“Superb service a gret stay thank you”
Review of Novotel Wellington

Novotel Wellington
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We usually stay at the Novotel in Wellington, however this time we decided to stay elsewhere as heard the new decor was terrible. After a horrible 2 day stay elsewhere and then having jetstar cancel our flight, Novotel were the only hotel that woul take us in at 1am with no credit card an just cash to our name. They offered a late check out for 2pm so we could have time to sort our flights and insurance and a huge discount on the room! Novotel staff have the best customer service and were so understanding. We dealt with Ravi, Greta, Olivia and a huge thanks to Niki.
The decor really isn't that bad and does not look like a csi room when all elements and art work are taken into consideration - I do prefer the old decor but this does give it more of a modern twist and much better lighting.

• Stayed January 2013
NovotelWellington, General Manager at Novotel Wellington, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear DanAnd3,
Thank you for your feedback. It was pleasing to read that our team were able to assist you when you flight was cancelled and you were able to take time to make alternative travel arrangements. I will ensure you comments are passed on to those staff members that you made reference of.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Excellent hotel, customer service at reception and at the restaurant were great. Really wonderful hotel, just like all the other Novotels we have stayed in around the world. 100% fantastic. The restaurant menu was extensive and all the food we ordered was lovely. Breakfast buffet fantstic, wide selection of foods. Handy to all locations, rail station and interislander.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NovotelWellington, General Manager at Novotel Wellington, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Camsey,
Thank you for posting such great feedback following your recent stay with us. We look forward to being of service again in the near future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Staff on front desk were friendly, efficient and helpful. The rooms are basic/nothing special but they have been recently refurbished so they look great. The hotel is in a good location (the lifts to lambton quay are fantastic) and the beds are comfortable. No free wifi but there are two computers near reception that you can use. Excellent value for money. Would definitely recommend that people stay here while in Wellington.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Constantlyontheroad,
Thank you for posting your feedback on the Trip Advisor website. It was great to read you were able to take full advantage of our location in the city centre and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Dural, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The proverbial [--] hit the fan within seconds of arrival at the front desk.

The Duty Manager calmly stated the booked & fully paid for interconnecting rooms were not available.

We had paid in full back in JULY for 2x EXECUTIVE SUITES - interconnecting (travelling with young children). Our stay was for 7 days & we had also fully paid for breakfast. Total paid was just over AU$3,900.

I asked to see the rooms and I'm so glad I did... management tried to palm us off into a revoltingly squishy room on a high floor with a tiny window overlooking roofs of buildings, yes it was interconnecting, BUT it was definitely not the room I had seen on their website. Nor was it an executive suite. It was a standard high floor room & they had moved the Nespresso machine to turn the room into an executive. Our group of 3 adults & two children were expected to be cramped up in 2 rooms like these for 7 days. I would have become certifiably insane after 1 day!!!!!

Next option was a ground floor, larger room - NOT INTERCONNENCTING, and with a cleaners storage room & another guest room in-between. Great for the children - soooooo safe! The view was of factory shed roof & office buildings. All the rooms had been overhauled with cheap furnishings & smelt of plastic & hideous new carpet gases.

THIS IS NOT EXECUTIVE LIVING - this is what I call poor-mans wasteland trying to be something it's not.

I want to add... I rang Accor reservations & asked about the executive rooms, I looked at their website many times, I read recent reviews, I rang the hotel directly 2 times to ensure the rooms we booked were the rooms we got. I stated clearly a harbour view, connecting suites with 1 king & 2x doubles... yes, yes, yes - it is definitely what we will get. Right.

Now you would think Accor would want to kiss my b*tt in trying to woo me away from my preferred Hilton Diamond status... as they claimed they would before I emailed my status details so they could upgrade my Accor club to match. Now this last few months alone I have spent just over $10,000 at Hilton - this kind of spend deems me to be a preferred guest & I get treated accordingly. I'm used to this standard. Accor knew this. Accor also knew that if they lived up to my expectations then I would also spend big with them. BTW I am not a corporate guest, rather a single parent who works very hard & enjoys luxury when on holidays (which comes out of my pocket, not a corporate expense account).

We arrived at 4.30. By 8.30 we had been refunded (to my credit card, which has yet to clear) in two portions because the badly trained duty manager didn't have a clue in how to do her job. There was no offer to refund me for my 3 lots of exchange rate bank transfer fee's (amounting almost $100) to make the booking & for it to be refunded.

We are now staying at a very highly awarded establishment in a beautiful top floor suite at half the price overlooking Wellington harbour. Our rate included valet parking, internet, a choice of a'la carte or hot buffet breakfast, welcome cocktails & a children's entertainment suite. This hotel knows how to treat their guests & I made sure I told them about Novotel Wellington.

I know where I'd rather be.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family