“Great Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Russell, New Zealand
“Great Location”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I've stayed here before a few years ago on a business trip so when I needed a good place that is within walking distance to Te Papa this time around I choose the Novotel - also because they had a special for Accor Advantage Plus members which was hard to resist.

I may have mentioned that before here about hotels in Wellington - they are usually cheaper if one stays on a weekend than during the week - so I stayed a Sunday night - the stormy night of ex cyclone Lusi (made for a rough landing at the airport).

The hotel is actually on the Terrace but has internal access from Lambton Key through the shopping center there via the car park - that was very handy on a wet and windy night as otherwise I would have been soaked getting there.

Staff are very friendly and I had a room on the 5th floor facing away from the waterfront. Very spacious and clean, big king bed and by comparison a small bathroom. The bathroom is the only thing I have a small problem with - the shower head is fixed and quite high - impossible not to get your hair wet when showering... if they would provide a shower cap that would be nice - so wet hair - onto the hair dryer... oh well... one of those fixed - one setting for all things that basically stopped working after half a minute - so half a head done - the other not... just not good enough really.

Other than that - a nice stay and great breakfast but as I said - the location is key here.

Room Tip: Try and get a waterfron facing room if you can
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
NovotelWellington, Front Office Manager at Novotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again recently and taking the time to post your feedback.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay here at the Novotel Wellington and I am also glad to note that you were able to make the most of your Accor Advantage Plus membership benefits.

On your next visit, simply ask our friendly Front Desk team to provide you with a shower cap and they will be happy to deliver it to your room.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Overall a nice place to stay. I know travelers would appreciate complimentary WiFi in the hotel rooms. Easier on us as we are sometimes weary.
The rooms are clean, comfy, good beds and pillows. Safe in the closet, kettle for boiling water, large windows, air conditioning, car park service.
The staff are helpful, we stayed here 2 1/2 yrs ago and returned...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Morcella,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay here at the Novotel Wellington and we certainly look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Auckland Central, New Zealand
Reviewed March 19, 2014

excellent service, location and product presentation and would be recommended
Staff very helpfull, Hotel very well presented, room modern and fresh with super comforatble beds, will stay again in the near future

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Darren V
Dear Darren,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to post such a fantastic feedback!

It is very pleasing to note that we were able to get everything right for you and I will surely pass on your wonderful comments to our team. Our Novotel beds are indeed relaxing and comfortable and add to the wonders of your good night's sleep!

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we certainly look forward to welcome you back in the near future!

Manila
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Counting the Novotel Wellington, I've stayed in 3 different Novotels in Australia and New Zealand.

The very first Novotel I ever stayed in was the Novotel, Darling Harbour, Sydney. I quite enjoyed that particular stay (but then again I was much younger then and didn't necessarily know any better). The second Novotel I've had the (dis)-pleasure of staying in is the Novotel Canberra. Those stays were less than satisfactory -- to put it succinctly, service quality sucked; which brings me to the Novotel Wellington.

As with the my first two Novotels, the hard product did not disappoint and was up to par with what you have a right to expect from a 3-1/2 to 4 star hotel.

My executive room was of a good size. Unfortunately, I had (thanks to the HSBC building) only a partial view of the harbor. The TV was of a good size (around 40 inches). Staying with the electronics theme, I appreciated the presence of a wall mounted USB port which allowed me to charge my I-devices. However, I should mention that the desk mounted outlets are shaped for AUS/NZ electrical plugs rather than universal outlets. Speaking of the desk, I also dislike the absence of stationery and envelopes. The king sized bed was comfortable and the window side chaise lounge (or whatever the furniture is actually called) was appreciated as well. Other reviewers don't seem to like the blood-spatter curtains but they didn't bother me in the least. In room WiFi was adequate. Access is capped at 1 GB per day though; fine if all you're doing is checking email, your FB page and what not. However, if you want to stream movies or TV shows, you'll likely reach the cap quite quickly. Rounding off the room-proper inventory is the mini-bar, fridge and coffee maker.

Bathroom wise, it was (no surprise) a shower-tub combination stocked with no-name/in-house toiletries. Water pressure was very good (but not glorious) and while the towels were fine, I've seen better.

Breakfast was, as expected, adequate. All the staples of a Western (American) Breakfast were present. However, the food items on offer did not change from day to day.

The hotel also has direct access to Lambton Quay (available through an elevator), a welcome amenity.

As for the soft product -- the front desk was good but housekeeping was perfunctory (at best). Used toiletries were not replaced (in my case that would be the cotton buds); the free bottled water was never replenished and I only received a morning newspaper once during the 4 days I was there. (Still, at least service was better overall than the Novotel Canberra, where both the front desk and housekeeping can't be bothered.)

To conclude, my stay was just okay. While the Novotel Wellington was better than the Novotel Canberra... it isn't as if Canberra set a high standard to begin with.

1 Thank PhTravelling_Guy
NovotelWellington, Front Office Manager at Novotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to write a detailed feedback.

Our service is our benchmark and it is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to monitor our service levels and hotel facilities to ensure we are maintaining our high expectations and meeting our guest expectations.

The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Novotel Wellington. On arrival reception was very welcoming and nothing was a problem. Location of Hotel is very central and close to Museum, restaurants, buses and Cuba Street. Room was cleaned to a very high standard. Dinner in the dining room is good value with excellent customer service. Breakfast served every morning was excellent with a great variety of food for all tastes .Accor certainly have it right with bedding and linen .Rooms are spotless .About a 10 minute walk can get you to the harbour.I would certainly stay again and congratulations to the Manager of this establishment. There is no swimming pool but the gym over the road has a swimming pool which can be used.

Dear Jackie,

It is very pleasing to note that we were able to get everything right for you and I will surely pass on your wonderful comments to our team. Your compliments and appreciation will go a long way with them.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2014

While I only stayed one night at the Novotel, it met all the requirements I have as a business traveler. The hotel is centrally located and is a short walk to the city center, my office and a host a restaurants. A 10 minute walk can get you to the harbour where there is a good range of eateries, otherwise you might find a good one on the way there! The room was as a I expected, good quality finishings, pleasant decor, great bed and the necessary technology trimmings (wifi, power etc) to help me work in the evening. All up, it was an enjoyable stay. As the hotel is built on a small shopping center, be aware that access to the hotel can be a bit difficult out of hours.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
NovotelWellington, Front Office Manager at Novotel Wellington, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to write your feedback.

It is a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I am glad to note the service we provide and the Hotel's central location was well suited for your needs while travelling on business.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Wellington in the near future.