“Best little zoo!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Wellington Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Tour
Ranked #7 of 229 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best little zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I decided to go here because I wanted so see some native New Zealand animals. I was very impressed by this little zoo. They have many daily talks which will give you a more hands on experience while learning about different animals. I ended up doing a red panda encounter, which I would highly recommend. It was one of the highlights of my entire trip. I never thought I would be able to be that close to an animal in a zoo so I was very impressed. I also got to feed giraffes and throw food to the sunbear, which I never thought I would be able to do. I would definately go here again and I cant wait to try another close encounter.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank JocelineBaz
Wellington_Zoo_Trust, General Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Hi,

we're glad you enjoyed your Red Panda Close Encounter, they're such amazing animals! We're keen to encourage our visitors to find their personal connection with nature, and it's great to hear that you had a great experience. We hope to see you again soon.

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wellington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visit Wellington Zoo several times a year because it is a great zoo with lots of animals and our 2yr old loves it there. Plenty of hills to walk up and down so the little one always sleeps well after his visits :)
The cafe does great food & coffee too. They do an annual pass for one adult & child which is well worth it.

Visited July 2012
WellingtonZoo, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hi there - thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again soon!
Wellington, New Zealand
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Hard to get around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Took my son who was at the time fitting cancer as this was on his bucket list. He was in a wheelchair and what a challenge. Very tough to get around. Thought it looked abit tired and alot was under renovation.

WellingtonZoo, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Zoo, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hi Jacqueline - thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that you had difficulty during your visit. Unfortunately due to the hilly nature of our site and Wellington in general do we have some steeper sections in the Zoo. Since your visit we have opened our new Asia Precinct which we've had some good feedback on from other wheelchair bound visitors and we do keep accessiblity in mind when redeveloping areas in the Zoo as well.

Next time you visit, have a chat to our front of house staff and they will be able to point out the easiest areas of the Zoo in terms of access.
Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand
“amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

very well done, looks very good service is great, cant wait for the asia part. it was an enjoyable trip. cant wait to go again

Visited August 2012
Hi Ben - thanks for the lovely review! Our new Asia Precinct is now open, so hopefully you get the chance to come and check it out :)
Wellington, New Zealand
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Giraffes. Vehicle thaat you can climb on.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The highlights are the giraffe enclosure and the land-rover that children can climb on. I like the Chimps' enclosure (more an island than an enclosure). A good walk. Take a jacket in case of a chilly wind.

Visited August 2012
Hi there - thanks very much for your lovely comments. The jeep is a very popular attraction at the Zoo it seems! As part of our new Asia Precinct we now have an amazing TukTuk from Cambodia which is proving equally popular - I hope you can come and check it out some time this summer.