“Another great lobby”

QT Museum Wellington
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Loved the atmosphere. Very central and staff were very helpful. Even allowed for our motor to be parked late into afternoon as we had arrived late. I just love these delighters. This kind of service makes all the difference!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mguven
There are newer reviews for QT Museum Wellington

Reviewed January 6, 2010

Enjoyed the central location and harbour view. Bar drinks way over-priced. Towels needed replacing and upgrading. Poor porter service - were told that bags would be delivered to our room and had to inquire twice before someone from reception brought them to us. Would only choose to stay here if we had a view.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChucklesHamilton
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Since my stay at the Museum Hotel Wellington concluded on the very last day of 2009, I think I might just have just sneaked in and taken out their 2009 award for the guest making the most complaints during a single stay.

Things did not get off to a good start. The first thing I always do when I get inside a hotel room is turn on the TV (I don’t like the silence when I travel solo). So I set my luggage down, turned on the TV in my studio apartment and...nothing. Great. I’d just arrived off the Trans Scenic after a 12 hour journey from Auckland, was tired, in need of a shower and starving hungry, and now I’m thinking, if they can’t get the TV working, they may have to give me a new room, so now I have to wait until the guy comes to look at the TV before I can get comfortable and start to unpack.

Luckily he arrived promptly, poked around amongst the rats’ nest of electrical wires (slightly worrying in itself) under the desk and the TV revived. On his way out I let him know that a cupboard door in the kitchenette was hanging from the hinges and the toilet seat was loose, and he promised to report them for maintenance (next day the loo seat was fixed, but the cupboard stayed broken during my stay).

Having had nothing to eat since lunchtime (by this point it was nearly 9pm) my next priority was food, so having browsed the tempting room-service menu, I decided to make an order. After some discussion with the guy in the kitchen I managed to make him understand that my food needed to be gluten free, but then we hit another glitch; his computer was not working, which meant he would be unable to input my order. Off he went to talk to someone about it, leaving me hanging on the line (a few minutes is a long time when you’re hungry!). Then he came back on, only to tell me that he’d call me back for my order when the computer was fixed. At this point I was starting to get really quite testy and my stomach was doing the talking, so I suggested that perhaps he could get the kitchen to start cooking my meal, then update the computer once they fixed it. Happily, he saw the sense in this, and 20 minutes later I was the grateful recipient of a delicious meal, which I did very little justice by devouring in considerably less time that it took to order.

Unfortunately my travails in dining did not end there. The following day I purchased some burgers from the conveniently located New World supermarket on the corner, and brought them back to my room to cook for lunch. Right away, there was another problem. The large back burner on the electric stove top wasn’t working properly, and neither was the extractor fan hood. Another call to reception, another guy comes up, and can't fix it, but promises to report it for maintenance. Luckily, he says I’m unlikely to set off the smoke alarm cooking my burger, because “they’re not that sensitive”. I wasn't sure whether to be reassured or concerned.

Problem du jour for day three was my room service breakfast. Even though there was nothing on the order slip to say there would be toast included with the cooked breakfast, I should have known better. A favourite trick in cafes, hotels and restaurants which they like to use to terrorise the gluten intolerant is to distract you with the promise of eggs, any way you want, and grilled tomatoes, and hot crispy bacon, all gluten free, no problems, yum. After waiting hungrily you recieve your much anticipated breakfast, and uh-oh, there it is, like a hair in a salad. A surprise slice of toast. Helpfully, they usually bury it under the eggs, so that there’s just no way you can just remove it and pretend it wasn’t there. So back went my breakfast to the kitchen, and so much for my early start to the day, I had to wait another 20 minutes for breakfast number two.

But enough of my complaining. Despite everything, I did enjoy my stay, for a number of reasons.

The room was large and nicely decorated and furnished. I would have liked to have had a dining table, as the desk already held a flat-screen TV and DVD player, a lamp and a telephone, so once I’d set up my laptop , there was no room to eat there. I ended up sitting on the edge of the (very comfortable) chaise longue, and eating off the coffee table, which felt a bit too much like home for my liking.

But the one thing that I couldn’t fault was the bathroom. On my arrival I stuck my head in there to check out the facilities, and had to do a double take on discovering The Most Enormous Bathtub in the World™. This big-boy was so capacious I had to run the water for a good 20 minutes to fill it up. A warning to others: it's not a good idea to tip the entire (albeit small) bottle of bath gel into the spa bath. If I hadn't spent the first few minutes frantically bailing out the bubbles into the shower I'm certain I would have been engulfed, never to be seen again. Luckily for me, the foam eventually died down, and after I had swum a few laps I settled in for a long relaxing soak with a good book and a cold drink, bliss!

The bathroom also features a “rain” shower head, or for those who like to make music while they lather up, a separate shower hose with a rather nifty microphone-shaped head. Another shower hose is attached to the bath, which comes in rather handy for fighting off marauding bubbles.

The minibar is extensive, including items such as condoms, toothbrush and tampons, and very reasonably priced. A piccolo of bubbly was cheaper than the supermarket.

The food from the onsite restaurant is top-notch, you could easily get by without eating anywhere else though there are plenty of options nearby.

The Museum Hotel has a lot going for it location-wise. Not only is Te Papa on your doorstep but you’re also minutes from the city, bars, restaurants and the cable car. The Readings Cinema is two minutes walk away.

If the team at Museum can lift their game and pay a little more attention to maintenance and other details, this hotel could set the standard in central Wellington.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Booked with wotif and was placed on second floor corner rrom. Good size room with king bed but the room was dated.
Television died on 1st night and they were unable to fix so was relocated next door.
The hairdryer in new room didn't work but as I had packed my own I was not worried until I discovered there was only shaver plug connection in bathroom. Front drsk very helpful and promptly arrived with connector plug but I did not fit my hair dryer. They were happy to relocate us again to the newer apartment section of hotel, which was beautiful!!
Amazing bathromm,expresso machine, washer,dryer,dishwasher,oven etc.
So if you can try and stay in apartment section which is modern and fabulous!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We stayed at the Museum in November for three nights. The location is very good, the staff were friendly and the hotel, for the most part, was very nice. We stayed in a room with a harbour view, however, which was shabby, noisy and very dirty. Housekeeping was just not good enough and despite nice touches like free internet access, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCP29
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed in the Museum hotel Apartments for 3 nights and loved it. We booked a standard room and got upgraded to the apartment. The room was as tidy as it could be, perfect. The kingsize bed was awesome and the bath big enough to fit three people in it. The location is perfect, right next to the New World, so if you need some groceries or wine, its just around the corner. Its location near the waterfront is perfect for any tourist staying in Wellington. Would recommend it to any friend.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Great location across the street from the world class national museum... we had a spacious apartment room with tiny kitchen including washer/dryer. I learned later that not all the rooms have these amenities...loved the New World supermarket nearby and was able to walk to restaurants, shopping, cable car (to the lovely botanic gardens).

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple