I hope this experience might entice you back for a return visit!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

A single night's stay in this hotel almost made this my new regular work hotel in Wellington. The location is central to everything, with stunning views of the harbour form the rooms on the northern side. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the public areas of the hotel very very spacious. The room was one of the larger non-suite rooms I've stayed in. It is well laid out, and importantly for a business traveller has lots of accessible power points form laptops and chargers.
The bathrooms really do need updating, however.. It was brilliant having a separate shower and a bath, but the fittings need updating as the water flow is highly variable. The marble and brass are 80's opulent, but they are beginning to look a bit tired and patched up, as well as being difficult to keep clean to a hotel standard.
A great choice for those wanting a bit more space in a very handy location.
An update of the bathroom and improved wifi would make this my regular hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear RothesayFamily0630,
I was pleased to read your comments in relation to the fantastic location and stunning views that we enjoy, the spaciousness of our rooms and public areas, and that the service of our staff was of a high standard. I have taken note of your feedback in relation to the bathroom and will consider the points you have raised. I hope we can welcome you back as a regular visitor!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I travel on business so certain things are important! I choose hotels carefully in order to get a good hotel at a reasonable rate. So what I hate is when you check into a hotel and then get expensive internet charges - especially when you're in a city that offers free internet in the CBD! I did end up paying for 2 hours of internet and then I hadn't quite completed what I needed to do on email, but then fortunately found I could connect to a free Wellington CBD service so had a further 30 minutes free of charge! (Wish I'd figured this out in the first place).

The Amora used to be called The Duxton. It seems the hotel has a makeover - but only a partial one. The foyer is great and they have an impressive concierge and many staff on hand to assist. The rooms, whilst not large have been nicely refurbished and most look out over Wellington Harbour which is great. But they didn't do much to the bathrooms other than squirt more sealant between the old marble tiles - so it looks chatty. I had to do many laps of the shower to get wet as the shower head was small and sprayed virtually no water. I know upgrading all the bathrooms in a hotel is a big cost but methinks the hotel will never get great reviews until they do this!

So in spite of the internet and the bathroom, all other aspects of the hotel was fine. It's location is really really good! Just walk for 3 mins and you're in the heart of Wellington's waterfront, downtown, the main restaurant strip or Te Papa museum - depending on which way you walk. This really is the best location in Wellington.

The hotel could be so much better if they spent the money on the bathroom upgrade and offered free internet. Next time, I will stay elsewhere as I think there are better options in terms of value for money based on what the Amora currently offers.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a harbour front room - I think it's most of them that have it anyway!

Dear MIWSing,
Thank you for providing a detailed review of your experience here at the Amora; we always appreciate guest feedback as this helps us to monitor areas of the hotel which may need improvement whilst letting us know where we are doing well. I hope you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Although this is not an expensive hotel - it also is not really inexpensive so there is an expectation of a good standard. The rooms have had a partial refurbishment and are quite nice but there are signs of age. The bathroom tiles were cracked and patched grouting in different color left a jaded image. The gap under the shower glass leaked water across the bathroom bench which did not help. We also had an issue with fee for internet - as always there is no reason for hotels to charge. However service was good and the bed comfortable so it did meet a reasonable standard for the price.

Dear Anwil51,
I appreciate your feedback and will take your comments into consideration. It was good to read that you found your room and bed to be comfortable and the service of our staff met your expectations, and hope that these factors might entice you back for a return visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

So this hotel was cheap. Less than $200 per night with Internet included.
I was out in a disabled room which wasn't too bad but I preferred a proper shower.

Anyway the room was a little dated. So were the lifts and hallways.

Having said that the hotel was one street away from Courtney place where all the restaurants and bars are. Awesome.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear 1MoreTrip,
I have read through your comments and will take these into consideration. It was good to read that you enjoyed our prime location, and I hope you might consider a return visit in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have being last few years, having had significant birthday and dinner there, many stays for business and pleasure. Always great staff. When I came back for my mother's funeral, especially supportive and helpful. Been back again very recently and though staff constantly change the culture of excellent service continues.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear 444norman,
It is lovely to get such support from our regular guests! Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments and we look forward to many more visits from you in the future.