“Great Night Despite The Weather”

Amora Hotel Wellington
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Great Night Despite The Weather”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had a night at The Amora on the 20/06/2013 as we went to Wellington to see the Andy Warhol collection at Te Papa and do some shopping.
From our arrival to our departure we could fault nothing. From the valet parking, to the check-in, the staff in the club room and the dining room, everything was excellent. Sophie, our hostess in the club room, was great, very friendly and helpful.
Our room, on the ninth floor (club room), was well appointed and had everything we needed. The view was terrific, despite the weather. The lifts were prompt and efficient.

Room Tip: As for a room on the upper floors and if you can afford a club room, even better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Julie L,
I was delighted to read your review; it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I will ensure that our staff member Sophie is acknowledged in our Employee Recognition Program. I do hope this experience will entice you back for another stay in the near future.
Liam Craughwell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Masterton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We took a long weekend away from the Wairarapa and returned to the Amora; we had forgotten what a superb experience it is! Room service on hight 1, dinner in house night 2 and breakfast both days in house, can't be faulted. First class experience, booked another 2 night stay late July!

Room Tip: Each room has an aspect in our experience so not too much risk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Tim B,
It is always such a pleasure to read the feedback of guests who have had such a positive experience during their stay, and I do appreciate you taking the time to write this fantastic review. I look forward to welcoming you back in July!
Raumati Beach, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We enjoyed a nights stay at the Amora hotel last weekend. The room had been refurbished since our last stay and were much improved however the bathroom had only had minor upgrade and the shower was not the best. We also had a problem with one of the windows not closing properly and as it was a windy wellington night we were kept awake most of the night by a very loud and constant whistling sound. But would stay again ( after checking the windows) as we loved the very central location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear JacquieP,
Thank you for providing a review of your stay. In order for us to rectify the issues with the shower and the window it would be much appreciated if you could contact me on 04 473 3900 to advise us of the room number in which you were staying. It was good to read that you enjoyed the decor of your room and our fabulous location, and I hope you will come and visit us again in the near future.
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Valet staff were fantastic that was the highlight.

We had a room on level 1 would have liked a higher floor with a view given the price we paid.
The room was spacious and comfortable modern fittings everything worked.

The bathroom was dated, a full size bath and shower with an after thought toilet. The toilet area was narrow with shoulders almost able to touch the wall and the wall put up between the bath and toilet. Would not be suitable for a larger person or man to comfortably use the toilet facilities.

Internet cost $26 for $24 and connection was problematic, was also charged twice for it when only purchased once. Thankfully the checkout staff fixed immediately, much better than the check in staff who ignored us and continued to discuss their social lives.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear MELC9791,
I have taken note of your comments and appreciate your feedback; especially in relation to your experience on checking in to the hotel, which I will address further with my team. Thank you for providing a review of your stay and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at some time in the future.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a Girls weekend - my 'holiday-at-home' as I live in Wellington.

The location is great, really central to The waterfront, Te papa, Courtenay Place and Cuba street. Easy to walk everywhere from here. Rooms were neat and tidy, quite a modern/simple style, but had everything you would need for a short stay - tea/coffee/wineglasses etc. Good sized bathroom with good lighting and mirrors.
Air-Con worked well as room seemed to get quite hot and stuffy during the day.

Quick and easy walk to many good coffee/food places so we did not eat at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BurntK,
It was nice to read a review from a Wellingtonian; the 'holiday at home' sounds like a lovely idea! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our convenient central city location, the decor of your room and the comfort of our in-room air conditioning. I do hope you get the chance to visit us again soon, and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback of your stay.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked a club room for May 31, 2013 as a surprise evening for my husband and to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary. I booked a club room using our entertainment book. The booking as very easy. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to room 722, a suite. It was gorgeous and really, really spacious. Large bedroom with kingsize bed, a lovely big lounge with a leather sofa, dining area, chaise lounge, tea and coffe making facilities and underbench fridge. The suite had 2 flat screen televisions (one in the lounge and the other in the bedroom), large bathroom with a shower, toilet and spa bath. There was also another toilet and hand basin. Straight ahead down the hall was the lounge and if you turned right a small hallway lead to the bedroom. The whole suite was very well decorated and housekeeping did a wonderful job as all areas were exceptionally clean and tidy. The views out over the harbour were very nice too. We did not hear the traffic below which was a bonus given that we were very close to all the restaurants and bars of the inner city. We used the club lounge for complimentary drinks and canapes. We ate at the Grill restaurant and the meal was excellent. The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming. We used the valet parking which was very efficient. This was a fantastic hotel and we enjoyed our night there before flying to Christchurch to continue our long weekend celebration. Thank you all for helping make this a great stay, and I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NZ_NURSE
Dear NZ_NURSE,
Thanks for a fantastic review! It was encouraging to read your comments in relation to our housekeeping and reception service, and your experience in our Grill Restaurant and Club Lounge. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your anniversary weekend and you get the opportunity to visit us here at the Amora Hotel Wellington again soon.
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

On a recent business trip to New Zealand, the Amora Hotel Wellington was chosen on my behalf by the office travel coordinator. For future trips to Wellington, I will be requesting alternative accommodation.

After an international flight and/or a tiring business day, one hopes to end the day at a nice hotel where your basic needs are met and hopefully you might even feel a little pampered. Sadly, the Amora did not deliver. I arrived mid afternoon on an international flight and needed lunch because my body clock was on a different time zone. The Amora restaurant was closed. The only alternative was to order room service in my dark and dingy room or choose from a very limited menu and eat in the depressing bar area. The fish and chips was so oily and the fish tasted so old I left most of the meal behind and thought I'd venture out into the wet weather instead, in search of decent food. To face the teeming rain, concierge gave me an umbrella which was so broken that I couldn't advance more than 2 meters before retreating to the hotel. Alas, no more umbrellas available. And from there, the scene was set for one disappointment after another... no shower cap in the bathroom amenities, just the promise of a shower cap in an empty box. The printer in the 'business centre' wasn't working and wouldn't be working for the duration of my stay. A late night order to room service was completely forgotten and required reminder calls. A morning breakfast order of boiled egg arrived with knife and fork but no spoon. When I requested a teaspoon, a large desert spoon arrived... still not quite a practical utensil for attacking a little boiled egg. And on it went like this for the rest of my stay. In the end, I found myself EXPECTING to be let down. In isolation, none of these issues would normally warrant mentioning, but the cumulative effect was continuous disappointment and frustration. I lost all faith in the hotel's ability to execute anything properly. In addition, the decor is VERY tired, worn and dated. It really is quite a depressing place.

If you must stay here for business, bring some chocolate as you wont find any in the bar fridge and you're going to need something to cheer you up in your dreary room after work! If you are traveling for a holiday - find yourself a cheery B&B or boutique hotel somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Choca H
AmoraHotelWellington, General Manager at Amora Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Choca H,
I have taken note of your comments and will address your feedback with my team. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues further with you so that we can investigate thoroughly the points that you have highlighted; I can be contacted on +64 4 4733900. I apologise sincerely that your stay did not meet your expectations and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Amora Hotel on a future visit.