“Dragged kicking a screaming, but didn't want to leave!”
Review of Wellington Zoo

and up
Wellington Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Tour
Ranked #9 of 237 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Ok, so I don't like zoos. I always feel sorry from the animals, so despite the fact I had lived in Wellington for 5 years, I had avoided the zoo. Well, I had been to the cafe, but I don't think that counts.

I was eventually persuaded to visit with our little one when we had family staying and was very very pleasantly surprised. It's clean, tidy, well laid out. The animals have areas where they can retreat if they don't want to be seen. There are also very informative talks throughout the day. All the animals looked in good health, so no need for me to feel sorry for any of them.

So go on - have a look. Who knows you might even go back again like I did.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,240)

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Disapointed with our trip to the zoo. Didn't see too many animals, either the cages were empty and waiting for future zoo or they were just plain empty cause alot of places were devoid of animals. The high point of the day was watching the sun bears playing, they are a real hoot.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wellington Zoo is one of our favourite places to visit as a family. We usually start off with coffee at Mojo while watching the Pygmy Marmosets play. The keepers are always friendly another is lots of opportunity for interaction with the animals - don't miss the giraffe talk where you get the opportunity to hand feed them.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a lovely, small zoo. Go in with an expectation that you'll see some native NZ (and Oz) animals and can walk through a beautiful area on the trip. I would plan 1-2 hours to cover the zoo. That said, it's a bit pricey for what they have to offer, but I'm a zoo lover and don't mind supporting a zoo that's trying to grow. The most interesting part was how close I could get to some of the animals - in fact the wallabies weren't even in cages. Kids will love this zoo - lots of fun ways to interact (even a trampoline). Wear good shoes - you'll be walking up a lot of hills.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Lots to see and do, new enclosures and plenty of animals. Wear good shoes and don't take too much as it is up and down hills frequently.