“What a let down”

Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We checked into Downtown backpackers after the I site in Nelson found it for us after selling us the ferry crossing tickets. During the crossing I found a leaflet about the place saying the royal entourage stayed their during the Queens visit in her Coronation year 1953, how bad can it be?
It looks ok from the outside and is in a very good position directly across from the Railway station.
We were served by a girl who interrupted our check in to answer the phone and subsequently start selling the place to the caller, she passed us to her colleague who when she got a little flustered passed us back as the phone call ended. Poor start, we got the card key and went to the second floor, the key wasn't working so we took it back she came up to our room and told us all the doors were a bad fit since the earthquake and that we had to jiggle the door to open it.
It was a four bed dorm with ensuite, very dated buckled metal bunk beds one of which had bent support under both top and bottom, there were individual lights for reading above each bed, but there was only a bulb in one of them and that didn't work. I presume the check in staff are voluntary and they changed regularly, maybe they were just guests trying their luck, but we were left with a bad impression.
Not a good night's sleep, we went into the canteen and saw some shrivelled food so went to Macdonalds next door. The happy hour was good and free pool was too.
If only they had some attention to detail in the rooms and staff attitude, it could of been so average.

Room Tip: Don't have a tip only stayed one night didn't see a good side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed for one night in a six bed dorm with a small functional shower/toilet. Bunk were noisy when turning and not very sturdy, bedding was mostly clean but obviously reused many times. Room was on the fourth floor, reachable with a lift which was a plus.

Check in took a while, only one reception staff member on, even though there was a queue of five persons, took a while to sort everyone out.

Very large kitchen on the first floor, had most things necessary for cooking, albeit not all clean. Had an adjacent bar to which guest got a voucher for 3 drinks for 2.

As a whole, the hostel is very big and impersonal, run down and in need of redecorating. Our bedroom windows did not shut tightly which let in the cold draft of Wellington.

A place to stay if need early bus/ferry/train connection as within walking distance to train and bus bus station (could see from our dorm window) and a quick bus journey to the ferry. However, the place would be on our bottom list to stay in again in Wellington.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2014

During my stay I was first assigned to a room where the tv did not work so I complained and they kindly put me into a different room I am impressed at their service they seem friendly and willing to help people. The only cons I had was that the new room that I stayed in was much nicer and had a nicer bathroom so the rooms were either really good or just not that good depending on luck. Overall I had a pleasant stay close to shops nearby and I did not find it very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great location, very close to a good supermarket (located in the railway station across the road), only about 5-10 minute walk to a major shopping street (Lambton Quay) and the Beehive. Great priced, good quality food (enjoyed the specials) and well priced drinks. (20% off for happy hour). Didn't use the communal kitchen but looked well set out, like a commercial kitchen, great shared fridge/freezer/pantry. We were on the second floor, our room was small but had space for everything. Would not choose a room with a shared bathroom next time, I prefer my own bathroom. Friendly, knowledgeable staff, were more than happy to find out information for us on activities such as the parliamentary tours at the beehive. Our beds were really comfortable. Really enjoyed our stay. We were only there to sleep and occasionally eat anyway, otherwise we were out exploring.

Room Tip: Choose one without a shared bathroom..
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TayTay270
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I choose this one because it is just in front of the railway station, but is the worst choice in my long staying in NZ , during which I visited 20+ motels and hotels. I wanted a single ensuite, the price was the same that a motel, but the room was very small, no desk or table, only a narrow shelf under the window without any lamp. The window is on a dirty courtyard, and the next door building has a very noisy fan. Bathroom very small. The staff is professional but very cold, a loud music at the reception doesn’t help to understand their words. Only if you need the cheapest accommodation, the bunk bed in a room of 8 or 6. I didn't used any of the facilities. open 24 hours and just in front of the railway station.

Room Tip: have a bunk bed and save money.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Fantastic location as we arrived from the Bluebridge Ferry and had to leave from the main railway station the next morning. Private rooms were great and not noisy as we had heard. Restaurant looked good but no time to try it out. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ensuite rooms are great value.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mazzaontour
Reviewed March 10, 2014

It has been a while since I have had to stay in a place like this. Normally I avoid anything close to a train station. This place was right across the street from the main station in Wellington. I got here at about 7.30pm. There was one person working on the desk and a queue of around 7 or 8 people. The phones were constantly ringing. I felt sorry for the person who was working on reception.

The check-in went reasonably smoothly after waiting a while. I got to my six bed dorm which cost $26 per night as BBH members get $3 discount per night. It was cramped, but at least it had a bathroom. Unfortunately as I had a room on the second floor near the road I could hear a lot of road noise and the noise from the smokers area in the bar below.

I decided to give the bar a go. It was fairly empty when I got there and they had happy hour promotions with 30% off all drinks between 7pm and 9pm. I had a few drinks there, but there wasn't much happening so I went to bed.

It wasn't a great place to sleep to be honest because of the traffic noise and the snoring in my room.

I don't rate this place and next time I would definitely chose the YHA over this place. A lot more professional and a nicer environment.

Room Tip: Never stay in rooms on the corner facing the main road. These rooms are also just above the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo