“Nicest hostel i've stayed in in Wellington”
Review of Trek Global

Trek Global
Trek Global
Wanaka, Otago, New Zealand
“Nicest hostel i've stayed in in Wellington”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Trek Global. I found it's got good downtown location and it's one of the very cheapest hostels in Wellington as far as I know. Indoors was very clean since it's a pretty new hostel, I guess. The rooms and kitchens were bright and colourful. They had kitchen staff so i needed not worry about dishes realy. Cutlery was lacking at times. Not too much room in the fridges (not like there was in any hostel). I enjoyed pool and football table and that there was lockers. Staff was realy friendly and helpful (like most places in NZ I've come across). They also had a security guy at night. The nicest hostel I've stayed in so far in Wellington. I could'nt have asked for more at a price of $130 a week.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at Trek on 4 separate occasions. It’s a big hostel, great location, lots of space. It’s always busy and there are plenty of new people to meet.
There are 6 different areas each with its own character so it feels like you’re staying in a much smaller hostel.

The rooms are big and clean, with a lockable store cupboard you can fit your whole backpack in.
Bathroom - The bathrooms upstairs can get busy, but there are four extra bathrooms on the ground floor.The girl’s only floor (the retreat) has its own bathroom with a hairdryer.
Kitchen - There is more than one kitchen to choose from so less time to wait and lots of seating space too. Kitchens are cleaned daily but can get a little messy by the evening time.

The hostel arranges events such as themes food nights, Movie nights and quizzes great fun and a good way to meet people. It's a very social hostel and there’s always something going on.

Likes- The staff, The showers, The people, The prices!
Safety, this is one of the few hostels I’ve stayed in with Overnight security.

Dislike – there often big group bookings in the hostel which can make it feel crowded and busy.
The booking system,book well in advance to avoid dissapointment.

It's a city centre hostel, so it’s not always quiet, this is a back packer hostel it is not suitable for a quiet couples holiday or for Family’s – there is a nice hotel next door.

I have stayed in hostels all over NZ and I keep coming back to Trek

Room Tip: Floors are colour coded Yellow great value for money. Very cheap but you get way more than your mo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank TravellerDaisy
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I chose to stay at this hostel 16-19th June because of its great location (not far from Cuba Street, and not far from University accommodation where a friend was staying!)
I booked a $25 bed in a 6-bed dorm for the first night, however on arrival when I found my room, it was actually a 4-bed dorm - result! I stayed in the Purple wing - no complaints about the room, I was just pretty unlucky with the guests I was staying with as they came back from a night out at 4am and continued partying until 8am, while I (and probably other guests) were trying to sleep. I guess this is just part of staying in a hostel, you can't guarantee a good night's sleep! For the next 2 nights, I stayed in a $19 bed in a 4-bed dorm (bargain!) in the yellow wing, where I had a much better night's sleep!
I will admit that the kitchens and bathrooms were not in a great state by late evening/early morning, but I did see cleaners each day scrubbing the kitchens and bathrooms once most of the guests had left in the morning. Not all bathrooms (have plugs (I wanted to dry my hair without waking everyone in my dorm), so the kind lady at reception told me that I could use the toilets on the ground floor instead if I needed to as you don't need a key fob to access this area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gillsfan36
Georgetown, Penang
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in Trek Global on 3 different occassions, mostly just a night or two. There are a couple of foosball table and pool table which I have never used them.

The location is good, it's close to the Civic Centre, New World, Cuba Mall and Wakefield St (Nakedbus' drop off point).

The first time I was staying in a double bedroom with ensuite bathroom ($99), there was a TV (with SKY channels) in the room. The room was on a seperate section with a spacious kitchen which can only access by the residents of that particular floor. It was quiet and clean.

The 2nd & 3rd time, I was staying at the 4-bed dorm. I booked the room online with the opening specials ($19). This time I got the dorm on the ground floor. There is no dedicated section so I was using the common toilets (wheelchair-friendly) and kitchen. There is only a sink in the kitchen so it gets a little dirtier with all the unwashed dishes after dinner. Occassionally, you might hear some chatters at night if the room is facing the Allenby Terrace, a pedestrian thoroughfare.

You get what you paid for. I would gladly stayed at Trek Global on my next visit to Wellington, hopefully the opening special is still running! :)

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank lonerlover
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Although new and flash looking from the outside this hostel is over crowded & dirty. The rooms are cramped and the kitchens are even smaller. It was difficult at times to find any dishes to cook with. I stayed two nights in a 6 bed dorm. The building was warm and had lots of hot water, however it was cramped, dirty, noisy and filled with the loud and drunk sort of crowd. There is no space for your food or to get to anything in the kitchens. There was the same visible dirt on the carpet for the entire time that I were there, it clearly had not been vaccumed during the time that I was there. My mattress was a trough, that once in the middle I could not get out of- a very uncomfortable sleep. There was also only 3 combined bathroom/showers for the 10+ rooms in the section I stayed in. At times there was a wait for the ablution facilities.

It may be cheap, but don't bother its not worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katy E

Travelers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hostel 3 times now. People seem to complain about the smallest things, but you have to remember, this is a hostel not a hotel! You are paying for basics and to be fair you do get a little more.
I have enjoyed every stay here. It's a very friendly hostel (Staff and Guests). There is a nice chill room where you can go and watch a movie. The atmosphere is great and they're always putting on events. Yes, it can get bit noisy. BUT, a hostel is a meeting place for backpackers to meet each other and have a laugh.
The rooms are generally clean and bathrooms too. Ok, they get a bit messy during the day from everyone using them, but the cleaners are there every morning to tidy up.
Also you have to realise that some people that are only staying 1 night don't really have enough time to get involved and enjoy the hostel. My stays here add up to 4 weeks now, so I can tell you from experience that this is a great hostel to stay at in Wellington. And cheap too!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank James R
Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights in their cheap dorm, didnt get any sleep for both nights. First of all, the dorm was next to lift, so everyone who used lift during the night made enough noise to wake us up, the main thing was door after lift, which wasnt working properly and made noise. Second night we got to know biography of all party people in the hostel, dorm was situated just above courtyard and every time someone came to have a sigarette and talk with friends about how magnifisent was the night, then it was heard to our room as well. Kitchen was dirty, especially in the mornings. Staff was nice durning the weekdays and when there were more than one member. Otherwise it was good, rooms were tidy, location was good and facilities were best. Still, internet should be free, atleast some amount.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple