“and the Sommelier wins”

QT Museum Wellington
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Really, this is a well thought out and quite excellent place. Best location, decor done well and the sommelier selected a wine that matched my expectations for the first time since Autumn of '96 in Hong Kong. What a good team. The front office receptionist is best-in-class too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I'm very proud of our prize winning team in Hippopotamus Restaurant. Your review was a wonderful treat for all of us thankyou, and see you again.
Chris Parkin 021 459146

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a particularly elegant hotel, full of art and right in the centre of Wellington opposite Te Papa with views of the harbour. The experience of staying there was a mix of the very good and the very bad. The room we stayed in was a deluxe harbour view, which was expensive but worth it for a lot of space and the really lovely views (including of a lovely Sunday morning market). They put real art in the rooms, including in ours a really delightful little sculpture. Given this, I couldn't understand why they had those stupid anti-theft coat hangers. I mean, if they don't think you're going to steal the art, why do they think you'd steal a coat hanger? The bed was nice and big, but the bed linen was pretty frightful. The sheets were not 100% cotton and instead of a duvet with a cover there was a horrible eiderdown that looked like it had never been washed - complete with suspicious white stain (more 'art'?).

However, I probably could have washed it myself, as the hotel has a wonderful guest laundry where FOR FREE you can do your own washing. They even supply washing powder. This was an amazing resource to have, especially when hotels usually charge you around $5 to wash a pair of knickers. There are dryers, too.

The gym was basic but OK, but the real issue was the sauna. Instead of keeping it on all the time it is left for the guests to switch on when they want to use it. It takes 25 mins to heat up. Fine - I arrived, pressed the switch, did my workout, had a swim and then - yes, it had switched itself off again. I could not get it above the temperature of 'fairly warm room' however hard I tried.

The hotel has two lifts. The one you use to get to the gym (and the apartments) is operated by key card only. I didn't realise this (my partner had checked us in - I don't know if they explained this to him) and got in with someone else. She got out on a different floor, the doors shut and then... Nothing. The doors wouldn't open and I couldn't get the lift to go anywhere. Obviously I immediately panicked and pressed all the wrong buttons but I'm pretty sure the 'help' function didn't do anything. I was basically terrified. When I complained they were a bit patronising and simply offered me a free cup of tea, which I did not accept. A stiff drink would have been more like it.

Their attitude in general was a bit haughty and unhelpful. For example, we'd requested an early check in because my partner was having his book launch at 4pm. The usual check in is 3pm and we needed to get ready but they were a bit like, 'Maybe, we'll see, but we can't guarantee anything'. We did get in to the room by around 1.30, but we had to do a lot of hassling to make this happen.

I am not even going to start on the dreadful breakfast at Hippopotamus (their restaurant). It is hugely expensive and complicated. If you're not on total expenses, don't even bother. If two of you wanted French toast and a cup of coffee each, you're looking at $60.

We walked past Ohtel at some point, which had been our second choice, and it was nowhere near as well situated or impressive-looking (there is a gigantic hippo outside Museum Hotel which some kids stopped to take a photo of) so I think we probably made the right choice - but for these prices everything should be right, and it isn't.

Room Tip: It is worth getting a harbour view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scar T

Thanks for your comprehensive review. Regarding the Sauna, one of the 3 elements had failed, and your comment has actioned repair. That was a first, so it's now on our regular maintenance checklist.
Your comments on our Breakfast would have been more helpful if they were more specific. For $25 per person, you can enjoy our full buffet of, juices, fresh and preserved fruit, cereals, cheeses, cold cuts including salmon, yoghurt, eggs, bacon, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausages, coffee and tea, in unlimited quantities (or you can enjoy our a la carte selection for the same price). Frankly,there isn't a restaurant or cafe, and certainly not an Hotel in Wellington where you can get better value!
Lift security is now almost universal in Hotels, and I'm sorry you felt trapped. For next time, if you find yourself in the same situation, press the button marked "lobby". It will work in all Hotels.
Early check-ins are always a difficulty in busy Hotels, as there is not a lot of time between previous guests departing and new guests arriving. My staff do their best to please everyone and as you can imagine everyone thinks that their particular need is greater than others. I'm sorry the extra 1.5 hours you had didnt seem to be enough, but I'm sure it was the best we could do.
We look forward to your next stay. Please contact me if I can be of any help. Chris Parkin 021 459146.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was there for a conference and the room I got smelt and air con wasn't working so the lovely helpful staff changed my room with minimum of fuss. The bedding was nice and comfortable.
Really appreciated the service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Excellent staff, good service and warm welcome. Staying here overnight or for a few weeks at a time is never a problem. All my wishes were met promptly and simply with no fuss, even to the furniture arrangement and replacement of one table. Fantastic. The hotel features art works on every floor and the lobby/reception/bar area is filled with wonderful works from NZ and elsewhere. Housekeeping is very good. The Hippopotamous Restaurant is not cheap but is very good with a splendid wine list and people who know what they doing and do it well. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the "apartment" wing and floors above level five have some good views acr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Have stayed here a few years ago and looked forward to another night, and was not disappointed. The rooms are tidy, well appointed and comfortable. Despite being in the city no sound was heard from the streets below, but it was midweek. I loved the deep bath and the large shower. I also drank in the bar and dined at Hippopotamus, the hotel restaurant and had good experiences with both. This is one of the more upmarket hotels in Wellington and the rates reflect this, but good value for money.

Room Tip: Look to book a last minute deal for a better price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The museum hotel is situated across the road from Te Papa and in walking distance to Courtney Place, so is in a perfect location.

We had great service throughout our stay with staff friendly and prompt.

We had a room in the residential wing and its well appointed. The iPod docking station didnt work, but Im confident if we requested another one it wouldnt have been any trouble for the staff.

The rooms are very hot though, luckily we had an opening window. There is also Air Con, but seems odd to have air con on to cool down a room in the middle of winter!

The pool is good and the spa also hot which was great.

We didnt eat in the restaurant so cant comment on this one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

On arrival we were warmly greeted and helped with our bags. So much art and interesting stuff to see! Rooms were not as big as I thought they would be nor the bathroom but it was plenty big enough. The bed was supercomfy and you even get a pillow choice...Double bath was great too. Was close to many great bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple