“Average Zoo”

and up
Wellington Hop-on Hop-Off Bus Tour
Ranked #8 of 236 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit us today and discover why Wellington Zoo is gaining a reputation for being the best little zoo in the whole wide world!
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spend a lot of my time at Auckland Zoo so that is what I am used to. When I came to Wellington Zoo, I realized straight away that many of the enclosures were very small and not so natural. Especially ones like the sun bear enclosure, that just brought tears to my eyes. And the serval enclosure looked more like a bird aviary to me and the poor cat was pacing over and over again.

However, I really did enjoy the giraffes and how I got to feed them like I do in Auckland. The nocturnal kiwi house was also very neat and I really enjoyed the wild theater show, very interesting and educational. The staff and zoo keepers are very nice and always happy to help.

Overall, it was quite a good zoo, but I would like to see some improvement on some of the enclosures.

1  Thank ZooGirl101

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Get a lot closer to animals and have a lovely day walking around a beautifully laid out zoo. (Bring walking shoes!)

Reviewed June 27, 2012

The staff are fantastic, helpful and very knowledgable. There is an amazing new state of the art animal hospital where you can see animals being looked after and operated on. The zoo is really active in animal conservation and caring for the enviroment. It is a new age zoo and the animals look well cared for and content. I loved it and will go again and would recommend it too anyone especially if you have children it is very educational with great signage.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

It was a cold blustery day that we visited Wellington Zoo...but the animals really put on a display, our grandaughters loved it....especially the sun bears, and the staff were so friendly, it was wonderful

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We visited the Wellington on our last day in Wellington - we were actually scheduled to leave the city that morning, but decided to push back our driving to the afternoon and evening so we could see the zoo! The reason for this - the red panda close encounter!

We both just love red pandas, and couldn't pass up this opportunity. No zoos in my area back at home offer such a neat and enriching experience, so we rearranged our plans to take advantage of it.

It didn't disappoint - it was just us and another couple for at least a half hour - I think it was actually 45 minutes or so, it didn't feel rushed in the slightest. We learned about them from their zookeeper and got to feed them. They love the treats so walk all over you - great photo opportunities! It's also helpful for them as it trains them to come to people - a good trick for vet appointments and so on, so it's a win-win situation. I think they only do one a day, so it's not like the pandas are overwhelmed at all.

The rest of the zoo is also very nice. Others have commented that it's small, and they're right, but a lot is fit into this space without seeming to compromise the animal enclosures. It's a really nice zoo with a good assortment of animals. There are also close encounters with other animals - check them out!