“I love this zoo”

and up
Wellington Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Tour
Ranked #8 of 236 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Twenty years ago Wellington Zoo was horrible. I go every year and have really loved the way it has improved. Still some work to do but that is OK. I love been able to watch surgery in the hospital.

WellingtonZoo, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Hi Jenny - thank you so much for taking the time to review our Zoo. I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very accessible to all transport and have many parking site for free. My children were having fun when we visited first time at the zoo. They got huge playground to play and many kind of animal to hold onto.

Hi Jane - what great photos! Sounds like you and your family had a great time. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Easy to get to by public bus, and with a free bus (which is dressed up as a jungle) in the school holidays.
The new tiger and sun bear enclosures are good, but the animals are still getting used to their new habitat and are a bit shy. For that reason, it's best to go at feeding time and you are sure to see them and also get a talk from the keepers.
There are numerous opportunities to interact with various animals during the day (eg giraffes, dingo, blue-tongued lizard) for free, and you can pay to go into the enclosures with certain animals for a closer encounter if you book ahead.
It's set on a hilly site so be prepared for some climbing, but the paths are good and there's always access for strollers and wheelchairs.
I saw the biggest (and noisiest) kiwi in the darkened kiwi house.
The little monkeys housed off the cafe as you enter the zoo shouldn't be missed.

Hi Fiona - i'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the Zoo. You'll be pleased to know that the Sun Bears and Tigers are settling in well to their new homes and are out and about more and more every day. Thank you for taking the time to write a review - I hope we see you again soon

Reviewed November 6, 2012

On a ,day this is the place to bring the young children as there are plenty of safe pathways for them to run and stretch their legs. the animals appeared to be happy and well engaged in their surroundings . we were thrilled to be attending at the time of a vet visit for one of the animals. the - at the end of the visit was a treat. Unfortunately the entrance fee is very expensive.

Hi Judy - thank you for taking the time to review your trip to the Zoo. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit and I hope we see you again soon. As you are a local our Zoo Crew membership is a great way to get good value - for less than the cost of four visits you get unlimited entry for a whole year.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My daughters and I had the best day out at the Wellington Zoo. It would be one of the best Zoo's I have come across. Well set out, great variety of animals. A very special day.

WellingtonZoo, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Hi there - i'm glad you and your family enjoyed your visit to our Zoo! I hope we see you all again soon.