“Unnecessarily dirty place”

and 1 more site!
Rosemere Backpackers
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here thinking, given its website, that it would be a charming backpackers in the heart of the city. It may be in the heart, but charming it is not.

The staff were bored and totally unfriendly when I arrived. I cannot believe that in the 21st century establishments still allow their workers to behave like this. Customers, especially in hostels, are surely the number one priority. Not here.

My dorm was right next to the main door meaning it was noisy and extremely insecure. (Indeed later, after checking out, I'd realised I'd left something behind. I let myself into the hostel, into the room, and picked it up. I could've been anyone and I could've taken anything.)

Worst of all, everything was filthy, the kitchen especially. Saying it is budget accommodation is absolutely no excuse - 95% of the places I've stayed in NZ - or the world for that matter - were able to keep things clean. So why not here? I'll tell you why - the staff don't give a damn. The rooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while too. In a place of this size (and there are a lot of people here) the staff need to be trained to keep on top of things, rather than just sitting around in the communal rooms. Socialising with guests is highly important, I agree, but not at the cost of ignoring the basics.

Some redeeming features, however: the breakfast was pretty generous, and there were 30 minutes of free internet a day - a real rarity in NZ.

I would encourage you to avoid this place, as I'm certain there other hostels of a far better quality in the area.

Room Tip: Don't pick the dorm by the front door - terribly unsafe.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Everyone's room door bangs or slams or is difficult to open so people make a lot of noise getting in and out of their rooms in the corridors. The place was relatively clean on the surface - just don't use the microwave or the oven. Beds ok but other room furnishings past their best. As others have said lots of long-termers. The staff seem to be from overseas and not particularly friendly. Half hearted attempts at helpfulness. Often difficult to find anyone who works there as reception is often not manned . Sometimes felt like you were bothering them.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I stayed here for three weeks. The rooms and facilities are clean and well looked after although the beds are basic. The staff are friendly and go the extra mile with free breakfasts, tea and hot choclate and free 30 mins internet. I met all sorts of interesting people there from all over the world and it is very centrally located but not in a noisy part of the city. You even get a $5 discount as a member of the BBH chain.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We were expecting more from Rosemere based on its website. I figured that we would be staying in budget accommodation - this is budget, alright. On the positive side, any backpackers is a decent place to meet interesting people, we could help ourselves to free cereal in the morning, and the mid-week soup or sausage BBQ is a helpful touch. The clientele seems to lean towards the long-term variety - some local singletons and quite a few 'permanent' international travellers. We encountered a heavy drinking culture from the latter, and the service from those travellers employed to work the hostel was half-hearted. Rooms are very basic (we had pubic hair on greyed sheets in our room), toilets are mixed-gender and a bit old, the lounge is >very small<, and you have to climb steep steps to get to the front door. I would look for another place to stay if I were to visit Wellington again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Just disgusting! Filthy place, no atmosphere, no reason to like this place at all! Most people staying here are renting long term. Just nasty. Not sure why people would want to stay here long term when you can rent a decent flat in Wellington cheaper than backpackers! And especially when this place is so nasty?!?! I have travelled to over 50 countries and stayed in many many many backpackers. It is hard to find a backpackers this bad!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank onlyonedream
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We arrived in wellington at 12:30am expecting a key to be left out for us, as no key was left out we spent the first night sleeping on a couch. It ruined the first day of our holiday. We found the accommodation has little atmosphere as most people were renting. It was clean but boring.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lucyrose9
Reviewed November 15, 2008

A nice and clean Hostel with friendly staff. The rooms are comfy and spacious, showers an toilets clean and good. The location is excellent, very close to the city and bus stop. Maybe it would be a bit difficult to climb up the Hill with a heavy backpack.
Unfortunately there were a few downsides: The "free" Internet was ONE Computer and it was always blocked. The "free" Coffee did not exist. My mattress was the worst I ever experienced. After reception hours nobody seemed to care, so there was loud music, party, screaming and doorbanging til dawn. All the doors close with an extreme "bang", even the toilet doors, so this was very annoying, too.

This hostel ist exellent for young people who want to enjoy nightlife, but not so good to relax and sleep.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sandy17sweden